Newspaper Stands

blue92

News stands used to be big in Houston, there were many all over Houston up until the early 90s as I remember. Do any of you folks remember a favorite new stand you used to visit on a regularly visited?

If so post up the stand and the location. There was a big one on Westheimer east of Voss I used to go to a lot through out the 70s.

Being a near-northsider, downtown was my primary area of operations, so I remember the ones there best. There used to be a newstand just west of main, on congress or preston i think, and there was world news in its first location on Texas Ave. i believe, in the vicinity of the Stork club. This was way before it moved over by the Pierce elevated.

Downtown back in the day was really cool, with restaurants, pool halls, night clubs, car dealers (VW used to be somewhere around where the GRB is now), movies and lots more, which were all homegrown and for regular people, not the prefab or too upscale kind of stuff you find there now.

Being a near-northsider, downtown was my primary area of operations, so I remember the ones there best. There used to be a newstand just west of main, on congress or preston i think, and there was world news in its first location on Texas Ave. i believe, in the vicinity of the Stork club. This was way before it moved over by the Pierce elevated.

Downtown back in the day was really cool, with restaurants, pool halls, night clubs, car dealers (VW used to be somewhere around where the GRB is now), movies and lots more, which were all homegrown and for regular people, not the prefab or too upscale kind of stuff you find there now.

Did you ever shot pool at the famous Le Que? When they shot the movie with Paul Newman "The Hustler" they shot a scene there, and Minnesota Fats and Willie Mosconi played in tournaments there all though the 50s & 60s. I played some there when I was in high school, I played mostly at the Le Que that was in The Village, back in the day when you could play for a penny a minute.

Guy's News, on Main @ Winbern, now the Continental Club. I used to live only a few blocks away so I was a regular there. Also World News in its final location mentioned previously on Pierce.

After they both closed, there was Superstand on Shepherd, which didn't last. Now I go to Issues, a little further south on Shepherd than Superstand was. I believe Issues bought all of the magazine racks that used to be in Superstand.

The older newsstands like Guy's and World were somewhat seedy and populated with vaguely disreputable characters seeking cheap cigars and Racing Forms, in contrast to their clean, well-scrubbed successors. I miss the old places.

Guy's News, on Main @ Winbern, now the Continental Club. I used to live only a few blocks away so I was a regular there. Also World News in its final location mentioned previously on Pierce.

After they both closed, there was Superstand on Shepherd, which didn't last. Now I go to Issues, a little further south on Shepherd than Superstand was. I believe Issues bought all of the magazine racks that used to be in Superstand.

The older newsstands like Guy's and World were somewhat seedy and populated with vaguely disreputable characters seeking cheap cigars and Racing Forms, in contrast to their clean, well-scrubbed successors. I miss the old places.

Yea Guy's News been there lots of times at one point Guy's News had a location on S.Main in the old Lee's Den location. Lee's Den used to be across the street from Prince's Hamburgers.

Did you ever shot pool at the famous Le Que? When they shot the movie with Paul Newman "The Hustler" they shot a scene there, and Minnesota Fats and Willie Mosconi played in tournaments there all though the 50s & 60s. I played some there when I was in high school, I played mostly at the Le Que that was in The Village, back in the day when you could play for a penny a minute.

Was in there a couple of times if its the one i'm thinking of - second story, Fannin street, around Walker? I believe that's the building that burned in a natural gas explosion?

Was at the one in the village more times. you had to go through that swedish deli place to go up, i think. most of my pool shoot was at the north main pool hall next to the old north main theater.

didn't know about the movie connection for the downtown place. i'll have to watch it now.

• The title was changed to Newspaper Stands

Archived