Marriott Marquis: GRB Convention Center Hotel At 1777 Walker St.

Subdude

From 59, by Minute Maid Park, this thing and the Hampton Inn/Homewood Suites already look HUGE. The Marriott Marquis is about as tall as the GRB, and the HI/HS covers a lot of ground, so downtown finally looks like one continuous mass of buildings from 45 to 59! These are exciting times!

Agreed!

Add the additional new buildings planned for the area and it will really look amazing!

I think we have a crane operator who posts on this board--- he(or she) can probably speak from experience. But from an engineering point of view, think of it this way, If i'm building a 600 foot skyscaper, and I build the crane to 600 ft tall before any building is up, then I have to account for the wind loads of all 600 ft without any lateral stability. We all know that Torque is a function of Distance times force. Another word for torque in structural design is Moment. A 600 foot tall crane, is going to have an enormous moment at the bottom which will require a larger crane foundation(not to mention soil restrictions may control the design). So, basically If I'm restricted in real estate like many projects in downtown, a shorter crane is easier to design for at the beginning, As the building goes up, I can extend the height of my crane, and anchor to the structure for lateral stability (which is, designed for those kind of wind loads). 

Check out this corny video on how these things are assembled

Mute if you hate montage music. 

• Like 5

Interesting to note that on the Crawford street side, the structural columns that are just now rising to street level are steel instead of reinforced concrete used in the building structure that is rising closer to GRB.

I saw that too.

Parking structure and pool and likely a floor of conference facilities will be in that box, right?

I saw that too.

Parking structure and pool and likely a floor of conference facilities will be in that box, right?

I didn't think there is any parking structure within the hotel building, but looking at Morris Architects description it appears there is an 8-level 750 space parking garage.  (I thought the hotel's parking was all going to be in the building being built across Avenida de las Americas.)

In addition to apparently including parking, the box will contain the pool and three floors of conference facilities, etc on top of a floor of lobby/restaurants etc.

Edited by Houston19514

question for construction gurus...

Do they typically raise cranes (increase how tall they are) during the construction process? Or do they usually build them from the get go the size they need.

Thanks in advance.

they will start at the minimum height, then jack up the crane as the building increases in height, if necessary.

It all depends on the final height of the building.

Short buildings, they will usually not need to increase the height much, supertalls they may jack them up a few times.

• Like 2

I'm loving the impact this building is already having on the area. Love the slick look of the final renderings.

I wonder if there is room on site fir expansion if the convention district demands it.

I think this will be the US MM with the least number of rooms but with one of the best looks. I do like the SF one too.

The ATL one has the most floors but looks outdated. The NY marquis is the tallest and has the most rooms, but I like the renderings of ours better. The DC one is the shortest at only 18 floors, but still has more rooms.

With everything going up on the east side of downtown I am hoping the convention district takes off and expands even more.I loved staying att the Hilton because of the atmosphere around discovery green, can't wait to stay at the MM

• Like 1

I was wondering how they formed the slanted columns. Very nice. They have a rectinlinear formwork, just like a typical column. Then the 4th side (the slanted side) they offset inwards (see the 2nd picture). Probably a through pin/pipe to set the angle. 

Thanks for the pictures!

They would use the same formwork, but it would have additional bracing to get the angle for the slant. As far as maybe using different rebar or a particular type of concrete I do not know. I'm still learning about stuff like this. Would be better to ask a structural engineer :P