RM Atkinson & Associates Building At 2403 Bagby St.

Chi-Char-Hou-Dal

We live right in Midtown and have been wondering about this corner of the lot that has BRB, Drinkery ( Formerly Open City, Formerly Cheerz) for a while. Figured you guys could tell me what used to be here and maybe what's in store? The owners constantly replace the glass with wooden boards to keep the homeless out.

Extremely busy area on the weekends, surprised they don't knock this building down and charge for parking like many kitty corner lots in the area.

Thanks,

wait, are you talking about the building with the patio on top?

there must be something wrong with that location. this would be the 4th or 5th establishment that didn't make it in that location. I could have sworn I rode by in a week or so ago and there were people enjoying themselves inside though...

I think he's refering to the little building north of it on the same block. That would be cool if it was renovated into a dive bar or something since there's lots of nightlife establisments nearby.

I was at Drinkery this past Saturday for a friends b-day and it was packed and a good time.

Edited by Nole23

there must be something wrong with that location. this would be the 4th or 5th establishment that didn't make it in that location. I could have sworn I rode by in a week or so ago and there were people enjoying themselves inside though...

I'm not sure, since the BRB has been there 30+ years. But then again, it's a specialty bar. :unsure:

Yes talking about the little building. Don't know if this link will work or not. http://g.co/maps/mh4uc

Yes the location just South has been many things. The Drinkery - sister of the one on Washington has been very successful since it opened maybe 8 mo ago? I think Blackfinn has taken some of their business but they are still busy and love going out in the area on the weekends.

The Block has an impressive amount of bars/clubs on it.

The Drinkery - Multi Level open 7 days a week

BRB - Gay Cowboy Dance Hall - been around forever ?

Wonderbar - Club/Lounge - weekends only

Red Door - Club - weekends only

El Xuco Xicana - Mexican Restaurant/ Bar on top

Was wondering about the little abandoned building. Would be a great dive bar, good addition to the drinking block.

• 1 month later...

Walked by this building yesterday and saw a sign on the door mentioning that they were getting an approval to serve alcoholic beverages on the site. So I'm assuming someone saw our posts on here and decided to maybe turn it into a new bar lol

Edited by Nole23
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes this weekend they were really gutting the old building ; saw a woman taking pics thought it might have been a fellow haifer - it will be an impressive before and after and no matter what crowd it brings more infill = more fun! With the redo of bagby I can't help but see Bagby as Houstons version of McKinney ave in Dallas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Could anyone provide emails and phone numbers of people in charge? It's time to raise hell. If they really are going to turn Bagby into a 3 lane road, not one cent of my Midtown tax dollars better be put toward it. I literally decided not to sell my town home because of the proposed pedestrian friendly reconstruction. Now they want cars to fly through Bagby at high speeds? Are these people retarded?

This is one case where it may actually be useful to read the comments. The last comment, posted at 11:26 AM:

I reached out to Daniel Krueger (City of Houston Director of Public Works) asking him about the status of the project. Below is a copy/paste of his e-mail response to my inquiry.

Thank you for writing with your concern. Unfortunately, the anonymously offered blog entry is highly inaccurate. The Public Works and Engineering Dept has recently addressed project issues to the entity responsible for the project, the Midtown Redevelopment Authority in conjunction with TIRZ 2, regarding the conformance of the already constructed and proposed improvements with the City’s Major Thoroughfare and Freeway Plan. These issues can be readily addressed by the project’s sponsor with minor revisions to the project. With such revisions the project can conform with the Plan and yet provide for vehicular mobility, pedestrian mobility, and use of street space for parking, overall still fulfilling the project purpose. Such revisions need not be cause for delay, reconstruction, or significant additional expenditures.

We appreciate your interest in these public improvements.

• Like 1

I just emailed the mayor. Anyine here who owns property in Midtown should think about throwing a fit at these city planners. We are going to lose out financially big time because of this BS.

EDIT: I just read the response above and have simmered down a little. I will post the Mayor's response as soon as I receive it.

Edited by rci2145

• 1 month later...

I drove by this building the other day after a Spec's run. It is completely gutted and the roof is gone.

Been that way for awhile now. Don't expect to see much change until Bagby construction is past them (or at least the east lane).

Been that way for awhile now. Don't expect to see much change until Bagby construction is past them (or at least the east lane).

I guess I hadn't notice before because I was distracted by the street construction.

I saw what looks like some foundation prep going on today, first sign of movement since the tear down.

Good to hear. If they can get as much done foundation/structure wise, also on the backside of the restaurant, they'll be ready to go full tilt when the road crew moves on. I just don't expect to see much facade work done until the trackhoes move down. Not sense getting too much money into the place only to risk damage from the other crew.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...