Marriott Marquis: GRB Convention Center Hotel At 1777 Walker St.

Subdude

Ahh, so you are correct. As for photography, the rules at discovery green are only for commercial/professional photography I believe.

I believe that you are correct.

But, as in all things, their website says one thing and their policies say another. It seems from their policy at ALL photography needs a permit! Go figure! " hey, lady, stop using your cell phone to take a picture to send to your dad ...... You don't have a permit". Sure.

http://09386884b485c871ec98-261f167dd14131de9e2c0863c81c425d.r77.cf1.rackcdn.com/3543722d-27b2-40a1-a0bf-bbbc8c53809d.pdf

Oh, and did you notice the part that EVERY park patron must agree to be photographed and NO children under 14 can be photographed without first asking for parental consent? Sure. Any idea how many trillions of images a year are snapped that violate this provisions?

Good lord!

It would be essentially impossible to take a photo in the park if one was to strictly comply with this policy.

Edited by UtterlyUrban
  • Like 1

Well, that's not the first time some outfit's overly paranoid corporate counsel wrote up something that ends up being totally unrealistic in an effort to cover the corporate tukus twelve ways from Sunday (and/or Saturday and/or Friday if those are days of worship in a particular tradition), together with any and all holidays, including but not limited to the secular and religious, without regard whatsoever to the number of actual practitioners of said traditions that are or who may be present or consciously or peripherally aware of the celebration.   :mellow:

For the record, I was an early adopter of the Plain English movement in my own practice.

There is a factory preset on mine limiting it to 400' in height. If you turn that off/change the limit past 400' a message appears warning you from certain things. The controller range is 700 meters (like 2,400'?), but I'm not sure that translates vertically?

There is a factory preset on mine limiting it to 400' in height. If you turn that off/change the limit past 400' a message appears warning you from certain things. The controller range is 700 meters (like 2,400'?), but I'm not sure that translates vertically?

I've seen videos of people taking them up above 3000'...however, most of them ended in disaster or near disaster due to the battery dying or just barely making the full trip.

• Like 1

As downtown fills in will there be a squeeze on event parking at Minute Maid and other venues?

I am quite sure that will be a hotly discussed topic with the City and the press and landed interests. There are lots of suburban folks who believe that unless the parking facility has 110% capacity and is adjacent to the venue, that there is a shortage.

The reality is that events typically take place at night or on weekends. Given that, there are garages all over downtown, some only a few blocks away from the venues, that will hold all the needed cars plus some.

I think that a bigger issue as downtown fills out is traffic. There was an epic "city jam" last winter when the rockets were playing and there were a few corporate Christmas parties at the Hilton and other venues with stuff going on DT. It took some folks 30 minutes to go 3 blocks. Others turned around and went off to dinner and came to the Christmas dinner party late.

Everyone found a parking space..... But traffic was epic!

Summary: there is plenty of parking. Congestion is likely a bigger issue as more and more comes to downtown. A robust rail/Mass Transit system will help in the future.

Edited by UtterlyUrban
  • Like 3

As downtown fills in will there be a squeeze on event parking at Minute Maid and other venues?

Sounds like a win for metro ridership numbers to me. some people find it easier to park along or near the rail and then ride into downtown or TMC. We just need to find a way to turn that "some" into "many"

Downtown has what? Over 100,000 parking spots? With a residential population of what 5k?

Plus all these residential projects are building more parking exceeding the number of units they are building so although the lots are decreasing the total available to ballpark attendees, the new residents are not exactly competing with attendees for spots.

But wow, with all the hotels, apartments, offices etc being built I'm sure downtown Houston will hit 150,000 parking spots soon. Even with all the open lots being obliterated. But like someone mentioned, congestion is going to be a B.

the development is removing 100 car surface lots and replacing them 500, 600+ garages with more built in users. Scary thought. Metro sounds more attractive to me

Looking at that aerial map makes me wonder where should Houston's Metro Center go and a good bus terminal should go also. Actually downtown is so big it needs several stops. Would be interesting to transpose DC Metro Map over Houston to see how many stops would fit in Downtown/MidTown/Med Center with similar distances. Now is the time for Transportation HAIF to start dreaming, we need that to make it all come together. You can see the broad outlines of the future with these views for sure.

The post office site or court house district ate the choices obvious to me.

House commuter rail, high speed rail, city bus and greyhound there and then it's an easy transfer to light rail.

• Like 1

It's just so nice seeing some steel construction in this town (the other being MATCH) when it's completely dominated by concrete (which I love concrete), but there is just something about steel construction that is just great to watch

• Like 1

^^^ depressing, no way!  there are many many haif patrons that may not even be around once houston cbd reaches it's full potential.  let us just take what we have and live life to the fullest.  this is what GENERATIONS do.....

• Like 3

A unified skyline from downtown to the med center is very very far away. What I'm more excited about is seeing downtown fill up. It is already very dense from this view and this side will be almost filled once all the proposed projects finish up. The south/southeast side is what needs more work.