Thoughts On The Suburbs

It's no surprise Pearland is growing; there is still a lot of land left in northern Brazoria..

I can't tell if magnet programs in HISD are sapping resources from traditional schools. All I know is that HISD likes them and that HISD is establishing another brand new magnet high school in southern Houston.

The one on Telephone? I think it's done.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm beginning to think the debate on urban vs. suburban living is about as volatile as religion or politics! (and about as easily agreed upon)

Of course you have two very different mindsets:

The Suburbanite:

"I can't believe people pay that much for those little shacks in-town! The areas around them look so run down & seedy. What is wrong with those people?!"

The Urbanite:

"I can't believe people pay that much to live SO far out! The areas are so cookie-cutter and soul-less. What is wrong with those people?!"

The Suburbanite:

"Why would you buy one of those old crummy out-dated houses that need SO much work when you could get a beautiful brand new home just 20 minutes farther out?"

The Urbanite:

"Why would you buy one of those new crummy cookie-cutter houses when you could get a beautiful vintage home & renovate it and cut 20 minutes off your commute?"

The Suburbanite:

"I would rather drive an extra 25 minutes and get the house I really want."

The Urbanite:

"Can you believe some people commute over 25 minutes each way? Every day!!?

The Suburbanite:

"There is too much crime in the city. It's not a safe place to raise a teenager!"

The Urbanite:

"I wish these teenagers from the suburbs wouldn't drive down and create problems!"

The Suburbanite:

"Once the kids are out of school, I guess I would really consider moving into a loft or something in-town."

The Urbanite:

"If we ever have kids, I guess I would really consider moving to one of the suburbs or something in a better school district."

The Suburbanite:

"All those inner-looper commie freaks are a bunch of left-wing radical, drunken club-hopping, cultural snobs anyway! I don't think I could ever live down there."

The Urbanite:

"All those suburban facist freaks are a bunch of right-wing radical, Hobby Lobby shopping, cultural savages anyway! I don't think I could ever live out there."

Of course I am being facetious......I suppose...

;)

I could name poster children off the board for each side, but I don't know that the guilty parties would see the humour in it... :P

I could name poster children off the board for each side, but I don't know that the guilty parties would see the humour in it... :P

We're all adults here, name names. An interesting topic would be to field teams for opposing sides...then have them argue their opponents position.

Well, I tried but there didn't seem to be much interest in it. I would have liked for it to be more like a series of podcasts instead of one long one on a series of broadcasts.

Those that are interested can always PM me or we can try to arrange a small series of meetings or discuss it at length on here as far as parameters.

What is a podcast? I would be interested in this thing.

you know, it is where you are fed all sorts of broadcasted information through a little device and then go nutso (haven't you seen invasion of the body snatchers?)

:rolleyes:

I'm not really interested in podcasts. To me, it's just another version of Tivo but audio only.

If I miss a TV show or a radio broadcast, so what. My life won't end. I find I have more freedom (and time!) when I don't latch myself onto TV or radio recordings that I missed.

I was looking into statistics about podcasts. There are many people sending these out but not many listeners. The largest podcast listening audience is current the Rush Limbaugh show.

Most of the podcast statistics (from peole promoting podcasts) show that there are many podcasts are available to listen too, but never talk about if people are actually listening in and using.

Anyway, weren't we talking about suburbs and innerloop?

You know.. I could understand someone bitching about 610 or the belt being expanded in lieu of public transit, but do you have any idea how selfish and retarded you sound trying to make the point that expanding I-10 is bad?

Don't forget that thousands of vehicles have to use I-10 to pass through Houston daily. Houstonian's are not the only ones using the road.

I say "Ugh" to whiners.

Education gets too much money already and they just waste it as usual.

We all pay the same gas tax if we drive cars. If you don't drive, you don't pay for these roads.

People who object to the freeway expansion know very little about how ease traffic and move people. Trains can't ease traffic and can't handle all the new people that will need these roads.

And no, not everybody can move in the loop. Especially if they don't want to.

Education gets too much money already and they just waste it as usual.

We all pay the same gas tax if we drive cars.  If you don't drive, you don't pay for these roads.

People who object to the freeway expansion know very little about how ease traffic and move people.  Trains can't ease traffic and can't handle all the new people that will need these roads.

And no, not everybody can move in the loop.  Especially if they don't want to.

Then they should help more to fix the problem and not freeload from the rest of us.

I wouldn't mind gowth in Katy so much if Katy was a job center. That's why the Woodlands is not one of my pet peeves. I would never live there, but I do admire their densification efforts. Katy is your typical sprawl suburb. It's mainly a collection of houses that sits behind retail, that sits fronting a highway. There is nothing to stop Katy from growing because of the availability of cheap land to the west. The only thing that could slow it down is congestion on the roads.

Public transit isn't subsidized by transit riders only either. So in this, people who live inside the loop but don't own a car, for example, are free loaders as well. That's the thing with public taxes... we're all in it together. Not everyone benefits directly from the expenditures.

That's why I laugh when some snooty suburbanite says, "We LET you have your train (the Red Line) now be satisfied" or when some snooty urbanite says that you're (sububanites) are "free loading off of us."

What's more true is that the state of Texas, in many ways, is free loading off of Houston, since we give more to the state than we get back.

The Katy area and not necessarily Katy itself has a lot of jobs. Look from HWY 6 out along I-10 at how many office buildings exisitng. Office space is being build along the Grand Parkway too south of I-10.

Also, there large office development in existence around the West Belt and I-10 interchange plus the energy corridor. I would dare to say that this area could comprise as many jobs as other office centers like Greenspoint, Greenway Plaza, and Westchase.

Many people out there don't drive into Uptown or Downtown anyway. The work on the West Belt at Westchase, Energy Corridor. The North Belt also has many offices. And don't forget the Northwest Crossing at Hollister and Tidwell on US 290.

You know.. I could understand someone bitching about 610 or the belt being expanded in lieu of public transit, but do you have any idea how selfish and retarded you sound trying to make the point that expanding I-10 is bad?

Don't forget that thousands of vehicles have to use I-10 to pass through Houston daily. Houstonian's are not the only ones using the road.

I say "Ugh" to whiners.

A very valid point. Perhaps the reconstruction should've been limited to tolled lanes for paying drivers. This way people in a rush passing through would have the option to pay for quicker travel. I'm not quite sure I understand the purpose of the extra free lane and expanded feeders. There's tremendous potential for profit in limiting expansions to pay only roadways. Surburban drivers would have the option of getting there quicker on those days when the need arrives.

Public transit isn't subsidized by transit riders only either. So in this, people who live inside the loop but don't own a car, for example, are free loaders as well. That's the thing with public taxes... we're all in it together. Not everyone benefits directly from the expenditures.

That's why I laugh when some snooty suburbanite says, "We LET you have your train (the Red Line) now be satisfied" or when some snooty urbanite says that you're (sububanites) are "free loading off of us."

What's more true is that the state of Texas, in many ways, is free loading off of Houston, since we give more to the state than we get back.

Me? Snooty?

The Katy area and not necessarily Katy itself has a lot of jobs.  Look from HWY 6 out along I-10 at how many office buildings exisitng.  Office space is being build along the Grand Parkway too south of I-10. 

Also,  there large office development in existence around the West Belt and I-10 interchange plus the energy corridor.  I would dare to say that this area could comprise as many jobs as other office centers like Greenspoint, Greenway Plaza, and Westchase.

Many people out there don't drive into Uptown or Downtown anyway.  The work on the West Belt at Westchase, Energy Corridor.  The North Belt also has many offices.  And don't forget the Northwest Crossing at Hollister and Tidwell on US 290.

what he said..

Archived