Marriott Marquis: GRB Convention Center Hotel At 1777 Walker St.

Subdude

Thanks for the clarification. But please note that you did in fact say the big lighted signs came down because of the ordinance. To quote: "All of this signage was taken down because of the city ordinance."

Ah, I see that you are right, I did say that! Mea culpa.

If I were to try to wiggle out of this, I would amend that sentence to say "...because of the ordinance and the political pressure that led up to it." :-)

I am not certain about the timing and sequence of events. However, please note that I just said that there were big lighted signs prior to the ordinance, not that they all came down when it went into effect. For years before the ordinance, there had been an ongoing public discussion about whether the giant signage downtown was too ugly, too crassly commercial, or just bad for Houston's image. It's easy to imagine (tho' I admit I don't know) that some corporate execs and/or building owners saw advantages to removing the signs even w/o the ordinance.

As a side note: there were articles in the local papers when the rotating Gulf disk came down. Also, when they removed the giant letters that spelled "Tenneco" the top of that building (now called the Kinder Morgan Tower). I don't know about the former, but I think it was stated that the latter was removed explicitly because of the ordinance. Those were big letters! That building occupies a square block, and the name "Tenneco" spanned each of the four sides of the building, across the top floor.

I think you are incorrectly confusing the sign ordinance with the disappearance of the downtown signage. The downtown sign ordinance was enacted in 1993. It limited the height of new signs to about 42 feet. Older signs above that height were grandfathered. None were required to be removed because of the ordinance. Simply, no new signage could be erected.

Tenneco was sold to El Paso Corporation in 1996. I believe that this had far more to do with the removal of the TENNECO letters than the sign ordinance, as Tenneco no longer existed as a gas company, and no longer headquartered in Houston.

I think you are incorrectly confusing the sign ordinance with the disappearance of the downtown signage. The downtown sign ordinance was enacted in 1993. It limited the height of new signs to about 42 feet. Older signs above that height were grandfathered. None were required to be removed because of the ordinance. Simply, no new signage could be erected.

Tenneco was sold to El Paso Corporation in 1996. I believe that this had far more to do with the removal of the TENNECO letters than the sign ordinance, as Tenneco no longer existed as a gas company, and no longer headquartered in Houston.

1st paragraph is correct, as we had previously established. 2nd paragraph; not so much. The Tenneco sign was gone from the building long before El Paso took over the building and the gas business.

Edited by Houston19514

• 2 weeks later...

Two finalists to build the new hotel have been selected. They expect to select a winner in the next couple of weeks.

http://www.bizjourna...town-hotel.html

Cool.

Two finalists are (1) Houston-based Rida Development Corp. and (2) Dallas-based TRT Holdings/Omni Hotel

Man, I'd LOVE to see all of the proposals.

Kinda funny that the top of Rida's website home page features an Omni Hotel they developed.

Looks like either way, Omni is certainly a leading contender to be the flag on our new convention hotel.

Cool.

Two finalists are (1) Houston-based Rida Development Corp. and (2) Dallas-based TRT Holdings/Omni Hotel

Man, I'd LOVE to see all of the proposals.

Kinda funny that the top of Rida's website home page features an Omni Hotel they developed.

Looks like either way, Omni is certainly a leading contender to be the flag on our new convention hotel.

After looking at those hotels on their website, I hope they go with TRT.

• Like 1

There has certainly been some new projects over there, but recall this pic is from ~1985. Nearly 30 years ago. You list 8 projects that have been built. I will throw in MinuteMaid to make it 9 projects. That's 1 project every 3 years. That doesn't seem so impressive. How many new projects in the Galleria since then?

There has certainly been some new projects over there, but recall this pic is from ~1985. Nearly 30 years ago. You list 8 projects that have been built. I will throw in MinuteMaid to make it 9 projects. That's 1 project every 3 years. That doesn't seem so impressive. How many new projects in the Galleria since then?

Should probably throw in Inn at the Ballpark too.

It is not exactly fair or useful to compare one side of downtown with all of the Galleria area, but what the heck, I'll take a stab at it:

Dominion Post Oak, 1200 Post Oak, Lofts on Post Oak, Uptown Park, Villa d'Este, Montebello, Centre at Post Oak, Blvd. Place, 2200 Post Oak Blvd, 3009 Post Oak Blvd., Whiteco Residential, WaterWall Place, 2525 McCue, Manhattan, the Mark, the Mercer, 16 projects and that taps out my memory. I'll add more as they are proposed by others.

Meanwhile, to do an actual comparison of Downtown with Uptown, we would have to add at least the following to the downtown list:

Hobby Center, Wortham Theater Center, Heritage Plaza, 1500 Louisiana, 1000 Main, 717 Texas, Post Rice Apartments, Houston Ballet Center for Dance, Bayou Place, Lofts at the Ballpark, BBVA Compass Stadium, BG Group Place, new Civil Courthouse, new criminal courthouse, new jury assembly plaza, City View Lofts, Bayou Lofts, Hotel Icon, Magnolia Hotel, Alden Hotel, Club Quarters Hotel, JW Marriott Hotel, Downtown Aquarium, Courtyard/Residence Inn/Humble Tower apartments, Commerce Towers condos, Keystone Lofts, Sabine Street Lofts. I think that's another 27 projects, leaving downtown with 37 projects.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

There have certainly been many other projects in downtown since 1985 (although most those you list aren't very vertical, and several of them are rehabs, haven't been built, or are outside of downtown). In any event, I think the size of the Galleria area is more comparable to the east side of downtown shown in the first pick of GBR being built, hence my comparison.

There have certainly been many other projects in downtown since 1985 (although most those you list aren't very vertical, and several of them are rehabs, haven't been built, or are outside of downtown). In any event, I think the size of the Galleria area is more comparable to the east side of downtown shown in the first pick of GBR being built, hence my comparison.

You've added a bunch of new qualifiers. If we're leaving out projects that aren't very vertical and projects that are not completed, my Galleria area count drops to about 5 projects. (FWIW, I don't think I included any projets in either downtown or uptown that were not already under construction).

I earlier left out the Mark and the Mercer condos in uptown. So that gives us 7 projects in Uptown (excluding uncompleted projects and projects that aren't very vertical).

FWIW, the area of downtown we are discussing is approximately 200 acres (the area in the picture east of the then-existing tall buildings, plus Minutemaid and Toyota Center and the Pavilions). The Uptown District is officially 500 acres, but that area does not even include all of the listed projects or some acreage within the Galleria area.

Edited by Houston19514

Admittedly, there are several locations in the GRB/Discovery Green area now from which Downtown Downers could jump if they could no longer deal with the slow pace of development. They could not do that in 1985.

And why is it so sad?

In that picture from 1985 - what was there 30 years previously - not a whole lot.

Old decrepit houses, scrubby industrial buildings, falling down hotels.

That's why they were leveled for parking lots.

It's just by 1985, the other 1/2 of downtown had just finished a ridicoulous 20-year boom that had transformed it and made the contrast so evident. If you had taken this picture in 1965, nobody here would be throwing a hissy fit.

Rida-proposedhotel-092512.JPG

I know it's only a preliminary rendering, but I would've preferred the NW/SE Tower orientation mirroring Hilton Americas, not the NE/SW orientation depicted.

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 2

happy about the ground floor retail too. however, what retail, other than restaurants, might be feasible in this location? you can't bank on convention business alone. there aren't enough residents or out of town shoppers for clothing. chain stores not dependent on the success of one location perhaps?

• Like 1

I hope that rendering is close to reality. I was afraid they were going to build a replica of the Hilton based upon early models. I love the glass overlooking the park and I think this orientation will lead to some great views (west towards downtown and east with the great industrial night time lights)

• Like 1