Marriott Marquis: GRB Convention Center Hotel At 1777 Walker St.

Subdude

That's not really true. Demolition often happens in preparation for something "better" that never actually happens, or to clear "blight," which was very liberally defined for decades. And in this city in particular, where demolition is so deeply embedded into the culture, buildings are often demoed just to make a property more appealing to potential developers. Look, you can build whatever you want! We already cleared the land for you!

I hear you point. But let's talk about eastern downtown houston about 30-40 years ago. The buildings (likely 100-plus) that were demolished.... Were they full of tenants who were kicked out to make way for demolition! Was the area thriving economically? Or were a bunch of buildings already empty relics ? My pure guess (I really don't know) is that much of what was demolished was already empty with little prospect of becoming economically viable.

40 years hence, those empty, non-code, and uncared for buildings would have have been little more than inventory for the wrecking ball anyway.

So, I'm watching them pour concrete right now.  It is raining outside and the place is a red lake mudpit from all the rains we've had.  I can see water under the mesh of rebar they are pouring into.  Will the concrete absorb this water or will density differential just push it up and over the edge of the bounded area?  Any engineers out there can answer this?  And yes, there is a location built out for the next crane, its currently under water, but its up against the north wall by that light rail digging error that has pushed back the east line to 2015.

Maybe it was an assumption on my part, but this piece of rail out my window has been roped off for ages with lots of activity on it and it fits the location generically described in the article below.

http://www.chron.com/news/transportation/article/Metro-says-rail-lines-delayed-until-2015-5762590.php

Cloud has obviously given up reading the ridiculous rail discussions in the Transportation Folder.  I admire that. 

It's like a black hole though, once you start you're just sucked in...

Like a train wreck, I suppose... (sorry, I just had to)

The way a couple of the more frequent posters there troll each other, it's almost like a serial.  Or bickering neighbors.   :unsure:

• Like 1

Maybe it was an assumption on my part, but this piece of rail out my window has been roped off for ages with lots of activity on it and it fits the location generically described in the article below.

http://www.chron.com/news/transportation/article/Metro-says-rail-lines-delayed-until-2015-5762590.php

Metro is, in my opinion, inept.

Honestly.

This timeline likely had over 6 months padded into it for contingencies .... They still missed the deadline.

Plenty of tax dollars but Accountability?

Seems like none.

Oh for the love of Mike.

METRO is no more responsible for a contractor on an unrelated project causing damage to its infrastructure than it is when some bozo drives right into a bus stop rain shelter.

And people wonder where the jihad referred to on another thread comes from?  :huh:

Edited by mollusk

Oh for the love of Mike.

METRO is no more responsible for a contractor on an unrelated project causing damage to its infrastructure than it is when some bozo drives right into a bus stop rain shelter.

And people wonder where the jihad referred to on another thread comes from? :huh:

If I were in metro, knowing that months and months and months of padded contingencies had been lost, already, I would absolutely find any possible opportunity to divert attention. Busted water pipe is a good one.

Now, may I ask what committee of 37 in metro approved a design for infrastructure of these tracks that would make all the "stuff " that needed to be replaced with the rupture of a KNOWN and EXISTING water main? Seems that Metro's design should have taken this contingency into account? Instead, the fact that a water main broke (hint, water mains do break) and destroyed critical NEWLY DESIGNED infrastructure is someone else's fault? Yes, the break was someone else's fault. But, METRO, apparently failed to consider how the break of a know and existing water main (or, for that matter, a flood.... We don't have any of those, right?) could impact infrastructure,

PR spin.

If I were in metro, knowing that months and months and months of padded contingencies had been lost, already, I would absolutely find any possible opportunity to divert attention. Busted water pipe is a good one.

Now, may I ask what committee of 37 in metro approved a design for infrastructure of these tracks that would make all the "stuff " that needed to be replaced with the rupture of a KNOWN and EXISTING water main? Seems that Metro's design should have taken this contingency into account? Instead, the fact that a water main broke (hint, water mains do break) and destroyed critical NEWLY DESIGNED infrastructure is someone else's fault? Yes, the break was someone else's fault. But, METRO, apparently failed to consider how the break of a know and existing water main (or, for that matter, a flood.... We don't have any of those, right?) could impact infrastructure,

PR spin.

Excellent points, gotta go with you on this one.

I mean seriously, some chilled water destroyed the ENTIRE UNDERGROUND INFRASTRUCTURE of a train line?? What are they gonna do when it rains or floods, shut down the trains and replace the infrastructure every time?

I smell bull.

PR spin.

Pretty sure this kinda stuff happens a lot more than you think. Just because they're labeled in the drawings doesn't mean they weren't originally put to be out of the way or mismarked or hell, maybe they needed to just dig close to the water line and made a mistake. this happens all the time in the construction world.

Pretty sure this kinda stuff happens a lot more than you think. Just because they're labeled in the drawings doesn't mean they weren't originally put to be out of the way or mismarked or hell, maybe they needed to just dig close to the water line and made a mistake. this happens all the time in the construction world.

Very true, BFS.  

One can try to account for all the contingencies in the world, and still be thrown off schedule by something like this: http://houston.cbslocal.com/2012/12/06/driver-crashes-into-metro-bus-stop/

• 2 weeks later...

Taken from Hess Tower.Lots of concrete pours. Still a lot to go. The black strip in the road in the lower rigt corner is the repair of the street where they fixed the light rail. The asphalt was poured yesterday and they opened that lane up to traffic today. The construction in the pper left corner is the new GRB garage.

post-13560-0-06323900-1412366550_thumb.j

• Like 9