Encouraging Houston Tourism - What would you do?

Nick_G

It may not be the best, but I created a blog on Blogspot yesterday, called Visit Houston: http://visithouston.blogspot.com/. I'd be happy to include anyone else as authors, as long as it's kept civil and accurate. I haven't actually posted anything yet.

If anyone has any better suggestions, please let us know.

I think the blog site would be the perfect companion to a fully functional informative site. We can have all of the places to go and how to do it on the informative site and peoples actual experiences doing so on the blog.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It may not be the best, but I created a blog on Blogspot yesterday, called Visit Houston: http://visithouston.blogspot.com/. I'd be happy to include anyone else as authors, as long as it's kept civil and accurate. I haven't actually posted anything yet.

If anyone has any better suggestions, please let us know.

I appreciate the enthusiasm, but I think that it'd probably take somewhat advanced programming to organize the information well. I could be wrong, but I doubt that there's any off-the-shelf platform that would do what we want it to do.

Think of what a 'smart' dayplanner might do for a tourist. They get to plug in their arrival and departure places and times and their lodging information, any constraints on their schedule (such as working hours and a workplace for a business traveler), and then schedule to fill in the gaps in that schedule. If they do not have lodging, the software would be able to suggest options near the place of arrival/departure or the workplace. If there are no constraints, it would wait until after the schedule is filled in to suggest lodging that is optimized for routes and budget.

A brief quiz can be used to establish the parameters of destinations that would be suggested. Some tourists love to walk, others are loathe to walk. Some tourists want the scenic route; others may prefer or require the faster route, with billboards and all. Some tourists may have a tolerance for long drives, others may not. Some enjoy the nightlife and get wild; others are more subdued and prefer to avoid it. Some tourists want to go on food adventures; others prefer the familiar or even chain restaurants. Some tourists won't go anywhere that isn't family-friendly; although there might be a followup to such a question, "even just once".

Taking those parameters into account, there would be a set of literally hundreds (possibly thousands) of activities, grouped into broad categories and more specific subcategories. Similar to Google Shopping, where you're able to check or un-check characteristics from a variety of descriptive sub-categories of a genre of products and then narrow the field of options, so too would this be laid out for tourist activities. Built into the activity descriptions would be estimates of the amount of time would be required to enjoy the activity as well as the estimated expense. Reviews are important, of course, as are links to external sites, etc. As step one, someone could browse all of the various things that they might like to do, and 'Like' them for further review.

Once it has been established what they would like to do, final selection and scheduling would be necessary. It's easy to say that they'd 'Like' every Korean restaurant within five miles of the Galleria, but not only is it impractical to go to them all, but the routes would lead to out-of-the-way places and create additional time constraints that would inhibit other activities. At this stage, they get to choose the best of the best, fitting their selections into their schedules. By mapping applets and using route optimization, they can gain an understanding of how things that they like are laid out within the city and accurately add travel times as a buffer around their activities. As they make their selections, we have enough information about them and where they'll be driving to/from to make additional suggestions of what they might enjoy that would be convenient to them. They can review the suggestions, accept/decline the invitation to 'Like', or turn off suggestions.

Once scheduling is complete, they get a print-version of their itinerary with all pertinent information for each destination along with estimates of trip cost. They also get uploadable waypoints for GPS...with devices free for rental (as advertised!) from any major car rental company, care of the Tourism Bureau.

And there you have it.

As many of the databases used to populate the information on this website would be similar to what already exists on local sites like b4-u-eat.com, consider cross-licensing the information to quickly get the concept launched. But also be sure to provide numerous follow-up quizzes to tourists that have used the website. Over time, make the site its own...for tourists, by tourists.

I appreciate the enthusiasm, but I think that it'd probably take somewhat advanced programming to organize the information well. I could be wrong, but I doubt that there's any off-the-shelf platform that would do what we want it to do.

Think of what a 'smart' dayplanner might do for a tourist. They get to plug in their arrival and departure places and times and their lodging information, any constraints on their schedule (such as working hours and a workplace for a business traveler), and then schedule to fill in the gaps in that schedule. If they do not have lodging, the software would be able to suggest options near the place of arrival/departure or the workplace. If there are no constraints, it would wait until after the schedule is filled in to suggest lodging that is optimized for routes and budget.

A brief quiz can be used to establish the parameters of destinations that would be suggested. Some tourists love to walk, others are loathe to walk. Some tourists want the scenic route; others may prefer or require the faster route, with billboards and all. Some tourists may have a tolerance for long drives, others may not. Some enjoy the nightlife and get wild; others are more subdued and prefer to avoid it. Some tourists want to go on food adventures; others prefer the familiar or even chain restaurants. Some tourists won't go anywhere that isn't family-friendly; although there might be a followup to such a question, "even just once".

Taking those parameters into account, there would be a set of literally hundreds (possibly thousands) of activities, grouped into broad categories and more specific subcategories. Similar to Google Shopping, where you're able to check or un-check characteristics from a variety of descriptive sub-categories of a genre of products and then narrow the field of options, so too would this be laid out for tourist activities. Built into the activity descriptions would be estimates of the amount of time would be required to enjoy the activity as well as the estimated expense. Reviews are important, of course, as are links to external sites, etc. As step one, someone could browse all of the various things that they might like to do, and 'Like' them for further review.

Once it has been established what they would like to do, final selection and scheduling would be necessary. It's easy to say that they'd 'Like' every Korean restaurant within five miles of the Galleria, but not only is it impractical to go to them all, but the routes would lead to out-of-the-way places and create additional time constraints that would inhibit other activities. At this stage, they get to choose the best of the best, fitting their selections into their schedules. By mapping applets and using route optimization, they can gain an understanding of how things that they like are laid out within the city and accurately add travel times as a buffer around their activities. As they make their selections, we have enough information about them and where they'll be driving to/from to make additional suggestions of what they might enjoy that would be convenient to them. They can review the suggestions, accept/decline the invitation to 'Like', or turn off suggestions.

Once scheduling is complete, they get a print-version of their itinerary with all pertinent information for each destination along with estimates of trip cost. They also get uploadable waypoints for GPS...with devices free for rental (as advertised!) from any major car rental company, care of the Tourism Bureau.

And there you have it.

As many of the databases used to populate the information on this website would be similar to what already exists on local sites like b4-u-eat.com, consider cross-licensing the information to quickly get the concept launched. But also be sure to provide numerous follow-up quizzes to tourists that have used the website. Over time, make the site its own...for tourists, by tourists.

Let's take this one step at a time, first an informational website showing where to go and how to get there filled with all the favorites from this forum and a blog with peoples real experiences.

That is achievable.

Once we get that up and running we can see if we can expand to the "plan your trip" functionality. I don't think that needs to be there from the get go. Nor do we need the website to act as a yelp or an around me, as those exist.

I would like to limit the restaurants to local favorites, ones with history or have something that you can not get anywhere else.

Let's take this one step at a time, first an informational website showing where to go and how to get there filled with all the favorites from this forum and a blog with peoples real experiences.

That is achievable.

Once we get that up and running we can see if we can expand to the "plan your trip" functionality. I don't think that needs to be there from the get go. Nor do we need the website to act as a yelp or an around me, as those exist.

Sure it's acheivable. So? Big changes require big investments, giant leaps forward, and ridonkulous ad budgets.

I would like to limit the restaurants to local favorites, ones with history or have something that you can not get anywhere else.

All restaurants have history. Open for 10 minutes? It has 10 minutes of history.

Within the schema that I suggest, a multivariate regression ranks your tourist personality profile against the popularity of restaurants that similar users staying or working nearby have visited, and gives top billing to the most compatible choices. (For instance, if you're an international business traveler working in Brookhollow, you don't have a rental car, and your budget is limited, then Supreme Sandwich, Juanita's Mexican, Thai Lanna, and Chicken & Waffles should come up high on your list of preferences. Like nightlife? Pole Katz pops up. Prefer fast food? Whataburger and McDonald's.

Some tourists are boring, and I think that the type that visit Houston tend to be disproportionately so. Even still, we should give the people what they want, not what we want them to want.

Sure it's acheivable. So? Big changes require big investments, giant leaps forward, and ridonkulous ad budgets.

Everyone starts somewhere, this is where we will start.

All restaurants have history. Open for 10 minutes? It has 10 minutes of history.

If it's 10 minutes of a new privately owned restaurant then it will make the cut, as you can only get it here. If it is a Chili's, not going on the website, unless for some reason that particular chili's is a local favorite.

Prefer fast food? Whataburger and McDonald's.

Pretty sure you don't need a website to find a Whataburger or McDonald's in Houston.

Some tourists are boring, and I think that the type that visit Houston tend to be disproportionately so. Even still, we should give the people what they want, not what we want them to want.

If they want boring they can stay in their hotel room and order in, they don't need our help for that.

A significant component of Houston's culture is genuinely ingenuine, authentically inauthentic. Houston is like Baskin Robbins' 31 Flavors of redneck; I want to showcase them all, let it all hang out.

Of course, if you aren't allowing it on our site, then it isn't our site; it is your site. And we will not start here; you will start here.

I believe in the big budget model of PR and advertising. That is what it will take. No one guy with a blog can change that; not you, not Rick Steves or Anthony Bourdain; nobody.

If you want to encourage Houston tourism, perhaps THE most important step is to make Houston residents themselves of the wealth of offerings available. I don't remember who said it (and I'm too lazy to check if it was even said in this thread) but I agree with the notion that tourism development in large cities will first and foremost start with friends and family of residents.

I agree with Simbha that this is definitely the place to start. The bit about first and foremost friends and family of residents was infinite_jim earlier in this thread and with the number of transplants in the city I believe we are on to something.

This is an excellent thread. I'd been able to view bits and pieces since it started, but just got my first opportunity to read through it in its entirety.

My answers to your questions, Nick_G:

Which tourist attraction is your favorite and why?

Do I really have to choose just one? I staunchly refuse... :angry::lol:

What are your other favorites?

What are your other favorites?

Some of them can be found here: http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/25143-favorite-houston-public-art-and-fountains

• The Buffalo Bayou is a good greenspace. There are a few areas along the bike/hike routes that could use some attention and I'd like to see better connections with the surrounding areas, but overall it's a nice space.
  • Another favorite is Villa de Matel, but I don't believe it's generally open for visitors. Here's a nice video showing the area: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enKs-j7wjkw
  • Rice University is one of the most beautiful campuses anywhere.
  • I personally enjoy walking around the Texas Medical Center.
  • The Menil Collection and surrounding areas (including U of St Thomas) are very nice.
  • Montrose is a great place to walk around. I love all the shops you can find along Westheimer, in particular.
  • Memorial Park is just a gem. I haven't been since many of the trees dropped, but I hope it can be rebuilt to its pre-drought state.

Most of these are pretty generic (i.e., known to the common Houstonian).

In my opinion, here's what Houston (as a collective of people) needs to do in terms of its tourism strategy...

First, we need to decide which of the following we want to be:

• A city with good, but not mind-blowing, offerings, which caters to the regional population and doesn't devote resources to marketing itself in a big way. I'll call this the Organic Model.
  • A city with stronger, regional offerings that continues to cater to the regional population but markets itself aggressively to this population. I'll call this the Regional Strategy.
  • A city with broader (national or international) tourism ambitions. I'll call this the Global Strategy.

Once this is decided, we can then have a better sense of what to do next. Here are my thoughts on each:

Organic Model

This doesn't really require any planning or intervention - that's the point of the Organic Model. People will simply find things on their own - through word-of-mouth, etc. The key to this is access; the city's involvement should be limited to maintaining existing infrastructure and building appropriate new infrastructure. It can encourage development in pockets of the city through targeted tactics, but it is not going out of its way to market the outcomes.

I'd say this is where Houston was roughly 30 years ago.

Regional Strategy

Under the Regional Strategy, the city markets itself as a regional tourist destination and takes a stronger hand in developing small- to mid-scale tourist attractions. From the perspective of the Greater Houston Partnership (GHP), this strategy is somewhat more focused on enabling employee retention rather than attracting new employees to the region. Tourism happens, but it is secondary to other industries (energy, petrochem, medical, etc).

I'd say that today Houston is between the Organic Model and the Regional Strategy. It is focused on regional tourism development and has (over the past 30 years) developed some good attractions to this end. It's lacking in some attractions, and its centralized information distribution network is also lacking.

In order to fulfill the Regional Strategy, I think Houston would need to do a few more things:

• Develop, market and maintain a centralized site for the distribution of information about events/venues/happenings in the city.
  • Develop better systems for transporting people around the region. This doesn't have to mean rail, but it should include more public transportation options, particularly to/from satellite destinations such as Old Town Spring, Clear Lake, and Galveston.
  • Encourage and support the development of more regional attractions. This could include more small museums (inside and outside the formal Museum District), small entertainment venues, and fairs.

Global Strategy

This, of course, is the big deal. It can potentially take on almost any form, but I'll provide some examples...

First, it must do everything under the Regional Strategy. The city needs to develop a tourism planning site, as Niche has suggested. It would need to be dynamic and user-friendly. It must also develop far better public transportation options. For a Global Strategy, light rail alone is insufficient. (I won't get into whether it's necessary; it's happening, and we'll deal with it.) To be a top-rated tourist destination, Houston also needs to improve its bus systems significantly.

Next, the city must become more walkable. The fact is that tourists don't come to a place to drive to one destination, then get in the car and go someplace else that's two - or ten - miles away. The core of the city must be developed further and made more walkable. That doesn't mean that we have to make it so that a tourist can feel comfortable walking from Downtown to the Galleria, but it should mean that no tourist should have to shop the myriad eclectic offerings along Westheimer in Montrose with their head tilted down in order to avoid tripping on a major crack. And, tourists shouldn't be fearful of walking across streets to get from one block to another. People can drive (or take public transport) from one area of tourist attractions to another, but once they've arrived at an area, they should be able to walk reasonably easily. Currently, that's not the case (more on this later).

This brings me to another suggestion - one about which I've been thinking recently and am somewhat passionate. Consider that Houston is crisscrossed - especially in its central area - by highways. There's no sense in trying to do away with these; they're a part of the Houston setting. But, what can be done in my opinion is to make the underpasses more attractive to pedestrians. Currently, Houston's highways act as barriers to development. Consider the difficulty in getting people from Downtown to EaDo or Midtown by walkway; similarly, consider the difficulty in people walking from the inner loop near the Galleria to just the other side of 610. This can be accomplished with nominal cost (relative to other tourism projects) and - I think - would significantly enhance the city experience for both residents and tourists. I would suggest that the city (or a nonprofit -- I'd be willing to start one, if I could get enough people behind me) develop something like an Adopt an Underpass campaign. Donations would go strictly to providing city-authorized enhancements of a designated underpass. Specific enhancements could be things like artistic lighting, foliage, benches - maybe even refreshment stands, if the city would be willing to grant a waiver to solicitation bans. I believe the effect would be to bridge between areas of significant development and enhance the potential tourism experience. (I admit to being whimsical about this idea; I haven't conducted the appropriate research to know if it would actually have the effects I'm suggesting.)

In parallel with the development of this infrastructure, the city could then work on further developing existing tourist attractions and/or developing new ones. Here are some suggestions; these are by no means properly vetted:

1. Shopping Destination

Houston has already got some really interesting offerings regarding shopping. With some enhancements to the key areas, I think it could become an even more attractive hub in this regard. Here are some suggestions:

• Uptown/Galleria/Highland Village: Make the entire area more pedestrian friendly. This is somewhat happening on its own, but I think it would need the city's involvement to take it to the next level. I'd really like to see the entire area filled with a combination of street stores and small park spaces. Highland Village could be connected to the proper Uptown area by, say, jitney and better pedestrian walkways. Uptown Houston has the potential to become our 5th Avenue. (I know, most people hate Houston-NYC comparisons, but I'm simply pointing out an analogy - NOT suggesting it be the same or that 5th Avenue be the goal.)
  • Rice Village: Already one of the most walkable areas in the city, but it pales in comparison to other, similar districts in the US. I recognize that it's radical, but I would suggest removing most motor traffic in the Rice Village, and instead provide garage parking in its center and along the outskirts. I believe people would be willing to pay for such parking, and the Village itself could be recreated as an interesting area of shops, restaurants and busking that could really be a good tourist draw.
  • Montrose: As mentioned above, the area along Westheimer west of Montrose is just filled with some really great gems of shops, but the walkways are not the best. I don't think this exists so I'll mention it: I think it would be a great idea to have the shops come together (as they do in the Village) and create a map of stores in the vicinity (maybe through a mobile application). Some shop owners might think that this creates even more competition, but I think it will significantly increase the amount of visitors to the area, in general. (If you hate Houston-NYC comparisons, how about a Houston-Boston comparison... This could become our Newbury Street!)

2. Experience Energy

Houston has got this immense, interesting and misunderstood industry that accounts for 43% of the gross metro product, yet we have SO little that actually provides people with an experience in the industry. If anywhere in the world would have a Museum of Energy, it would be Houston - but we don't (at least, not really). We currently have the Ocean Star, which is technically the Offshore Energy Center's museum, but it's simply not enough (although it's a great place!). Here's what I suggest:

• Enhance the Ocean Star experience.
  • Build a Houston-based Museum of Energy - something really amazing.
  • It could be the same, but it could be different... Work with one or more Houston-based energy companies to offer guided tours of their facilities. That will likely require a remaking of one facility; perhaps an older facility seeing disuse could be used for this purpose.
  • Enhance the Port of Houston boat tours - and increase their frequency.

The key here is that this not only has the potential to enhance the city's image; it also has the potential to enhance the entire global industry's image - an industry, I'll remind you, that is crucial to (nearly) every single person on earth.

3. Visit... The World's Largest Medical Center!

It's only since fairly recently that Houston Greeters has been doing TMC tours. This is one of the most amazing places on earth, yet we haven't found a way to use it for tourism? I'd suggest that we develop something in partnership with TMC administration itself and the Health Museum. I recognize that the TMC is an actual workplace - not just a tourist attraction - but I'm certain that with some brainstorming along with the TMC administration and member institutions, that something on a large scale could be done.

4. Affiliation with manned spaceflight

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Space Center Houston is a poor monument to a proud heritage of space exploration. It doesn't even come close to dignifying the efforts made by thousands of Houston residents who affected millions - if not, billions - of people worldwide. It's a Class C exhibition when it should be a Class A facility. It's no wonder we didn't get a space shuttle. However, it's not too late; it can still be improved upon. I'd really like to see a world-class facility that focuses on the

While Space Center Houston is a poor monument to our home-based space program, Tranquility Park in Downtown is a nice space and could become a more appealing tourist destination. Currently, it's occupied by... well... the Occupy Houston crowd, but the space itself is a nice monument to the program, at least when the fountain is turned on. One change I'd suggest for the space is to improve the lighting - both for the park as a whole and for the fountain itself.

I've also suggested this elsewhere on HAIF, but I'll reiterate it here: I think Houston could stand to use a purpose-built monument in or near the city core to human spaceflight. This is where it all happened, and it's more appropriate to do it here than anywhere else. I wouldn't want such a thing to be in Clear Lake, despite the geographic proximity to JSC/Space Center Houston. No, a monument such as this needs to be in the center of the city where all the action (read: viewers of TV/film) would see it as part of the city core.

I'm certain that I'll get some disagreement on some or all of these suggestions, but that's the point of having a discussion right?

Great post, no disagreement here on any of those points, we are pretty aligned in what we would like to see.

One point of irony though

That doesn't mean that we have to make it so that a tourist can feel comfortable walking from Downtown to the Galleria.

That is one thing that you can comfortably do right now, and I have done, with tourists as no one from Houston has joined me.

If you start at Sam Houston Park, walk into Buffalo Bayou Park follow the walk to the end, you have a short non-park area where you can stop at Starbucks or a few restaurants to take a break then follow Memorial Park into Uptown. The drought has hit Memorial Park a bit and I have been watching them cut down trees but this is actually one of my favorite tourist attractions to the city.

I actually usually walk the opposite of course, and when you start in uptown and walk through the parks and approach the skyline it gives people a completely different view of the city and make them realize how much green space we really have. They would never know just driving from Bush to downtown.

Has anyone had experience and or opinions about one of the following web hosting services

http://www.bluehost.com/

http://www.justhost.com/

http://www.fatcow.com/fatcow/special-promo.bml?offer=CR&LinkName=14373437

http://www.godaddy.com/hosting/web-hosting.aspx?isc=cjc20hst2

or others they would like to suggest?

also

for a web page name I am thinking something along the lines of

thebayoucity.org

or

thebayoucity.info

opinions or suggestions?

My post above is incomplete and in small type. Since I can't edit it now, I'll restate it here and add in the stuff that got deleted (by me, I'm sure - accidentally)...

4. Affiliation with manned spaceflight

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Space Center Houston is a poor monument to a proud heritage of space exploration. It doesn't even come close to dignifying the efforts made by thousands of Houston residents who affected millions - if not, billions - of people worldwide. It's a Class C exhibition when it should be a Class A facility. It's no wonder we didn't get a space shuttle. However, it's not too late; it can still be improved upon. I'd really like to see a world-class facility that focuses on the human side of human spaceflight. This is Mission Control and where the astronauts trained. Simulations, hands-on displays, a wax museum... I think there's huge potential here that isn't being used. There's nothing else like that in the US!

While Space Center Houston is a poor monument to our home-based space program, Tranquility Park in Downtown is a nice space and could become a more appealing tourist destination. Currently, it's occupied by... well... the Occupy Houston crowd, but the space itself is a nice monument to the program, at least when the fountain is turned on. One change I'd suggest for the space is to improve the lighting - both for the park as a whole and for the fountain itself.

I've also suggested this elsewhere on HAIF, but I'll reiterate it here: I think Houston could stand to use a purpose-built monument in or near the city core to human spaceflight. This is where it all happened, and it's more appropriate to do it here than anywhere else. I wouldn't want such a thing to be in Clear Lake, despite the geographic proximity to JSC/Space Center Houston. No, a monument such as this needs to be in the center of the city where all the action (read: viewers of TV/film) would see it as part of the city core.

Ever heard of Tranquility Park or seen the 7 Holly trees planted nearby in honor of the lives lost in the Challenger disaster?

Ever heard of Tranquility Park or seen the 7 Holly trees planted nearby in honor of the lives lost in the Challenger disaster?

Yes, that's why I referred to Tranquility Park in the paragraph above it. And, I believe that the trees in the Astronaut Memorial Grove are actually live oaks, not holly. Admittedly, it's been a while since I've visited, however.

My point is to suggest that Houston build a notable and visible monument - not only to those lost but - to the entirety of human spaceflight. Tranquility Park is a nice monument, but it's not even known to most Houstonians. And, the Astronaut Memorial Grove is not known to most people - period - and is a memorial to those lost, not to the endeavor itself; there's a difference in my mind.

I was at the dedication ceremony and I remember the trees being holly. Oh well, that's beside the point (doesn't really matter).

Nick - Hermann Park and the Museum District would be a good choice. Also, a visit to the Galleria & Water Wall is a good one. However, I'd get a Houston Press or other publication to find out what was going on during the timeframe that I had guests visiting.

Nick - Hermann Park and the Museum District would be a good choice. Also, a visit to the Galleria & Water Wall is a good one. However, I'd get a Houston Press or other publication to find out what was going on during the timeframe that I had guests visiting.

Definitely all good, do you have any on the more obscure side of things?

Also, would love your input on local restaurants that have been around and are worth finding, something like Baba Yega comes to mind.

Jokingly, three things to do when you come to Houston are New Orleans, San Antonio and Austin. How about the beer can house, the art car parade and drive through River Oaks and Memorial.

Michaelangelo's is a restaurant that comes to mind that's been around forever and Ninfa's on Navigation.

Jokingly, three things to do when you come to Houston are New Orleans, San Antonio and Austin.

If I make that trip to San Antonio one more time my eyes are going to fall out from boredom. I'm pretty sure I can fall asleep with cruise control on and set a timer to wake me up when I am entering the city limits. Also, that is the opposite of what I want.

Michaelangelo's is a restaurant that comes to mind that's been around forever and Ninfa's on Navigation.

Those are exactly the type of places I am looking for.

I completely forgot about the original Ninfa's I can walk to three of them from where I live (not kidding there are two in the mall and one on post oak) and I have pretty much written it off as another boring chain.

The one Navigation is still family owned, just like Carraba's on Kirby and Woodway. Two other oldies are Monument Inn and Brady's Landing.

The new Pleasure Pier will be a great attraction, when it opens.

The one Navigation is still family owned, just like Carraba's on Kirby and Woodway. Two other oldies are Monument Inn and Brady's Landing.

This is exactly why a site pulling all these together in one place is needed, I had to look Brady's Landing up, never heard of it, I'll have to make a trip out there to try it out.

Keep them coming.

Would love it if more people chimed in as well, there are a lot of neighborhoods in this city let's get representation from all of them.

I have registered thebayoucity.org with bluehost.com as they have unlimited pages and unlimited storage. There is nothing up yet, bluehost just has ads up until I get started.

I am looking for high quality pictures and descriptions of your favorite places in Houston.

Simbha, Nick and all other well-meaning types and future leaders: ref post # 38 or so...

You've got to nail it in an elevator speech. People mock the idea, but if you can't do it in 3 bullets points and 30 seconds, no one will care. It doesn't matter how passionate you are or how complicated the subject matter is. Your screed that required three taps, --UGH!!

You have a captive audience on HAIF. No one outside of us gives a ratfook, and is never going to read your 1,000 words on urban planning. Show it, do it! That was ur marketing tip o the day.

Simbha, Nick and all other well-meaning types and future leaders: ref post # 38 or so...

You've got to nail it in an elevator speech. People mock the idea, but if you can't do it in 3 bullets points and 30 seconds, no one will care. It doesn't matter how passionate you are or how complicated the subject matter is. Your screed that required three taps, --UGH!!

You have a captive audience on HAIF. No one outside of us gives a ratfook, and is never going to read your 1,000 words on urban planning. Show it, do it! That was ur marketing tip o the day.

@crunchtastic...

You're not the only one on the board with a formal marketing background. I too understand the importance of a street statement or elevator pitch, but in addition to my marketing background, I also have an organizational strategy background. I understand the importance of occasional detail that is not presented in an elevator pitch. Despite what most marketing folks think, not everything in the world revolves around marketing...

HAIF discussions aren't pitch sessions. They are forums for discussion, and those discussions are often required to be somewhat detailed if they're to be effectual.

For example, in my large post above (#37) I reference several ideas. Even if we were to go forward with any one of these ideas, it would have to be drafted in detail and discussed. Some of those discussions would be elevator pitches, and some of them would be drawn-out 3+-hour-long planning sessions. Not everything in the world is soundbites.

And, by the way -- without revealing things I shouldn't in this forum at the moment... I will simply say that, in fact, there are plenty of people who "give a ratfook" about at least some of the ideas - and I and several others are taking some steps to see that they may be realized. I won't promise anything, because these concepts are very large and many external forces can derail them; however, I will simply state that there are people with influence and money who have expressed interest in at least two of the above (#37) concepts. If and when we get to a stage when these can be comfortably revealed without putting people on the spot, I or they will do so. Until that time, it is still valid to open up discussion among a group of people (HAIFers) who have generally shown themselves to be intelligent, knowledgeable and insightful. I look forward to their (including your) continued comments.

She's right, though. It may take your three hours of planning (although I think that ten times that is more like it), but the message that goes out...the hook that reels people in...will be 30 seconds or less of content. Once you've captivated their attention, its about content. But content is easy! Attention-getting, that's hard.

She's right, though. It may take your three hours of planning (although I think that ten times that is more like it), but the message that goes out...the hook that reels people in...will be 30 seconds or less of content. Once you've captivated their attention, its about content. But content is easy! Attention-getting, that's hard.

Oh, I don't disagree with either point...

The 3-hour remark wasn't meant to be a single session to completion; note the plural on 'sessions'.

Regarding the messaging, it's absolutely necessary to capture attention - and one of the most effective ways of doing this is to first develop the appropriate messaging then communicate that through a street statement. However, this forum isn't Kickstarter. Neither I nor Nick nor anyone else is trying to sell a concept here; the purpose of these forums (to me, at least) is to discuss ideas, share opinions, and distribute information. If and when some of these ideas take on project status, then it's correct that appropriate messaging - including the right pitch - needs to be developed. Until then, I personally encourage the free exchange of ideas of any length or breadth.

Edit: Well, I do disagree that content is easy. It's the meat on the bones. I'm not suggesting that developing appropriate and effective marketing messaging is easy, but content takes time and attention to detail, too. Neither is a simple thing - which is why entire careers are built focusing on one or the other.

Edit: Well, I do disagree that content is easy. It's the meat on the bones. I'm not suggesting that developing appropriate and effective marketing messaging is easy, but content takes time and attention to detail, too. Neither is a simple thing - which is why entire careers are built focusing on one or the other.

In my mind's eye, content is interactive and user-generated on a software platform geared to the tourist experience. The initial dataset is licensed from existing sources. Database maintenance and IT functions are performed by dozens of Indians, overseen by one culturally-attuned westerner and his college intern moderator via Skype. Yes, it is that simple.

In my mind's eye, content is interactive and user-generated on a software platform geared to the tourist experience. The initial dataset is licensed from existing sources. Database maintenance and IT functions are performed by dozens of Indians, overseen by one culturally-attuned westerner and his college intern moderator via Skype. Yes, it is that simple.

Ah! It seems we're talking about two different things... You're referring to the construction of a site that highlights existing Houston-area attractions. I'm referring to the construction of new Houston-area attractions.

Yes, I agree that the content relating to such a site would be easy to compile (especially in the way you've suggested) and that the bigger challenge - and the most immediate need - would be in the delivery of the marketing message.

Archived