Marriott Marquis: GRB Convention Center Hotel At 1777 Walker St.

Subdude

What is really interesting is the feeling you get now when you walk around this area with all of the projects going up at once.

This is going to make the Eastern side of downtown look and feel so much larger. Along with the 28 story Catalyst, and Fingers ballpark apartments

the downtown will have a new outer ring of high-rises. When this is finished the drive in from 59 north or I-10 will be amazing.

I love the towers on the west side of downtown. its an amazing sight coming in on 45, but for my taste I like the east side. From the East, you can see all of Houston

from the smaller old buildings to the towers on the west. 

This new expansion will push it out even farther. Now we have a void in the middle to fill during the next growth spurt.

• Like 2

There are two leaning pillars, each opposite each other (compare the pic from the north to the pic from the south). So either this is a consistent mistake, or it is purposeful.

If you mean the ones on the far right side of the building in the picture, then this architect says yes, this was done intentionally.

EDIT: Some additional context might help. If you look at one of the renderings that shows this side of building then you will notice that in the area where this column (or series of columns) are you will see that the exterior slants out from the building in the same angle as the column. The column most likely was designed in this way to mimic the exterior and since they are taking this extra effort to do so for this particular area then that space is probably one of some significance to the program. I don't think anyone on here has posted specific floor plans for this building. So it's anyone's guess as to the nature of the space. The architecture of this room though is by design.

Edited by Luminare

If you mean the ones on the far right side of the building in the picture, then this architect says yes, this was done intentionally.

EDIT: Some additional context might help. If you look at one of the renderings that shows this side of building then you will notice that in the area where this column (or series of columns) are you will see that the exterior slants out from the building in the same angle as the column. The column most likely was designed in this way to mimic the exterior and since they are taking this extra effort to do so for this particular area then that space is probably one of some significance to the program. I don't think anyone on here has posted specific floor plans for this building. So it's anyone's guess as to the nature of the space. The architecture of this room though is by design.

^ I came here to post exactly this.

We are looking at the corner where the sports bar is at ground level, where the building clearly juts out at an angle above the bar.

houmq_phototour12.jpg

• Like 4

Not to throw this off topic too much, but I was driving downtown the other day and I can't imagine how the trains and traffic are going to coexist. Why is there so much less driving restrictions around these lines than the red one? It doesn't even make sense.

• Like 2

Not to throw this off topic too much, but I was driving downtown the other day and I can't imagine how the trains and traffic are going to coexist. Why is there so much less driving restrictions around these lines than the red one? It doesn't even make sense.

I ride my bicycle on the weekends downtown and I was wondering the same thing, why no turtle humps dividing the trains from the cars like on Main St? Do they think Houstonians are now accustomed to mixing it with the trains after 11yrs?

From 59, by Minute Maid Park, this thing and the Hampton Inn/Homewood Suites already look HUGE.  The Marriott Marquis is about as tall as the GRB, and the HI/HS covers a lot of ground, so downtown finally looks like one continuous mass of buildings from 45 to 59!  These are exciting times!

Edited by Gator Purify
  • Like 3