Marriott Marquis: GRB Convention Center Hotel At 1777 Walker St.

Subdude

Is this the W hotel that Houston has been waiting on? If not, what are the options?

Pretty much zero chance of it being a W. W just doesn't do large convention hotels such as this. Omni seems like a very strong possibility. The strong relationships Rida Development mentions on their website are Omni, Starwood and Hilton.

HIlton is pretty much out of the question for obvious reasons.

Omni has been very aggressive in recent years in pushing into the convention hotel business, so seems to be most likely.

Starwood is finally getting its first downtown presence this December when Inn At The Ballpark becomes a Westin. I would think they would be quite eager to add to their presence... so that would most likely be a Sheraton flag.

Rida has a Hyatt on their website, but it says they did "development services only" so they may not have any relationship with Hyatt. Besides, we already have a Hyatt Regency downtown so that's pretty unlikely.

Although Rida does not seem to have any Marriott flags in their current portfolio, I would think Marriott would be eager to add a full-fledged Marriott flag to their downtown presence.

Edited by Houston19514

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty much zero chance of it being a W. W just doesn't do large convention hotels such as this. Omni seems like a very strong possibility. The strong relationships Ride Development mentions on their website are Omni, Starwood and Hilton.

HIlton is pretty much out of the question for obvious reasons.

Omni has been very aggressive in recent years in pushing into the convention hotel business, so seems to be most likely.

Starwood is finally getting its first downtown presence this December when Inn At The Ballpark becomes a Westin. I would think they would be quite eager to add to their presence... so that would most likely be a Sheraton flag.

Rida has a Hyatt on their website, but it says they did "development services only" so they may not have any relationship with Hyatt. Besides, we already have a Hyatt Regency downtown so that's pretty unlikely.

Although Rida does not seem to have any Marriott flags in their current portfolio, I would think Marriott would be eager to add a full-fledged Marriott flag to their downtown presence.

I was told by someone at Morris who is the architect for this development that it will be a Marriott.

I was told by someone at Morris who is the architect for this development that it will be a Marriott.

Isn't 806 Main going to be a JW Mariott? I have no idea if corporately they would or would not not want to open two locations (albeit different brands) very near by in quick succession. The two hotels will obviously serve different purposes, so who knows.

Isn't 806 Main going to be a JW Mariott? I have no idea if corporately they would or would not not want to open two locations (albeit different brands) very near by in quick succession. The two hotels will obviously serve different purposes, so who knows.

Yes, 806 Main is going to be a JW Marriott. It would not be surprising at all for them to want a Marriott convention hotel as well. (They have both a JW Marriott and a Mariott in Uptown, for example, and as you said, the two hotels would serve very different purposes.) Plus, Marriott already has three hotels in downtown Houston, with the JW slated to be the fourth... Residence Inn, Courtyard, and Hotel Icon.

From Central Houston's latest newsletter:

Houston First has chosen Houston-based developer Rida to negotiate final terms for a second convention center hotel. Houston First’s goal is the development of a ~1,000-room hotel within two blocks of the George R. Brown, and an ~800-space parking garage. The hotel will be constructed on Block 99. Construction could begin in the first quarter of 2014, and the hotel should open in 2016, prior to the Final Four. Houston First is also seeking additional commercial and residential development in the immediate vicinity, which were recommended in the GRBCC’s recent master plan.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I think we have another thread on this topic, maybe if someone can find the other we can merge. I remember in it, someone complaining about the orientation of the hotel. Well, maybe the reason was to allow views from the site the city is marketing to the north. Per the caption of the below rendering, "Please note the rendering of RIDA's Hotel is different form the rendering shown above, allowing ample visibility of Discovery Green" After all, conventioneers will stay in the hotel regardless, because they're there for a purpose, but those leasing an apartment will live there and demand a view, which still looks like only a portion could get anyway. (how's that for a run on sentence)

city%2520property%2520sale.jpg

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 1

Great PDF. I really enjoyed reading this list.

America's Coolest Cities to Live

Forbes - August 2012

Cities Where a Paycheck Stretches Furthest

Forbes - July 2012

Top Destination City

U-Haul International - April 2012

Top Ranked Metros

Site Selection Magazine - March 2012

Top U.S. Manufacturing Cities

Manufacturers' News, Inc. - March 2012

Fastest Growing Economy in North America

Brookings Institution - January 2012

Fastest Growing Wages in U.S.

Business Insiders - January 2012

Top Technology Job Growth

CyberCoders - January 2012

Best Cities for Manufacturing

Forbes - December 2011

Best-Performing Cities

Milken Institute - December 2011

Top 10 Manufacturing Cities

Business Facilities - August 2011

Fastest Growing Metro Area

Kinder Institute for Urban Research - July 2011

Top Cities for I.T. Jobs

Modis - May 2011

One of my concerns regarding these proposed developments adjacent to Discovery Green is the shade cast upon the park. IMO, one of the things that makes Millennium Park in Chicago (a common comparison) so wonderful is that - in the middle of the city - the park is an open greenspace with no shade cast upon it by nearby highrises. I wonder if this development will make Discovery Green less desireable to some people.

One of my concerns regarding these proposed developments adjacent to Discovery Green is the shade cast upon the park. IMO, one of the things that makes Millennium Park in Chicago (a common comparison) so wonderful is that - in the middle of the city - the park is an open greenspace with no shade cast upon it by nearby highrises. I wonder if this development will make Discovery Green less desireable to some people.

The high rise location looks to be more North than East of the park. Aside from the fact that all of downtown's main high rises are due west (and thus casting shade over the entire park in late afternoon), I dont think this tower will cast much shade on it except for maybe the side facing La branch.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

With all of the sunshine / heat Houston gets I don't think people will mind a little shade.

• Like 2

The high rise location looks to be more North than East of the park. Aside from the fact that all of downtown's main high rises are due west (and thus casting shade over the entire park in late afternoon), I dont think this tower will cast much shade on it except for maybe the side facing La branch.

Thoughts?

Yeah, I don't think anyone needs to lose sleep worrying about shadows cast on the park by buildings built to the north/northeast of the park. Millennium Park has managed quite nicely with 83 story, 64 story, 54 story, 41 story, and 40 story buildings lining its north side. To the extent these new buildings cast shade on Discovery Green it will only be during the very hottest times of the year, when a little shade would be welcome by both plants and humans.

Edited by Houston19514

If anything, a shiny glass building in that location will probably reflect MORE light on to the park from that angle. I hope all the trees, the children playing in the fountain and the nice people walking their cute puppies aren't going to be x-rayed into oblivion when the sun comes out.

• Like 1

What I love even more than the hotel rooms, the cool design or the height... this development has AWESOME potential for the street level of the area. really excellent.

Can't wait to see all of the new Conventions Houston will attract with this beauty!! And we'll finally have the hotel rooms to garner some larger customers!

just noticed something in the rendering... what are those "box office" looking structures in front of the GRB? it looks like they are placed in the middle of the street and that the street has been turned into a pedestrian promenade of sorts. has that been part of the convention districts plan?