Marriott Marquis: GRB Convention Center Hotel At 1777 Walker St.

Subdude

From the webcam, it looks like the blue crane segments went into the taller tower crane and it also looks like they are assembling another red crawler crane.

From the webcam, it looks like the blue crane segments went into the taller tower crane and it also looks like they are assembling another red crawler crane.

• Like 1

18E28607-8785-4603-9A9D-7686CC844270_zps

if my cellphone camera wasnt so grainy you could more easily spot the 8-9 active construction sites in this shot..

construction sites from left to right

Nau Center

GHP Building

GRB CC renovations

Marriott Marquis

Hampton Inn/Homewood Suites

Texaco Building renovations

609 Main

Market Square Tower

and something happening up around the Westin sign.

i bet someone could get a ridiculous panorama from the Hess garage roof, including a few more construction sites that i was unable to get from this angle.

• Like 4

That might have somehing to do with the particulars around the pool deck and whatever equipment they need to run the pumps, etc. That thing is not going to be a simple undertaking.

yeahhhhh I distinctly remember my Structures professor warning us to avoid putting any significant bodies of water on top of our buildings specifically because it's a nightmare to figure out in regards to loads, and protection of the structure from possible leaks because once you have a leak in that pool...dum dum dummmmmm

• Like 2

yeah, bodies of water on top of a structures arent fun. Big inertia problem during earthquake and wind loads. An Olympic swimming pool has about 88,000 cubic feet of water, which is about 5,600,000 lbs of just water over an area of 164 ft x 82 ft. That gets you a load of about 414 psf. Which is basically, 'really freaking heavy'. I briefly looked through some of the codes for loading regarding swimming pools. Couldnt find it (at least in the 5 minutes I looked) but I did find ice rinks are specified at 300 psf. I'd imagine theyre dealing with similar loads. 

That being said, I'm not sure I would conclude they've elected to go with steel framing at lower elevations due to the presence of the pool. Generally, I would expect the 'higher' load areas to use reinforced concrete. I guess if we see a hefty lateral bracing system, it could provide more evidence that the pool influenced the steel framing design. 

/speculating. 

• Like 3

yeah, bodies of water on top of a structures arent fun. Big inertia problem during earthquake and wind loads. An Olympic swimming pool has about 88,000 cubic feet of water, which is about 5,600,000 lbs of just water over an area of 164 ft x 82 ft. That gets you a load of about 414 psf. Which is basically, 'really freaking heavy'. I briefly looked through some of the codes for loading regarding swimming pools. Couldnt find it (at least in the 5 minutes I looked) but I did find ice rinks are specified at 300 psf. I'd imagine theyre dealing with similar loads. 

That being said, I'm not sure I would conclude they've elected to go with steel framing at lower elevations due to the presence of the pool. Generally, I would expect the 'higher' load areas to use reinforced concrete. I guess if we see a hefty lateral bracing system, it could provide more evidence that the pool influenced the steel framing design. 

/speculating. 

Not just the structure, but the program and organization of the entire building as well.....ok maybe not complete reorganization of program. I assume that if the architect and engineer BOTH said the lazy texas river was ok to put on a roof then the architect and the team of designers must have done a fantastic job early on programming the building and making earlier design decisions which could then make it work for the client. It's obvious that the water will not be over any areas where people will be sleeping or living. I wouldn't be surprised if this pool is over a large assembly space so if there ever was a leak it wouldn't be hidden in a forest of walls. I'm actually curious as to how they handled this design problem both structurally and aesthetically.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 2

Speaking of hotel pools, the Hyatt has one above their garage and you can hear/feel a strange echo every time you walked on the bottom. Their pool, is of course, nothing compared to the size and scope of this.

I'm pretty excited to see the finished project. I think I will be visiting this pool.

That brochure is amateur at best.

True, but this was clearly made as an update presentation and while the graphics might be "amateur" the information isn't and it's a solid update of everything that is being planned for Downtown. The portions with Main Street and Dallas Street/Shopping District had images which I don't know if we have seen yet or at least in a package with other efforts.

• Like 2