METRORail Central Station Main

Eiknujrac

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went to Metro's blog and noticed they had a design competition for this station:

maindesign3.jpg

I had to leave before hearing presentations #4 and #5 - butclick here to see close-up artist renderings of all the designs, including drawings and explanations.

Then comment and vote online for your favorite design. Do you like the shape or color? Will it make your METRORail experience better? Does it represent downtown?

A jury will consider your comments when it selects the winning design.

http://blogs.ridemetro.org/blogs/write_on/archive/2012/01/25/Rail-Station-Design-Competition.aspx

I have to say my favorite is #1, because it's glass and the design is sleek and will prove to be more timeless. That's how I view a lot of Houston architecture, people may say it's not edgy enough, but to me, Houston architecture is about being timeless and classy, and I think that's what #1 will do.

Maybe someone nearby can go take pictures?! :)

Competition entries are on exhibit in the first floor lobbies of the METRO Administration Building, 1900 Main Street, and Chase Bank Building, 712 Main Street, Downtown, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. (Starting January 25 at 12:00 p.m. through February 10 at 5:00 p.m.)

No kidding, not just boring though, I would say looks old (not in a good way) and run down and it hasn't even been built yet.

So would that mean it's considered timeless? :P

Did you notice it was already twisted - so when a hurricane blows through - it already has it's damage built in.

Looking at it closer, #4's spider column support concept is pretty cool. But I still don't think that elements put's it ahead of #1.

I'll give you the spider column support being interesting, but those muti-colored tiles? I've seen other cities try to put that sort of look up, never looks good in my opinion.

So would that mean it's considered timeless? :P

Did you notice it was already twisted - so when a hurricane blows through - it already has it's damage built in.

Haha, that last bit made me laugh loud enough for people to look over.

Maybe that can be Houston's version of forward progressive thinking. Hurricane and flood damage from day one so you don't need to fix anything after they come through. It will make all the crooked power lines look like they are supposed to be like that.

I go with #1 also. I didn't even realize that they were adding another station and I ride it twice a day. It is currently kind of a hike from Preston to Main St Sqr. so this will add convenience.

#1 is the only thing that stands out as being unique.

#2 looks "mailed in." They either don't care or already know they've got an in somewhere and will get the job no matter how uninspired the proposal.

#3 is just red. Other than the color, there's nothing special about. Maybe as a consolation prize it can be built out at UH's main campus.

#4 have no idea what they are trying to accomplish with this thing other than someone did a lot of coke in the 80s.

#5 is a solid second place.

#1 is the only thing that stands out as being unique.

#2 looks "mailed in." They either don't care or already know they've got an in somewhere and will get the job no matter how uninspired the proposal.

#3 is just red. Other than the color, there's nothing special about. Maybe as a consolation prize it can be built out at UH's main campus.

#4 have no idea what they are trying to accomplish with this thing other than someone did a lot of coke in the 80s.

#5 is a solid second place.

That is a great post. I agree 100%. #1 is the definitely the best . Let's hope whoever is judging this competition goes with their heart and not the wallet.

You know, saving a buck is great but when you build things for the ages (especially public things) it should be a crime to skimp.

Yes. That goes for EVERYTHING! Save a buck anywhere you want, but NOT when it comes to things that will be there for decades and define an entire genre.

So #1 seems to be the general consensus. Who wants to bet #1 is never picked. :D

I bet #1 gets picked, they put out a ton of renderings but then run into money problems so it is delayed. We then talk about it for 2 to 3 years and eventually they decide #2 is the only option banks will fund because it has lower initial cost. It get's put into place, it does not take off because people just forget it's there as nothing stands out about it, and it might just blend in with aging dumpsters. The news gets hold of how it was once supposed to be a big deal but how under used it is and all the train naysayers claim the rail is a huge waste of money.

That is a great post. I agree 100%. #1 is the definitely the best . Let's hope whoever is judging this competition goes with their heart and not the wallet.

You know, saving a buck is great but when you build things for the ages (especially public things) it should be a crime to skimp.

Yes. That goes for EVERYTHING! Save a buck anywhere you want, but NOT when it comes to things that will be there for decades and define an entire genre.

Couldn't agree with you more.

maindesign3.jpg

#1 - Looks the most futuristic without being cheesy, and think it will stand up well over the years without looking dated.

#2 - Looks like a waste of money only because, I agree with KinkaidAlum and it looks phoned in.

#3 - Looks like something out of a space themed FPS, and the red looks menacing rather than welcoming. Don't they know that blue is more soothing to the eyes?

#4 - Looks like it uses lots of glass, which means that it will crack often and the city will take it's sweet time to replace the panels when they do

#5 - Looks like a target for graffiti since it looks like a white canvas ready to get tagged.

My vote is for number #1

Surprised there is no poll in this thread.

since trains are a throwback to a bygone era, maybe the station should also be a throwback... where's the art deco train station entry? :)

(and I'm another vote for #1)

I have to agree with you, Tumbleweed TX. Remnants of the original train station covered walkway pillars can still be seen, behind the main post office. I sometimes see them from the freeway. Would be nice to have at least one design echoing our huge history with trains.

I do like no. 1 the best, as well. Looks nice at night,glowing. But is it supposed to be functional? What happens in a heavy downpour, with a slanted rain?

I have to agree with you, Tumbleweed TX. Remnants of the original train station covered walkway pillars can still be seen, behind the main post office. I sometimes see them from the freeway. Would be nice to have at least one design echoing our huge history with trains.

I do like no. 1 the best, as well. Looks nice at night,glowing. But is it supposed to be functional? What happens in a heavy downpour, with a slanted rain?

One of the reasons why I prefer this (#1) design is that it could possibly provide a "cool zone". If this is successful, then I hope it can be used in the other stations that may need it.

As far as the rain goes, I would imagine that since it lays between buildings, slanting rain won't be a problem. Now WIND during the rains, well, that's a totally different problem altogether.

Archived