Dallas #3

I'm getting Huntsville and Galveston from Emporis.  They consider it the "Houston-Galveston-Huntsville" metro.

I don't consider "12 storeys" urban, that's also what Emporis uses.

Yes, it is one "organism."  An organism is made up of several organs.  Which are, the municipalities.

You can't tell when you exit Fort Worth and enter Arlington.  You can't tell when you exit Arlington and enter Grand Prairie.  You can't tell when you exit Grand Prairie and enter Dallas.  It's all one CITY.  Administrative districts do not make up a CITY.  When thinking of London, by your definition, that would only be London Proper:  An area housing only about 23,000 Residents.  But surely, you would think that the entire area housing 10,000,000 people is part of what people refer to as London!  You seem to have municipality vs. city completely screwed up.  City = metropolis, or city = urbanized area within a metropolis.  Often, metropolises are bounded by the US Government by county designations, but the designations I have provided are urbanized areas.

I'm starting to get a little heated, and so will everyone else if this discussion continues.  But the facts remain- don't try and chop up Fort Worth and Dallas so that you can say Houston is bigger.  And surely don't try and say that San Antonio is- or at least, that it's "ahead," whatever skewed mental synapse that was spawned from.

True Dallas does have Ft. Worth in its metro which is a clear advantage. But if you just add Ft. Worth to Dallas population, it still is not as large as Houston both population wise and square miles. Dallas is quick to claim Ft. Worth but its funny how Ft. Worth doesn't claim Dallas. I like all the cities in Texas but Houston is definitely the best city because it has multiple skylines which make it seem like there's many cities in one. Uptown Houston seems like a whole city in itself from downtown Houston. Can you say Westchase District and Greenspoint, Greenway plaza and other business districts? Or how about the Westheimer and Richmond strips which are the "Las Vegas" of Houston. Kemah Boardwalk, Beaches, and Galveston?Something Dallas or Ft. Worth doesn't have. Houston by far has way more in its city limits than Dallas and Fort Worth put together. I think that San Antonio holds its own as a fun city itself but when i went, i found it hard to believe that its bigger than Dallas. SA doesn't even really have a skyline. I'm not trying to sound like im making this a Dallas VS. Houston thing, but Houston is such a great city, it doesn't need the help of a next door neighbor like Ft. Worth to be considered a great metro area.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Uptown Houston seems like a whole city in itself from downtown Houston.

In a way, Irving is to Dallas as Uptown Houston is to downtown Houston.

Geographically and demographically, to combine municipal Dallas, Irving and Fort Worth, the result would be a city comparable in area, with a greater population and about the same number of 12+ story buildings. I do think in the future, Dallas and Tarrant county cities will be forced to establish some sort of communal organization (beyond NCTCOG) with effective decision making authority to bring to the metroplex a regional government, eliminating some reduntant inefficient municipal actions - comparable to what Houstonians enjoy through a city govt which impacts the whole metro.

It's fun to play around with stuff like this. Even more fun for me, is to work from the "Texas - it's a whole different country" point of view and compare Texas to other countries and regional blocks of US states.

Drumguy8800 offered the following when describing the city of Dallas.

He also mentioned the city of Fort Worth.

Here's what he said:

Quote:

Dear Drumguy8800,

Thanks for dropping by.

With all due respect, this is one of the more bizarre posts I have ever read.  Not to take anything away from Dallas (except what it is not), but you cannot convince me or other normal people that St. Paul is the same thing as Minneapolis, or that NYC is essentially the same thing as Newark.  Or, that Seattle is essentially the same thing as Tacoma.  Now, maybe you can use that argument with Boston and its suburbs, or your example of London, because, there is a certain continuity that exists between those cities and their suburbs, and this continuity is hard to define, its more a feeling and awareness that you have, and it is largely based on those cities

Even if none of you agree with me, DFW metro is more populous and has more 12+ buildings than Houston. It's a fact. Micromanage my point of view all you want. It seems to me that all you've done is dodge these facts in order to declare yourselves the victor. I'm not saying that the municipalities are inherently the same just because they are connected, I'm saying that they are part of one metro. And the DFW metro just happens to be bigger than the Houston metro, even if the municipal land area of Dallas happens to have lower numbers than the massive entity that is the municipality of Houston.

Great Post 2112. Well said.

Houston is growing at a faster rate, and Houston's Metro isnt' that far behind. DFW's metro is 5.9 million thanks to its 100,000+ suburbs. Houston's Metro is 5.2 million. Houston has all of these vacant spots that are in its metro, soon to be big master-planned communities. Take a drive down the Grand Parkway south of Westheimer(FM 1093), and see all of the communitites. The most notible being Long Meadow Farms. Even driving down on the freeway section of the Grand Parkway from Highland Knolls/Bay Hill Boulevard, to Westheimer(FM 1093), and you see how much is being developed. It's going to be new houses and communities ALL the way to Fulshear. Seven Meadows is half-way there. A new Katy High School(#6) is going towards Fulshear. My point is that Houston is growing all around and has enough land to do it with out annexing more.

I'm not sure about the areas of the East that well. But I know there is a new big community outside of Tx-146 off of the East Freeway feeder. We're growing east to. Before you know it, the Trinity River and I-10 will be the next Lake Houston for home builders.

BTW, that bridge needs a makeover.

Great Post 2112. Well said.

Houston is growing at a faster rate, and Houston's Metro isnt' that far behind. DFW's metro is 5.9 million thanks to its 100,000+ suburbs. Houston's Metro is 5.2 million. Houston has all of these vacant spots that are in its metro, soon to be big master-planned communities.

There is very little difference in the growth patterns between the Houston and DFW metro areas, although I do think DFW continues to increase in population at a slightly faster rate; most population projections expect DFW to continue adding more than Houston. Nevertheless, the growth patterns are so similar that metro residents can expect virtually the same array of experiences in either area. The one significant demographic difference is the presence of greater ethnic diversity in Houston.

We have just now reached a point in which a measurable difference between the cities is beginning to show. In ten years, the Houston v Dallas debate will involve more than civic pride.

There is very little difference in the growth patterns between the Houston and DFW metro areas, although I do think DFW continues to increase in population at a slightly faster rate; most population projections expect DFW to continue adding more than Houston.

Really, its like a fat about "our city is better because we have more buildings". Who ever said buildings is what made a city great(though it looks nice).

I am just proving his knowledge of this subject is not true, only providing facts...

Oh, and to add a little more shhh ** to your fan,

San Antonio Facts:

1,214,725 in city and 1,820,719 in metro

863 km

Actually Dallas and Fort Worth form a megalopolis which are two or metro areas that form a bigger one such as San Francisco-Oakland and San Jose, or the Bos-Wash on the East Coast. I am from a Fort Worth suburb and believe me these are two distinct cities.

So I have NO Idea where you got 430 somthing for Dallas... If you plan to lie to Haif again, bewarned... We check these things out. So the differnce in the numbers are nothing but a meer "6" so don't even say that "Dallas has far more". Thank you and, good night!

I wasn't lying, and I provided the place where I got the information. Apparently, it does include proposed, never-built, etc, so the numbers were, in fact, a little skewed. Anyway, here's where they are from:

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/me/?id=100032

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/me/?id=100035

Houston always going to be number one in texas. Dallas and San Antonio is going to have a hard time playing catch up, cause one thing where all the jobs at? Its right here in houston. Don't get me wrong, Dallas has jobs too, but not like Houston. Besides, houston has more entertainment then Dallas.

Dallas has more sports teams.. and Dallas has a higher population, and thusly, more jobs. Talk about lying.

But everyone, I'll agree that Houston & Dallas are very similar.. especially when viewed on a global scale. Neither of us are as dinky as San Antonio, and neither of us are monolithic like NYC or Tokyo. We're very similar in most regards. I was just rather dissapointed that people were jumping all over Dallas' municipal population falling underneath San Antonio's, when it's really not a fair way to measure things.

What do you mean Dallas has more population than houston. Probably in metro, yes, but not in city. Dallas is losing population, that why y'all drop down to 9th city, and San Antonio surpassed y'all. It going to be a hard time passing up houston, cause first of all, houston is one of the fastest growing cities in america. Where do they say Dallas? Futhermore, dallas do not have more jobs then houston, are u kiddin. Right now, they building a billion dollar port, with a cruise terminal that will genrate over billions of dollars into houston economy. Houston has the most 500 fortune business in texas, we're next to New York, and L.A. in jobs. And another thing, dallas just has two more sports teams then houston. MLS Soccer, and NHL Hockey, but who cares about those sports. The biggest sports are, football, basketball, and baseball. So Drumguy, get your facts right about houston before you let your little fingers do the typing.

Uptown Houston seems like a whole city in itself from downtown Houston.

In a way, Irving is to Dallas as Uptown Houston is to downtown Houston.

Geographically and demographically, to combine municipal Dallas, Irving and Fort Worth, the result would be a city comparable in area, with a greater population and about the same number of 12+ story buildings. I do think in the future, Dallas and Tarrant county cities will be forced to establish some sort of communal organization (beyond NCTCOG) with effective decision making authority to bring to the metroplex a regional government, eliminating some reduntant inefficient municipal actions - comparable to what Houstonians enjoy through a city govt which impacts the whole metro.

It's fun to play around with stuff like this. Even more fun for me, is to work from the "Texas - it's a whole different country" point of view and compare Texas to other countries and regional blocks of US states.

You're absolutely right, tamtagon. But beware, I've said the same thing before and I was blasted for it.

Las Colinas is very similar to Uptown Houston. Both are suburban office complexes. Uptown Houston has bigger buildings, but a similar feel to Las Colinas.

Las Colinas of course has a mass transit monorail and a canal with shops and retail -- so Las Colinas actually might be a little more progressive. :lol:

Dallas has more sports teams.. and Dallas has a higher population, and thusly, more jobs.  Talk about lying.

But everyone, I'll agree that Houston & Dallas are very similar.. especially when viewed on a global scale.  Neither of us are as dinky as San Antonio, and neither of us are monolithic like NYC or Tokyo.  We're very similar in most regards.  I was just rather dissapointed that people were jumping all over Dallas' municipal population falling underneath San Antonio's, when it's really not a fair way to measure things.

No, your wrong again... Your information is still false...

Thats total buildings, never built, proposed, approved, under Construction (etc).

They don't count. Dallas is only up because of Never built, or "cancelled" buildings... It seems you guys lost out more then we did during the oil bust(s).

When you compare Dallas and Houston, you better be talking about cities, and not metropolis'... Because when it comes down to the cities, Houston blows Dallas out of the water.

As for houstonsemipro, Dallas did not loose population. They simply didn't grow as fast as San Antonio, so they lost a spot on the top ten list.

So, Drumguy, your still wrong...

Municipal boundaries mean NOTHING when the borders of Dallas, especially northern dallas, are completely built out.  Houston's outer stretches have miles and miles of land.  The city of Houston is basically the entire metro.  You're really ignorant.  When looking at how big a place is, you look at its metro.  And the Houston metro, as a fact, is smaller.
What do you mean Dallas has more population than houston. Probably in metro, yes, but not in city. Dallas is losing population, that why y'all drop down to 9th city, and San Antonio surpassed y'all. It going to be a hard time passing up houston, cause first of all, houston is one of the fastest growing cities in america. Where do they say Dallas? Futhermore, dallas do not have more jobs then houston, are u kiddin. Right now, they building a billion dollar port, with a cruise terminal that will genrate over billions of dollars into houston economy. Houston has the most 500 fortune business in texas, we're next to New York, and L.A. in jobs. And another thing, dallas just has two more sports teams then houston. MLS Soccer, and NHL Hockey, but who cares about those sports. The biggest sports are, football, basketball, and baseball. So Drumguy, get your facts right about houston before you let your little fingers do the typing.

I don't believe I've read something so ignorant in my entire life. You are such an idiot. Dallas isn't losing population, just a lot of it is built out, so people are building in its SUBURBS. Dallas is GAINING population as a city. The only reason Houston has a fast @#$@# growth rate is because they annex land and have open land to build on. the DFW metro is growing faster than Houston. And just by saying something 'doesn't count' doesnt make my own information false. Two more sports teams is two more sports teams - and Houston JUST got a football team back in their city. Why don't you make some valid arguments, you nitwit? And also, HOW THE HECK CAN YOU SAY THAT HOUSTON HAS MORE JOBS WHEN DFW HAS MORE PEOPLE. More people means more workers means more jobs. Less people means less workers means less jobs. Get your own @#%@# facts straight.

Stop making it about DFW, its about Dallas, Period... Not F. Worth, not Irving, just Dallas. Get it threw the thick head of yours, its about Dallas Vs. Houston... When your comparing, say Jearsy City to Miami, its Jearsy city to Miami, not New York vs Miami...

Houston (City) has more Jobs then Dallas (City). And just to let you know, there are municiple boundaries... thats why its still Dallas, and still Fort Worth, and still Irving... Not DWF. Houston (City) has more population then Dallas (City.) and the growth rate is bigger in Houston (City + Metro) then Dallas (City + Metro).

Just because you want it to be one city, "DFW", its not... Its made up of many differnt cities... Just like NYC's Metro, or LA's, or any other for that matter...

"Well, thanks for the correction there Montrose."

No problem houstonsemipro :)

Archived