Sign in to follow this  
DrLan34

Midtown Court - New Strip Mall in Midtown Houston - Louisiana and McGowen

Interesting. Anything is better than what's currently there. Hopefully it's pedestrian friendly....

"shopping center" does not sound like a good sign

Tends to be a euphamism for "strip mall"

Edited by Texasota
  • Like 1

Well there's a strip mall across the street with some good businesses. While I hate to say this... I'd take anything over the current fenced in parking lot.

ok this is the deal.

the current building will be replaced.

the new shopping center will back up to McGowen (back of building will be against McGowen, front will be facing south) with parking in front. They said that it will still be pedestrian freindly and that they are working with Midtown Management District (don't know what that entails).

The building will be 14,500 sq feet. They currently have 2 restaurants (2500 sq feet each) that will be anchoring on either side, other tenants are also already lined up. They have about 4,000 sq feet available lease space as of now.

Construction will start in March. Building should be up by August. They plan to have tenants in by end of 2012.

Edited by DrLan34

I would like to see how they make it pedestrian friendly with parking in the front, but we shall see.

Maybe it will be similar to the building that has the Maple Leaf on Elgin... only with more emphasis on the side that faces the parking lot?

Well if they are working with the MMD, who are trying to promote a pedestrian friendly district, then hopefully it looks decent.

update, ADT should be out by March 15th, construction should start in April... it will be typical to the other shopping centers in Midtown. There will be some painted facade that back up to McGowen but the entrances will be facing South as previously stated along with the parking.

He said there will be side, sidewalk entrances.

update, ADT should be out by March 15th

This still the plan? Walked by there on McGowen last night on my way to the rail and they still have quite a few vehicles there.

so it being typical to other shopping centers means its nothing to get excited about. I don't get why its so difficult for Houston to land urban style shopping developments especially in this part of town? Not trying to throw Dallas in this, but they seem to have no problem getting them.

so it being typical to other shopping centers means its nothing to get excited about. I don't get why its so difficult for Houston to land urban style shopping developments especially in this part of town? Not trying to throw Dallas in this, but they seem to have no problem getting them.

Not exactly, there is basically, West Village and Victory(fail). Dallas lacks the grid street pattern for true urban growth. The size of downtown and uptown together can't be more than half of Houston's downtown. The street design coupled with the fact that most of the fancy highrises have either large setbacks with fences around them or minimal to 0 street integration has already killed the chances of a truely urban center

A big part is parking regulations. The city is getting ready to up the requirements too. Last I heard was 14 spaces per 1,000 square feet for a restaurant/bar.

That's a ridiculously high number for such a small space.

Update: They say 8,000 sq feet is leased with 6,000 sq feet still available. Constrution won't start until Q4 2012.

14,000sf building on a whole city block? What a waste. And the McGowen side will be a concrete wall with no entrances?

Might as well have built another CVS. In 2012, this is embarrassing for midtown. This is 2 blocks from a light rail station.

Edited by woolie
  • Like 1

14,000sf building on a whole city block? What a waste. And the McGowen side will be a concrete wall with no entrances?

Might as well have built another CVS. In 2012, this is embarrassing for midtown. This is 2 blocks from a light rail station.

Well that bites.

I've heard that one of the tenants will be a large Starbucks with a drive thru/cafe. Opening will be in the first quarter of next year. I don't yet know what this means, if anything, for the cafe only Starbucks on Gray St, just four blocks north.

@DrLan34

I've got a pic I meant to put up last night, will try get to it tonight.

It's looks like the McGowen frontage will be pedestrian with parking laid out on the south end of the lot, similar to the shopping center further west on the northside of McGowen (with the Ponzo's). I'm not exactly sure where the service/utilities are going in.

@intencity77

There's a Starbucks in the Randal's too.

• Like 1

Not a big fan of this... 50 percent of the block is surface lot. I guess it's better than what was there before but in reality it just appears to be a suburban strip mall...

agreed, the design is terrible but petco is a unique tenant for this area

Odd, I was thinking starbucks with a drivethrough, that's going to be hard not to make it look suburban. I'm sure they know their market and will do their best to fit in.

Odd, I was thinking starbucks with a drivethrough, that's going to be hard not to make it look suburban. I'm sure they know their market and will do their best to fit in.

On the site plan it looks like there is a drivethrough on the back and left side of the starbucks...But its a bit hard to see.

Another Starbucks?! Good god there's one at Randall's and one at Gray and Smith, how many do we need within a 1/2 mile radius?

Another Starbucks?! Good god there's one at Randall's and one at Gray and Smith, how many do we need within a 1/2 mile radius?

The #1 complaint from Starbucks customers is that there are not enough Starbucks stores close by.

Starbucks wanted a drive thru store in Midtown. Initially, they considered a drive thru only store but obviously that changed. The other Starbucks in the general vicinity do not have drive thru's.

If it were up to Starbucks executives, every store in the world would be a Starbucks, so to answer your question, how many storefronts/retail spaces are there in that half mile radius?

Not a big fan of this... 50 percent of the block is surface lot. I guess it's better than what was there before but in reality it just appears to be a suburban strip mall...

Kind of like the one that houses Charivari, Dog House, Ponzo's, et al.?

If it were up to Starbucks executives, every store in the world would be a Starbucks, so to answer your question, how many storefronts/retail spaces are there in that half mile radius?

I don't really agree with your statement. No company wants to cannibalize their own establishment. Too much can be a bad thing and can certainly hurt company profits. Each store is strategically placed in a manner to not cannibalize others.

I don't really agree with your statement. No company wants to cannibalize their own establishment. Too much can be a bad thing and can certainly hurt company profits. Each store is strategically placed in a manner to not cannibalize others.

Your sarcasm detector must be broken.

The #1 complaint from Starbucks customers is that there are not enough Starbucks stores close by.

Not to worry! They just announced they are opening another 1500 US locations.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Starbucks Corp plans to increase the number of its cafes in the Americas by more than 20 percent by opening more than 3,000 new shops there in the next five years as it looks to rely on tea and juice as much as coffee, it said on Wednesday.

When Starbucks' fiscal year ended on September 30, the company had 18,066 shops around the world, with just over 12,900 in the Americas. The United States dominates that region and will get more than half of the 3,000 planned new stores that the company announced on Wednesday.

That's really great news, I was thinking to myself on my drive into work this morning that we needed more high priced coffee chain outlets.

There are three Starbucks on the corner of Gray and Shepherd. Not enough I say!

The one inside B&N is not a Starbucks, they do however "proudly serve" the same activated charcoal.

When I look at capital's website, it says:

Louisiana and McGowen

New 14,500 SF Retail Building in the Heart of Midtown. Join Starbucks, PotBelly and Chipotle

I assume the Torchy's orginally proposed for this area went to Rice Village???