Marriott Marquis: GRB Convention Center Hotel At 1777 Walker St.

Subdude

At 4:30am this morning, Saturday, construction crews were working on this project.

It seems that the construction schedule on this thing is darn near 24-7. The city and the contractor aren't messing around here. They seem to be tossing all the manpower at it that is More than necessary to hit their deadline of opening in mid-2016.

• Like 2

I know a young 20-something urbanite. He laments this building as it will cut off all views north of discovery green from the green. Personally, I am fine with it, but, you can see the difference already.

Yea, I can't wait for it to cut off the views of the disappearing parking lots.

• Like 6

Yea, I can't wait for it to cut off the views of the disappearing parking lots.

True.

In a perfect world, I would have had the city develop a big hotel just north of the GRB (where the garage and small hotel are going now and then use the Marriott land as PARK. Condemn McKinney and combine the entire thing into one park. That would have been ideal for me. Then, build what you will around the park. Oh well. I believe that discovery green will become so well used that, 20 years from now, planners will be quite sadden by the prior generation's "lack of foresight" at the opportunity to expand the park .....lost with the new Marriott.

True.

In a perfect world, I would have had the city develop a big hotel just north of the GRB (where the garage and small hotel are going now and then use the Marriott land as PARK. Condemn McKinney and combine the entire thing into one park. That would have been ideal for me. Then, build what you will around the park. Oh well. I believe that discovery green will become so well used that, 20 years from now, planners will be quite sadden by the prior generation's "lack of foresight" at the opportunity to expand the park .....lost with the new Marriott.

We'll just tear down Embassy Suites and expand that way.

• Like 4