Marriott Marquis: GRB Convention Center Hotel At 1777 Walker St.

Subdude

I think the issue with the crown was the angle they've always shown has made it look grander than it really is. Although disappointing, this is still a great looking building, and it goes on one of my most hated parking lots downtown. So yeah, I'm happy.

1560572_690533211004549_7982898963633898

More from the Houston First Corp. & GRB Convention Center FB page:

10177927_690971490960721_293870085546984

10255423_690971427627394_599688101121410

1511380_690971424294061_1451018614465080

the mayor doesnt look very convinced.. heh. thats a nice looking model though. should be a great project/addition to the area. im glad they kept the light up roof.

I'd go with the model being the more accurate as to what actually gets built.

Me, too.  Models are usually built to scale, as well as later in the timeline.  BTW, the exaggerated perspective of the rendering can also be a bit deceiving.

• Like 1

the mayor doesnt look very convinced.. heh. thats a nice looking model though. should be a great project/addition to the area. im glad they kept the light up roof.

She's not impressed with the dumbed-down crown.

Me, too.  Models are usually built to scale, as well as later in the timeline.  BTW, the exaggerated perspective of the rendering can also be a bit deceiving.

If that is the case, the floor heights of the upper floors must be drastically lower than the lower ones. This is to be expected to some extent in a hotel, but in this case you have five floors at the bottom accounting for more than a third of the height of the building!

Just holding out hope that the model is wrong.

If that is the case, the floor heights of the upper floors must be drastically lower than the lower ones. This is to be expected to some extent in a hotel, but in this case you have five floors at the bottom accounting for more than a third of the height of the building!

Just holding out hope that the model is wrong.

Would that not be roughly equivalent to what the Hilton has? I know that the lobby and the big ballrooms up on the second/third level all have tall ceilings. 

^I can't see an architectural model that big being fudged and wrong.  Now a rendering will be (and I've done it) skewed to make things look a little sexier.  Models are almost always to scale and accurate - particularly when that size and for such a public ceremony.

Slightly off topic, but photos like above are great for adding to http://www.historypin.com/   do the owners of the photos mind if I add them?

Houston, TX doesnt have a lot

http://www.historypin.com/map/#!/geo:29.760193,-95.36939/zoom:10/

Which owners? lol Me or Urbannizer or both? My images are free to distribute anywhere except Reddit.com. So feel free to add them.... again, if you are asking me!

lol. 

Anyway, off topic again. (sorry mods). I plan on adding construction photos of various project (including this one) to Historypin. In my opinion, 5,10, 15 years down the road, if the site is still functioning, I think people will appreciate those photos. I'll of course, ask permission and give credit on the site. 

• Like 1