Encouraging Houston Tourism - What would you do?

Nick_G

Ah! It seems we're talking about two different things... You're referring to the construction of a site that highlights existing Houston-area attractions. I'm referring to the construction of new Houston-area attractions.

Yes, I agree that the content relating to such a site would be easy to compile (especially in the way you've suggested) and that the bigger challenge - and the most immediate need - would be in the delivery of the marketing message.

Simbha you and I area also talking about two different things.

Which is probably part of the confusion.

The area that I will be focusing on will be the attractions and restaurants that we already have and directions on how to experience these places while showing Houston in the best light possible (i.e. the best 360 experience). We do already have a lot in Houston, a large part of the problem that was brought up in this thread, is that many of the people in Houston are not thinking about what is already available to them (most probably because they are transplants). However, the number of transplants in the city also means that there are friends and family other places that could justify a visit purely to see these people. The goal would be for them to come to Houston again and again because how much fun they have rather then the transplants visiting friends and families in whatever city or town they came from.

The area that you are looking to focus is continuous improvement of the city. As I have also mentioned several times across this board but less so on this thread is also very important. This of course corresponds very well with what I am trying to do and they definitely have a symbiotic relationship.

My site can focus on how to best experience Houston, your site can focus on the vision for the future and we can feed off each other.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simbha you and I area also talking about two different things.

Which is probably part of the confusion.

The area that I will be focusing on will be the attractions and restaurants that we already have and directions on how to experience these places while showing Houston in the best light possible (i.e. the best 360 experience). We do already have a lot in Houston, a large part of the problem that was brought up in this thread, is that many of the people in Houston are not thinking about what is already available to them (most probably because they are transplants). However, the number of transplants in the city also means that there are friends and family other places that could justify a visit purely to see these people. The goal would be for them to come to Houston again and again because how much fun they have rather then the transplants visiting friends and families in whatever city or town they came from.

The area that you are looking to focus is continuous improvement of the city. As I have also mentioned several times across this board but less so on this thread is also very important. This of course corresponds very well with what I am trying to do and they definitely have a symbiotic relationship.

My site can focus on how to best experience Houston, your site can focus on the vision for the future and we can feed off each other.

Well, I have no interest in building a site, although I'd be happy to support any worthwhile endeavor initiated by someone else.

Anyway, there are several sites that focus on the development of new attractions for Houston - most notably ToryGattis's site, Houston Strategies.

Well, I have no interest in building a site, although I'd be happy to support any worthwhile endeavor initiated by someone else.

Anyway, there are several sites that focus on the development of new attractions for Houston - most notably ToryGattis's site, Houston Strategies.

That is great that there are sites that focus on the development of new attractions for Houston and I hope that people like ToryGattis continue to encourage this.

I strongly believe in the effort to put up something that truly shows people how to best experience the city and will continue with that effort at www.thebayoucity.org.

My vision for this would be collecting pictures and descriptions of the best attractions from each part of the city, from people who actually live in that part of the city. In addition to a general overview, the descriptions would include the most aesthetic / fun way to get to that destination and the best way to enjoy the attraction (again how the locals do).

In addition there will be links to sites and mentioning in news and announcements of proposed or future projects.

I have already put up the funds to register the site and will compile everything. Where I could definitely use help is taking high quality pictures of all the places that people suggest to go and encouraging everyone on the haif to particpate. I will do my part with this as well, but I am only one person and things can get done much quicker with help.

If you currently visit www.thebayoucity.org, I started constructing it last night (there is not much up yet but construction will be visible for those who would like to follow), i would like to point out a little more vision.

In addition to what I mentioned above I would like to have RSS feeds from the latest forum entries from thehaif, latest blog entries from swamplot and a community calender of events.

Comments and constructive criticism on this thread as we go along are appreciated.

While we could debate over money well spent or wasted. Expanding the convention district downtown to attract larger conventions could only help Houston Tourism. More Hotels, fill in empty lots. I particularly like the example given about IAH, it won't lead to tourism immediately. In a perfect world, someone who comes from New Jersey (maybe in the dead of winter) for a large convention; gets excited at IAH about downtown, goes to convention, likes surrounding area, Discovery Green downtown ect, then brings their family back for vacation.

My story is missing a couple key pieces to an average convention visitor.

1. No train to get to Downtown, I guess they take cab or rent car.

2. Minus discovery green, still missing that excitment factor that would bring them back to visit around the convention center.

I have traveled for work/conferences and came back for a vacation. Examples, San Antonio, San Diego.

Good stuff on this thread, great responses.

If you currently visit www.thebayoucity.org, I started constructing it last night (there is not much up yet but construction will be visible for those who would like to follow), i would like to point out a little more vision.

In addition to what I mentioned above I would like to have RSS feeds from the latest forum entries from thehaif, latest blog entries from swamplot and a community calender of events.

Comments and constructive criticism on this thread as we go along are appreciated.

Nick, I applaud the initiative you're taking here, but I'd advise taking it slower - developing a site plan/scope and determining what the best way to execute is.

For example, you're attempting to do something which is geared somewhat toward out-of-towners, presumably. They wouldn't really understand the differences between the areas you've used as categories on your site (e.g., Downtown, Midtown).

If you're serious about putting something together, I'm happy to help guide you - but that discussion should occur outside the forum itself so we're not talking about details that are uninteresting to most of the people on HAIF. Please feel free to PM me and we can communicate offline.

I agree with Niche's original posting on this matter - that you should strive to build a site that consolidates information from other, existing sites. And, it should probably be professionally designed. Again, we can talk about the details offline.

I'll look for your response - either via the thread here or via PM.

Nick, I applaud the initiative you're taking here, but I'd advise taking it slower - developing a site plan/scope and determining what the best way to execute is.

This is a work in progress, we can change things as we go along. The size and scope will depend on the response we get from everyone. I will begin compiling what I have when I get it (an admittedly slow process but I don't think that is a problem), some of this will be from my own footwork especially if others are not looking to input.

For example, you're attempting to do something which is geared somewhat toward out-of-towners, presumably. They wouldn't really understand the differences between the areas you've used as categories on your site (e.g., Downtown, Midtown).

Each area will have a general description and map of where it is, also how to get there is a big part of the site. I disagree about not categorizing them in areas, when visiting any city it has it's own specific areas and that is usually how I go about finding a place when I am a tourist.

I agree with Niche's original posting on this matter - that you should strive to build a site that consolidates information from other, existing sites. And, it should probably be professionally designed. Again, we can talk about the details offline.

We have a large group of critics here, a focus group if you will, as the site develops we can make changes with suggestions. I disagree about it needing to be professionally designed, I believe we can accomplish what we like to on our own. As for the details being off line, unless we are breaking any forum rules my thoughts are the development can be discussed here. I would be interested to hear peoples feedback.

Most importantly, by no means view what is up there as a final product, it is about an hours worth of work in my spare time one night.

• 2 months later...

I think we'd do better by leveraging one of our strengths, like cancer (the curing of, not the making of).

I think that campaign also includes an ad regarding the TMC. While the Cancer Center is probably more important, free thinkers are one of our strengths as well. And it's a strength not generally perceived or recognized. Therefore, worthy of promotion.

Having said all of that, I'm not particularly crazy about this campaign. It's okay. But seems like we're trying a little too hard.

While the Cancer Center is probably more important, free thinkers are one of our strengths as well. And it's a strength not generally perceived or recognized. Therefore, worthy of promotion.

I agree that we have them; I'm not sure how to articulate them.

I think we'd do better by leveraging one of our strengths, like cancer (the curing of, not the making of).

Actually both the making and curing of cancer are one of our strengths. With the cluster of chemical plants and refineries around here - it makes perfect sense that TMC is strong in curing cancer - it has plenty of practice.

This will encourage them! from the Wall Street Journal.

577816_10150727451489098_47107964097_9234798_1858006767_n.jpg

A pathetic attempt. I've seen better ads for Branson, Missouri. I have a feeling Houston's strengths could be better portrayed and exhibited. But one thing is for sure. We are not genreally known for tourism anymore. I think.

Houston has nothing to see for tourists. I don't think anyone comes here for tourism anyway, just business or visiting family. I heard there is a good railroad museum in Galveston. I'm going to check out Villa de Matel soon as well. But still, just not that city, and I don't think it ever will be, just not much of historical significance here.

Houston has nothing to see for tourists. I don't think anyone comes here for tourism anyway, just business or visiting family. I heard there is a good railroad museum in Galveston. I'm going to check out Villa de Matel soon as well. But still, just not that city, and I don't think it ever will be, just not much of historical significance here.

In most places in the world, tourism is primarily about visiting friends/family or doing business. That's the nature of the game. For example, Chicago has roughly 45 million tourists per year, but an estimated 69% of these are regional travelers - leaving roughly 14 million as other travelers. Compare that to Houston's figures: Of the 30 million visitors we see, roughly 60% are regional - leaving roughly 12 million as others. So, in other words... While Houston and Chicago are nearly 15 million apart in total tourists, we are only 2 million below them in non-regional tourists. That's not half-bad! The key is to make the city as welcoming as possible to these groups.

Tourism isn't (always) about history. It's about experience. And, Houston does have that in spades - and can continue to build on its existing offerings. Imagine, for example, coming to Houston to tour the world's largest medical complex - including its cutting-edge research - or visiting the highest concentration of petrochemical facilities in the world.

These things may not appeal to you - but they are things that are attractive to a subset of the global population. We simply don't have the infrastructure in place yet to take advantage of these offerings.

And, Houston has secondary offerings which are incredibly important - music, arts, shopping, etc.

Houston has the pieces to build a strong tourism strategy; it just needs better connectors and marketing.

This will encourage them! from the Wall Street Journal.

577816_10150727451489098_47107964097_9234798_1858006767_n.jpg

This ad so lame it practically makes my eyeballs bleed. The logic here is similar to wearing a tee-shirt made up to say “I’m really a very cool person” in the expectation that people will then come up to you and say “I see by your shirt that you are very cool. Will you be my friend?” One would have to be fairly delusional to believe that this communicates anything other than that Houston must be extremely insecure in its identity. I wouldn’t think that the truly funky among us feel compelled to advertise the fact, much less using such an inane typeface.

And what is with parking the Art Car in front of the St Regis hotel? Are readers supposed to infer that those funkified Houstonians stay at five-star hotels? If anything, the crowd at the St Regis is probably fairly funk-free, almost by definition.

My guess is that the people who believe that this actually constitutes effective image building are precisely the same crowd that thinks dubbing an area “Eado” is a good idea; that funkiness can somehow be magically conjured up by marketing gimmicks.

Houston will never be a domestic tourist destination. Beyond the TMC and energy industries, it has little to offer that you can't find in any other American city. In many ways, it's worse than any other city -- car centric, bad climate, boring landscape and subpar beaches. Exceptions: visitors from Latin America, who seem to love Houston.

I think any advertising Houston does should be 100% business oriented. The city should stop trying to get personal tourism business that will never come. Instead, it should just not care, move past insecurities about the things I mentioned above, and focus on its strengths, particularly the business friendly environment and industry strengths in energy and medicine. Advertising should say things like: "Houston. Where things get done," or "Houston. World's most sophisticated medical care."

To add to the previous posters, the TMC absolutely does bring in prominent national and international visitors. The nature of modern science means that every research group has many collaborators from across the world. Also, TMC institutions host seminars, workshops, symposia, conferences, etc. on a regular basis. All these people come because of the quality of work done in the TMC and the critical mass of people. But a very common question is "ok, the conference is over; what else is there to do?"

This ad so lame it practically makes my eyeballs bleed. The logic here is similar to wearing a tee-shirt made up to say “I’m really a very cool person” in the expectation that people will then come up to you and say “I see by your shirt that you are very cool. Will you be my friend?” One would have to be fairly delusional to believe that this communicates anything other than that Houston must be extremely insecure in its identity. I wouldn’t think that the truly funky among us feel compelled to advertise the fact, much less using such an inane typeface.

And what is with parking the Art Car in front of the St Regis hotel? Are readers supposed to infer that those funkified Houstonians stay at five-star hotels? If anything, the crowd at the St Regis is probably fairly funk-free, almost by definition.

My guess is that the people who believe that this actually constitutes effective image building are precisely the same crowd that thinks dubbing an area “Eado” is a good idea; that funkiness can somehow be magically conjured up by marketing gimmicks.

Ah, but you haven't heard of my latest-and-greatest scheme... To place George Clinton in the mayor's office! Other cities are quaking in their boots just thinking about it...

Houston will never be a domestic tourist destination. Beyond the TMC and energy industries, it has little to offer that you can't find in any other American city. In many ways, it's worse than any other city -- car centric, bad climate, boring landscape and subpar beaches. Exceptions: visitors from Latin America, who seem to love Houston.

I think any advertising Houston does should be 100% business oriented. The city should stop trying to get personal tourism business that will never come. Instead, it should just not care, move past insecurities about the things I mentioned above, and focus on its strengths, particularly the business friendly environment and industry strengths in energy and medicine. Advertising should say things like: "Houston. Where things get done," or "Houston. World's most sophisticated medical care."

To add to the previous posters, the TMC absolutely does bring in prominent national and international visitors. The nature of modern science means that every research group has many collaborators from across the world. Also, TMC institutions host seminars, workshops, symposia, conferences, etc. on a regular basis. All these people come because of the quality of work done in the TMC and the critical mass of people. But a very common question is "ok, the conference is over; what else is there to do?"

Well, I don't disagree with your statement about the focus on business and science, but I do disagree with (part of) first paragraph...

Let's not forget that Orlando has, essentially, the same climate as Houston. Forgetting for a moment about the occasional tropical storm/hurricane we see, they are both humid subtropical. And, Orlando (and LA) are largely car-centric locales. Yet, both are considered strong tourist stops - because of the (perceived) unique offerings. If Houston were to build a strong brand with the appropriate tourist nodes, it would be able to achieve the same, I believe.

The problem with the ad that LarryDierker posted isn't that it focuses on 'funkiness' - but that it's advertising reinforcement of a brand that doesn't yet exist for the city/region. If Houston were to tout itself as Space City (made more difficult with the very public rejection of Houston's bid for a shuttle), it could reasonably advertise itself as such. But, here Houston's marketers are using advertising before branding - and that's a HUGE no-no.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Houston first needs to decide precisely how it's branding itself. It needs to be a clear, communicable, resonant and deliberate image that it's broadcasting to the target audience. Once this has been established, THEN Houston can spend its money on advertising. Advertising (alone) to establish brand rarely works.

The problem with the ad that LarryDierker posted isn't that it focuses on 'funkiness' - but that it's advertising reinforcement of a brand that doesn't yet exist for the city/region. If Houston were to tout itself as Space City (made more difficult with the very public rejection of Houston's bid for a shuttle), it could reasonably advertise itself as such. But, here Houston's marketers are using advertising before branding - and that's a HUGE no-no.

On the other hand, I don't see 'Space City' as all that compelling. Is harkening back to the days of the manned space program such a draw for most people?

On the other hand, I don't see 'Space City' as all that compelling. Is harkening back to the days of the manned space program such a draw for most people?

Agreed... and another issue is that other regions (albeit much smaller) have a compelling case for calling themselves this (e.g., Cape Canaveral, Huntsville AL... even West Lafayette, IN).

Regardless, we've lost much credibility as 'Space City' with the loss of the shuttle. As I've stated before, I think our branding should instead focus on our bayous - and we should focus (partially) on their redevelopment. This is a relatively unique feature about Houston, and a geographic one to boot. At the same time, I still hold that we should focus on our strength as an engineering/technology region. As Niche has pointed out (relentlessly), the city has grown organically - as cities should - and I think a focus on marketing our 'organically-grown' strengths would suit us well.

1. Bayou is a nice word for swamp.

2. We aren't Southern Louisiana.

1 --> That's one definition, surely - but it's not the only one. The term 'bayou' also refers to a slow-moving stream, of which Houston has plenty (at least a dozen - maybe up to 20).

2 --> Thanks for clarifying. I've always been confused about that.

It's like Space City. No unique claim to the word bayou, and other places do it better. FWIW, I've spent enough time here and in Southern Louisiana to appreciate the economic and cultural differences. While the region has many charms, and most of my relatives live there, bayou isn't evocative of a global, cosmopolitan city.

It's like Space City. No unique claim to the word bayou, and other places do it better. FWIW, I've spent enough time here and in Southern Louisiana to appreciate the economic and cultural differences. While the region has many charms, and most of my relatives live there, bayou isn't evocative of a global, cosmopolitan city.

Fair point, but I still think it's better than Space City.

We need a theme park. And I dont mean way out in the middle of nowhere.

And we should probably bring those NASA rockets somewhere closed to the city. perhaps midtown. in the superblock. Or next to the new theme park.

More residential towers in downtown and midtown.

We need a theme park. And I dont mean way out in the middle of nowhere.

And we should probably bring those NASA rockets somewhere closed to the city. perhaps midtown. in the superblock. Or next to the new theme park.

More residential towers in downtown and midtown.

If Dallas had all of those things, would it motivate you to visit Dallas? No. Of course not! It'd still be Dallas.

Traditional non-business non-family-visitation tourism is generated by an aura of rarified authenticity (as opposed to Houston's commonplace authenticity) or by immersive contrivance (as opposed to isolated contrivance, such as the beer can house or the Downtown Aquarium).

Houston does not have what it takes, not by itself. East-central Texas does, however. If you take the nightlife and eco-tourism of Austin, the history (and yes, the theme parks) of San Antonio, the multi-ethnic flavor, luxury shopping, and high culture of Houston, the beaches and cruises of Galveston, and perhaps a stop-off in downtown Brenham to provide easy access to the stereotypical rural experience of Texas...that would make an honest to goodness destination. There would be enough activites to effectively target every single tourism market segment (with the sole exception of winter sports enthusiasts).

But every city needs Houston's airport, and Houston needs every other city in general. Without a regional marketing strategy that specifically excludes Dallas (because Dallas is boring and only complicates our marketing effort with extraneous information) and a 300+ mph bullet train, my feeling on the subject is that we shouldn't even bother trying to actively lure tourists.

Archived