Marriott Marquis: GRB Convention Center Hotel At 1777 Walker St.

Subdude

Do the tall floors at the lower level count as one floor or two? That's a massive building and it's still got several floors to go.

can you just imagine how imposing this hotel tower is going to become, once is surpasses hess tower?  wow, just wow!

I don't think the Marriott Marquis is planned to surpass the height of Hess Tower. 

well, actually it may not harbor much of a choice, especially since the hess tower stands at 29 floors (490'ft).  marriott marquis, is now projected to rise at 30 floors (we shall soon see the actual ft total).  but i'm clearly betting that the marriott wins..... 

well, actually it may not harbor much of a choice, especially since the hess tower stands at 29 floors (490'ft).  marriott marquis, is now projected to rise at 30 floors (we shall soon see the actual ft total).  but i'm clearly betting that the marriott wins..... 

I'll take that bet.   ;)

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

Monarch.. how much money did you just lose? ;)

oh nothing just yet.  however, please reference those mighty lower floors of the marriott... those aren't just incidental.  not to mention, please recall the marriott's renderings, at the very top, there is indeed a pretty sizable roof structure.  which of course is actually akin to hess's wind turbines.  however, pretty significant roof structure nonetheless....

Why is that unfortunate?

I'd guess because more is better, right?

Seriously though, this building is massive as it is.  Plus we've got Alessandra, Hampton/Homewood, and potentially the Aloft and Le Meridien projects too.

If the existing rooms and all of the new ones are full, DT will be hopping with people.

• Like 1

I'd guess because more is better, right?

Seriously though, this building is massive as it is. Plus we've got Alessandra, Hampton/Homewood, and potentially the Aloft and Le Meridien projects too.

If the existing rooms and all of the new ones are full, DT will be hopping with people.

Gotcha, You so he meant it is unfortunate that the MM wasn't taller in height. I thought he meant that it was unfortunate that Hess won't be totally barred from view from the east side Edited by HoustonIsHome

oh nothing just yet.  however, please reference those mighty lower floors of the marriott... those aren't just incidental.  not to mention, please recall the marriott's renderings, at the very top, there is indeed a pretty sizable roof structure.  which of course is actually akin to hess's wind turbines.  however, pretty significant roof structure nonetheless....

I would imagine that the good folks at Rida Development are aware of those mighty lower floors and pretty sizable roof structure.  And yet they sought and received a determination letter from the FAA for a 395 foot tall structure.  As others have pointed out, that is nearly 100 feet shorter than Hess Tower.

For an additional useful comparison, the 24 story Hilton Americas Hotel is 324 feet tall.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

Triton, I wonder if we've ever cycled by eachother in the past. I always see on Strava all the riders that I pass. I did about 45 miles this weekend. Perhaps you were out there as well. :)

Oh I'm sure we have! I only did about 21 miles this weekend. I've used Strava and Endomondo but I currently use Map My Ride. Is Strava the one that doesn't allow you to disable audio queues? Rode from downtown to Galleria and back. There's so many new development projects along my route to see.
  • Like 2

Honorable Mention: Marriott Marquis

honorable-mention-marriott-marquis-slide

Developer: Rida Development

Landscape Architect: SWA and Clark Condon

Building Architect: Morris Architects

Delivered: Under construction now, with estimated completion in September 2016

It’s not an apartment, but you can no longer talk about pools in Houston without mentioning the Marriott Marquis Convention Center’s Texas-shaped lazy river towering 110 feet above Downtown. The resort terrace also includes an infinity pool, full-service spa and fitness center, outdoor bar and grill, and group pavilion.

https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/multifamily/10-sexiest-pool-decks-in-houston-44975

• Like 9

Honorable Mention: Marriott Marquis

honorable-mention-marriott-marquis-slide

Developer: Rida Development

Landscape Architect: SWA and Clark Condon

Building Architect: Morris Architects

Delivered: Under construction now, with estimated completion in September 2016

It’s not an apartment, but you can no longer talk about pools in Houston without mentioning the Marriott Marquis Convention Center’s Texas-shaped lazy river towering 110 feet above Downtown. The resort terrace also includes an infinity pool, full-service spa and fitness center, outdoor bar and grill, and group pavilion.

https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/multifamily/10-sexiest-pool-decks-in-houston-44975

I can't wait to swim in this. Well, drink while relaxing in this.
  • Like 2