METRORail Central Station Main

Eiknujrac

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I got this link in an email today:

http://www.gometrora...tm_medium=email

Thought you guys might be interested in it. While exciting for me personally, I am surprised they are building a dedicated transfer station only 2 blocks away from Main Street Square or Preston.

Hmmm ....Im wondering if "Central Station" may have a positive impact on developing a certain lot Hines owns next door.

Would've been awesome if Shamrock Tower had become a reality.

One of the reasons why I prefer this (#1) design is that it could possibly provide a "cool zone". If this is successful, then I hope it can be used in the other stations that may need it.

As far as the rain goes, I would imagine that since it lays between buildings, slanting rain won't be a problem. Now WIND during the rains, well, that's a totally different problem altogether.

I'm no meteorologist, but I always thought wind was what causes rain to come in at an angle?

What is the significance of the Central Station other than the name? Will all of the lines cross at that point? I thought the transit center that was supposed to be built was to be the "Central Station?"

Two lines will; the east and southeast lines will cross the Red Line very nearby.

Two lines will; the east and southeast lines will cross the Red Line very nearby.

Oh yeah, won't that be the only same level (touching) innersection of passanger rail in the world? I remember hearing something about that a few years back.

Oh yeah, won't that be the only same level (touching) innersection of passanger rail in the world? I remember hearing something about that a few years back.

Let me think.

CTA_loop_junction.jpg

No.

I'm no meteorologist, but I always thought wind was what causes rain to come in at an angle?

Having been in downtown when it rains, it does rain at a slight angle, but when you go between buildings and there is a good wind, it turns into a significant wind tunnel.

Let me think.

CTA_loop_junction.jpg

No.

Having been in downtown when it rains, it does rain at a slight angle, but when you go between buildings and there is a good wind, it turns into a significant wind tunnel.

Rico, I meant to say at ground level where cars and pedestrians are also in the mix.

LOL. Of course you did... How about this one then?

http://en.wikipedia....nd_Junction.jpg

Well then, LOL!

To get more specific how about the first light rail? That picture is of a street car in Toronto....well that is pretty much what Houston's light rail is (a street car) so I guess you all win. With that said, I know I remember reading that before.

Well then, LOL!

To get more specific how about the first light rail? That picture is of a street car in Toronto....well that is pretty much what Houston's light rail is (a street car) so I guess you all win. With that said, I know I remember reading that before.

It wouldn't perhaps have been an article with an anti-rail slant?

Well then, LOL!

Well, that's all that Houston's light rail needs to be. It's like San Francisco's Muni light rail. Yes, elevated sections in Downtown, Uptown, and the TMC would be ideal (and perhaps overpasses happen in the future). Houston does not need a system like the one up here in DFW. You see how terrible Dallas' light rail ridership per mile is? Houston's one line currently is ridden more than any of DART's light rail lines. What Houston has is an inner city urban rail system, and then commuter rail will branch out into the suburbs. I really do wish leaders back in the 70s/80s had gotten on board with heavy rail, because who knows what development would look like in the city today.

Well, that's all that Houston's light rail needs to be. It's like San Francisco's Muni light rail. Yes, elevated sections in Downtown, Uptown, and the TMC would be ideal (and perhaps overpasses happen in the future). Houston does not need a system like the one up here in DFW. You see how terrible Dallas' light rail ridership per mile is? Houston's one line currently is ridden more than any of DART's light rail lines. What Houston has is an inner city urban rail system, and then commuter rail will branch out into the suburbs. I really do wish leaders back in the 70s/80s had gotten on board with heavy rail, because who knows what development would look like in the city today.

City leaders did not doom the heavy rail in 1983. Voters did. The plan was generally horrible and hugely expensive. If I recall correctly, it was to cost $2.35 Billion to build 19 miles of heavy rail. Keep in mind that was 1983 dollars. At today's dollars, that would cost over $5.1 Billion.

City leaders did not doom the heavy rail in 1983. Voters did. The plan was generally horrible and hugely expensive. If I recall correctly, it was to cost $2.35 Billion to build 19 miles of heavy rail. Keep in mind that was 1983 dollars. At today's dollars, that would cost over $5.1 Billion.

I feel like it would have still been a good investment. Good infrastructure costs a lot, and we are seeing that with our multi-billion dollar freeway facelifts.

I was looking back at the submissions and i had an idea for #4 that i think would improve the design. What if they got rid of that pattern and added thin LED screen panels. Those two vertical pieces could be used to run houston tourism clips, advertisements, tv channels, etc. The top of the horizontal 'stop' section could runner ticker type of screens or multiple screens on that area.

Thsi could be like a mini-Times Square and could add synergy and possibly even attract those who aren't catching the train. They could show Texans, Astros, or Rockets games on the vertical pieces so people can watch or catch a score as they are walking down the street. It adds something to the street.

I was looking back at the submissions and i had an idea for #4 that i think would improve the design. What if they got rid of that pattern and added thin LED screen panels. Those two vertical pieces could be used to run houston tourism clips, advertisements, tv channels, etc. The top of the horizontal 'stop' section could runner ticker type of screens or multiple screens on that area.

Thsi could be like a mini-Times Square and could add synergy and possibly even attract those who aren't catching the train. They could show Texans, Astros, or Rockets games on the vertical pieces so people can watch or catch a score as they are walking down the street. It adds something to the street.

I still like the visual appeal of #1 better, however I think this is a great idea and if that could successfully be it would make a great addition to the line and maybe boost foot traffic in the process.

I don't think we should make a Times Square comparison but I do get what you mean by it.

Well then, LOL!

The street cars in Toronto are smaller though. A bit smaller than a typical Metro bus I think. The metro trains are huge in comparison, especially the double length trains they run at rush hour. So it'll be different than the Toronto streetcar junction in that sense. That's just from memory though so maybe I'm wrong. Last time I rode on one of those was probably 2003 or 2004. Here's a picture but I'd be interested to see a comparison.

torskyline.jpg

The street cars in Toronto are smaller though. A bit smaller than a typical Metro bus I think. The metro trains are huge in comparison, especially the double length trains they run at rush hour. So it'll be different than the Toronto streetcar junction in that sense. That's just from memory though so maybe I'm wrong. Last time I rode on one of those was probably 2003 or 2004. Here's a picture but I'd be interested to see a comparison.

torskyline.jpg

Toronto's streetcars are 49 feet in length, almost exactly one half the length of Houston's 96 foot cars.

Thanks for looking that up. I tried to Google it, didn't come up with anything, and then I had to run. I just remembered from when I used to live in Canada that the street cars always felt kind of small compared to the light rail here.

• 1 month later...

From Metro:

CENTRAL STATION - MAIN DESIGN COMPETITION

Thank you for your interest in the Central Station Main Design Competition. The public comment period has ended. Please refer back to this site in early March when METRO will release the information on the winning design.

• 1 month later...

We

From Metro:

CENTRAL STATION - MAIN DESIGN COMPETITION

Thank you for your interest in the Central Station Main Design Competition. The public comment period has ended. Please refer back to this site in early March when METRO will release the information on the winning design.

Have they announced a winner yet? Wasn't it supposed to be announced in early March?

• 6 months later...

Archived