Sign in to follow this  
Subdude

Marriott Marquis - new GRB Convention Center Hotel + Retail

Well, I think we have another thread on this topic, maybe if someone can find the other we can merge. I remember in it, someone complaining about the orientation of the hotel. Well, maybe the reason was to allow views from the site the city is marketing to the north. Per the caption of the below rendering, "Please note the rendering of RIDA's Hotel is different form the rendering shown above, allowing ample visibility of Discovery Green" After all, conventioneers will stay in the hotel regardless, because they're there for a purpose, but those leasing an apartment will live there and demand a view, which still looks like only a portion could get anyway. (how's that for a run on sentence)

city%2520property%2520sale.jpg

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 1

Great PDF. I really enjoyed reading this list.

America's Coolest Cities to Live

Forbes - August 2012

Cities Where a Paycheck Stretches Furthest

Forbes - July 2012

Top Destination City

U-Haul International - April 2012

Top Ranked Metros

Site Selection Magazine - March 2012

Top U.S. Manufacturing Cities

Manufacturers' News, Inc. - March 2012

Fastest Growing Economy in North America

Brookings Institution - January 2012

Fastest Growing Wages in U.S.

Business Insiders - January 2012

Top Technology Job Growth

CyberCoders - January 2012

Best Cities for Manufacturing

Forbes - December 2011

Best-Performing Cities

Milken Institute - December 2011

Top 10 Manufacturing Cities

Business Facilities - August 2011

Fastest Growing Metro Area

Kinder Institute for Urban Research - July 2011

Top Cities for I.T. Jobs

Modis - May 2011

no. you might enjoy it too much :)

Awwww, come on. That was low. Who doesn't like a lil' love tap (gay or straight)? haha

One of my concerns regarding these proposed developments adjacent to Discovery Green is the shade cast upon the park. IMO, one of the things that makes Millennium Park in Chicago (a common comparison) so wonderful is that - in the middle of the city - the park is an open greenspace with no shade cast upon it by nearby highrises. I wonder if this development will make Discovery Green less desireable to some people.

One of my concerns regarding these proposed developments adjacent to Discovery Green is the shade cast upon the park. IMO, one of the things that makes Millennium Park in Chicago (a common comparison) so wonderful is that - in the middle of the city - the park is an open greenspace with no shade cast upon it by nearby highrises. I wonder if this development will make Discovery Green less desireable to some people.

The high rise location looks to be more North than East of the park. Aside from the fact that all of downtown's main high rises are due west (and thus casting shade over the entire park in late afternoon), I dont think this tower will cast much shade on it except for maybe the side facing La branch.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

With all of the sunshine / heat Houston gets I don't think people will mind a little shade.

• Like 2

The high rise location looks to be more North than East of the park. Aside from the fact that all of downtown's main high rises are due west (and thus casting shade over the entire park in late afternoon), I dont think this tower will cast much shade on it except for maybe the side facing La branch.

Thoughts?

Yeah, I don't think anyone needs to lose sleep worrying about shadows cast on the park by buildings built to the north/northeast of the park. Millennium Park has managed quite nicely with 83 story, 64 story, 54 story, 41 story, and 40 story buildings lining its north side. To the extent these new buildings cast shade on Discovery Green it will only be during the very hottest times of the year, when a little shade would be welcome by both plants and humans.

Edited by Houston19514

If anything, a shiny glass building in that location will probably reflect MORE light on to the park from that angle. I hope all the trees, the children playing in the fountain and the nice people walking their cute puppies aren't going to be x-rayed into oblivion when the sun comes out.

• Like 1

Purdue is right, the sun will always rise in the east over the short george r brown, which doesnt block any sun, and will be setting by the time it ducks down under the skyline district to the west.

What I love even more than the hotel rooms, the cool design or the height... this development has AWESOME potential for the street level of the area. really excellent.

Can't wait to see all of the new Conventions Houston will attract with this beauty!! And we'll finally have the hotel rooms to garner some larger customers!

Is that another development behind the hotel or is it all the same building?

Same building, its got an "L" shape to it.

just noticed something in the rendering... what are those "box office" looking structures in front of the GRB? it looks like they are placed in the middle of the street and that the street has been turned into a pedestrian promenade of sorts. has that been part of the convention districts plan?

just noticed something in the rendering... what are those "box office" looking structures in front of the GRB? it looks like they are placed in the middle of the street and that the street has been turned into a pedestrian promenade of sorts. has that been part of the convention districts plan?

Not exactly.

IIRC, the districts plan for Avenida De Las Americas was to create dedicated Bus Lanes for drop off on the East side of the median (closer to GRB) while leaving the western portion of the median for vehicular traffic.

GRB_MasterPlan_Rendering_1.jpg

• Like 1

Here is a discussion of what it will take from the city in terms of funds/development incentives that it's going to take to get the Hotel built. Looks to be a lot, totalling $138 million. Houston First will give $58.7 million in cash, $53 million in rebates on city property, hotel and alcohol sales over 20 years, $26 million in rebates on state taxes over 10 years and it will be owned by RIDA who will keep excess revenue (unlike the Hilton owned by the city)

Houston First will also build a $31 million parking garage, which will be leased by the hotel for $62 million over 50 years.

For the curious, it will be a Marriott Marquis hotel.

I'm not sure about the project. It comes at a steep price, without a lot of the benefit that came with the investment in the Hilton. I'd rather the project take on the steps used to build the Hilton, it's a better deal for the taxpayers.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/City-to-offer-hotel-developer-138M-in-incentives-4109932.php

i am far (FAR) from an expert on these matters but i suppose you need to take into consideration what the NPV of the $53M over 20 yrs and $26M over 10 yrs compared to the taxable revenue they expect to generate not only from the hotel but the retail and parking garage, beyond the $62M lease, in addition to the projected increase in overall convention business which on the surface one would think would be substantial (or so we've been led to believe). i'm not familiar with the ownership structure of the hilton so i can't really comment on that.

Here is a discussion of what it will take from the city in terms of funds/development incentives that it's going to take to get the Hotel built. Looks to be a lot, totalling $138 million. Houston First will give $58.7 million in cash, $53 million in rebates on city property, hotel and alcohol sales over 20 years, $26 million in rebates on state taxes over 10 years and it will be owned by RIDA who will keep excess revenue (unlike the Hilton owned by the city)

Houston First will also build a $31 million parking garage, which will be leased by the hotel for $62 million over 50 years.

For the curious, it will be a Marriott Marquis hotel.

I'm not sure about the project. It comes at a steep price, without a lot of the benefit that came with the investment in the Hilton. I'd rather the project take on the steps used to build the Hilton, it's a better deal for the taxpayers.

http://www.houstonch...ves-4109932.php

Also, the hotel shares some upside with the City (a point that is somewhat buried in the mish-mash of an article in the chron): If the Marriott's net operating income exceeds $32 million a year, ... revenue above that, up to a maximum of $36 million, will go to reduce the city's tax rebates.

Also, note that the City built and owns (will build/will own) the parking garages for both hotels. in the case of the Hilton garage, the city pays the Hilton $3 Million per year to operate the garage. The city will operate the Marriott garage and the Marriott will pay to use it.

I'm glad it passed.

That said, if it's going to be a Marriott Marquis, then what happens to the conversion taking place at 806 Main right now? Isn't that supposed to become a Marriott Marquis as well? Would seem odd to have them so close together...

The original rumor about 806 Main was that it was going to become one of the brands under Kimpton Hotels... hopefully that is true.

I'm glad it passed.

That said, if it's going to be a Marriott Marquis, then what happens to the conversion taking place at 806 Main right now? Isn't that supposed to become a Marriott Marquis as well? Would seem odd to have them so close together...

The original rumor about 806 Main was that it was going to become one of the brands under Kimpton Hotels... hopefully that is true.

I think the 806 Main location will be a JW Marriott.

I think the 806 Main location will be a JW Marriott.

Correct. I'm very pleased to see it will be a Marriott Marquis. Not at all surprising either. Marriott has really been pushing to get their brands in downtown Houston in recent years.

Yeah that pool is going to be insanely awesome.

Are they going to redo McKinney infront because the surface looks like it is striped in a weird way. Does anyone know anything about that?

ya i think my previous comment about them making that whole area a more pedestrian-friendly promenade was on point bc those building on ave de americas are clearly retail, at least in these renderings. looks like they plan on resurfacing the entire area... looks nice. assuming the lot behind the hotel turns into a residential tower this area is going to be transformed quickly.

Pardon my ignorance, but do we know if this will take up two lots (hotel and parking garage)?

It will take up two lots. The lot the hotel will be built on and the parking garage will go on the lot directly north of the GRB.

Yeah that pool is going to be insanely awesome.

Are they going to redo McKinney infront because the surface looks like it is striped in a weird way. Does anyone know anything about that?

In the article it mentioned that Houston First Corp is going to spend $23 mil to make Ave De Americas more pedistrian friendly by incorporating retail and restaurants. So they most likely will resurface the area.

Pardon my ignorance, but do we know if this will take up two lots (hotel and parking garage)?

Yes. the hotel will be on the oversized block (1 1/2 blocks) just to the north of Discovery Green. The parking garage will take the block immediately to the north end of the GRB.

Very excited about this project. The design and layout of the hotel are fantastic and the plans for Avenida de las Americas look great as well. The next 3 years are going to bring another huge leap forward for downtown Houston.

Edited by Houston19514

ya i think my previous comment about them making that whole area a more pedestrian-friendly promenade was on point bc those building on ave de americas are clearly retail, at least in these renderings. looks like they plan on resurfacing the entire area... looks nice. assuming the lot behind the hotel turns into a residential tower this area is going to be transformed quickly.

Now I understand Avenida. The retail and pedestrian walkway will be in between the two sides of traffic. Some of the renderings were confusing me at first.

I might have missed it, anyone taking guesses to the floor count of this thing? This rendering makes the Marriott look about as tall at the Hess next door. But, it also looks like it could have over 40 floors. That would be such an awesome addition to that side of the skyline. It will make downtown look wider from the Northwest/Southeast at a distance, just like Hess did.

Just humor me, Rendering=Contract for the sake of discussion.

I count about 32, not including the white portion at the top (is that floor space?). Not bad.

i count 32 in one rendering but only 28 in the other. iow, 30 should be a good number to use... not a bad addition at all.

God I hope this doesn't end up being a huge disappointment like the Embassy Suites accross the park. If it is built per the rendering, it will be a great addition to the Houston skyline.

i count 32 in one rendering but only 28 in the other. iow, 30 should be a good number to use... not a bad addition at all.

I think the part with the ornamental piece is a few stories taller than the one that runs east/west

aww man

Yeah, I saw that too. But I think there is reason to hope for a significantly earlier start and finish than May 2014-May 2016. This seems to have moved very fast so far. With the city having already approved the package, the plans being as complete as they seem to be, and the brand name already chosen, the deal is pretty far advanced and it does not seem like it should take another 1 1/2 years before they can start construction. Further, Rida Development's president was recently quoted as saying he would love to be one of the host hotels for the 2016 Final Four, April 2-4, 2016.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

The pdf says that completion would be early 2016. Just in time to have the Final Four as the first event.

• Like 1