Marriott Marquis: GRB Convention Center Hotel At 1777 Walker St.

Subdude

Wow, are you serious? Beats the hell out of being an airline pilot (among many other things).

Dead serious.

Some of the older, tenured guys i work with pull in $200,000+ a year, easy, but thats only because we are in Texas, a "right to work", good ol boy, anti-union, southern, republican area.

Up in NYC, where the unions are strong, tower crane operators in Manhattan are pulling down half a million dollars a year.

• Like 4

Dead serious.

Some of the older, tenured guys i work with pull in $200,000+ a year, easy, but thats only because we are in Texas, a "right to work", good ol boy, anti-union, southern, republican area.

Up in NYC, where the unions are strong, tower crane operators in Manhattan are pulling down half a million dollars a year.

$500k in NYC is about the same as $200k here. Our affordability is one of the best in the nation. I've had friends move to NYC because their pay is being doubled. Then the call me and say they are struggling to make it in a tiny apt etc.

Dead serious.

Clearly the anti-union climate has put you crane operators in a tough situation. May I ask what the competition is like for these jobs, and the learning curve? It seems like this would be a pretty good deal for a lot of people.

Clearly the anti-union climate has put you crane operators in a tough situation. May I ask what the competition is like for these jobs, and the learning curve? It seems like this would be a pretty good deal for a lot of people.

There are two sides to this profession in Texas.

Union and non-union.

I am a proud local 450 union member. There is a 3 year apprenticeship program you must complete to become a journeyman operator. When you graduate, all school hours are accredited through HCC and are equivalent to an associates degree.

As far as competition, Houston is the hottest crane job market in the world right now, there are not enough operators to fill these seats, there is a MASSIVE shortage of good hands. There are currently more out of towners here than I can ever recall, operators from New York, Chicago, Miami, California, they are ALL coming to Houston for jobs, and that is STILL not enough.

This current boom we are in (crane job wise) is projected to last for at least the next 10 to 15 years here in Houston. Many of the out of towners I have met are moving here permanently.

The amount of projects going up right now that require cranes is endless, and not just in construction, but in the petrochemical plants, which is where the majority of my work is.

The South Texas Nuke project is a go again, from what we are being told, that in itself is about 10 years of work. Then you have Exxon Baytown using Bechtel and Linde to build one of the largest ethylene cracker units in the world at their refinery. That will create thousands of jobs.

Also Enterprise Products Partners just inked a 30-year agreement with the Port of Houston Authority for land to build the world’s largest refrigerated ethane export plant on the Houston Ship Channel.

That is thousands more jobs for years, and the list goes on and on.

Good time to be in my industry, as long as the bottom doesnt fall out of oil again like we saw in the 80's, god forbid.

Edited by Howard Huge
  • Like 5

Haha yeah looks like you got enough time on your hands up there to do your taxes. I'm 29 and am considering doing something totally different than what I'm doing now (work loss prevention retail). Work is SUPER laid. I make my own schedule and I'm basically not tied to being there I can leave anytime during the day. I visit several stores daily but of course the $ could be better. It's just hard to leave a job with so many "extras". Thanks for the feedback.