Marriott Marquis: GRB Convention Center Hotel At 1777 Walker St.

Subdude

just noticed something in the rendering... what are those "box office" looking structures in front of the GRB? it looks like they are placed in the middle of the street and that the street has been turned into a pedestrian promenade of sorts. has that been part of the convention districts plan?

Not exactly.

IIRC, the districts plan for Avenida De Las Americas was to create dedicated Bus Lanes for drop off on the East side of the median (closer to GRB) while leaving the western portion of the median for vehicular traffic.

GRB_MasterPlan_Rendering_1.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a discussion of what it will take from the city in terms of funds/development incentives that it's going to take to get the Hotel built. Looks to be a lot, totalling $138 million. Houston First will give $58.7 million in cash, $53 million in rebates on city property, hotel and alcohol sales over 20 years, $26 million in rebates on state taxes over 10 years and it will be owned by RIDA who will keep excess revenue (unlike the Hilton owned by the city)

Houston First will also build a $31 million parking garage, which will be leased by the hotel for $62 million over 50 years.

For the curious, it will be a Marriott Marquis hotel.

I'm not sure about the project. It comes at a steep price, without a lot of the benefit that came with the investment in the Hilton. I'd rather the project take on the steps used to build the Hilton, it's a better deal for the taxpayers.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/City-to-offer-hotel-developer-138M-in-incentives-4109932.php

i am far (FAR) from an expert on these matters but i suppose you need to take into consideration what the NPV of the $53M over 20 yrs and $26M over 10 yrs compared to the taxable revenue they expect to generate not only from the hotel but the retail and parking garage, beyond the $62M lease, in addition to the projected increase in overall convention business which on the surface one would think would be substantial (or so we've been led to believe). i'm not familiar with the ownership structure of the hilton so i can't really comment on that.

• Like 1

Here is a discussion of what it will take from the city in terms of funds/development incentives that it's going to take to get the Hotel built. Looks to be a lot, totalling $138 million. Houston First will give $58.7 million in cash, $53 million in rebates on city property, hotel and alcohol sales over 20 years, $26 million in rebates on state taxes over 10 years and it will be owned by RIDA who will keep excess revenue (unlike the Hilton owned by the city)

Houston First will also build a $31 million parking garage, which will be leased by the hotel for $62 million over 50 years.

For the curious, it will be a Marriott Marquis hotel.

I'm not sure about the project. It comes at a steep price, without a lot of the benefit that came with the investment in the Hilton. I'd rather the project take on the steps used to build the Hilton, it's a better deal for the taxpayers.

http://www.houstonch...ves-4109932.php

Also, the hotel shares some upside with the City (a point that is somewhat buried in the mish-mash of an article in the chron): If the Marriott's net operating income exceeds $32 million a year, ... revenue above that, up to a maximum of $36 million, will go to reduce the city's tax rebates.

Also, note that the City built and owns (will build/will own) the parking garages for both hotels. in the case of the Hilton garage, the city pays the Hilton $3 Million per year to operate the garage. The city will operate the Marriott garage and the Marriott will pay to use it.

I'm glad it passed.

That said, if it's going to be a Marriott Marquis, then what happens to the conversion taking place at 806 Main right now? Isn't that supposed to become a Marriott Marquis as well? Would seem odd to have them so close together...

The original rumor about 806 Main was that it was going to become one of the brands under Kimpton Hotels... hopefully that is true.

• Like 1

I'm glad it passed.

That said, if it's going to be a Marriott Marquis, then what happens to the conversion taking place at 806 Main right now? Isn't that supposed to become a Marriott Marquis as well? Would seem odd to have them so close together...

The original rumor about 806 Main was that it was going to become one of the brands under Kimpton Hotels... hopefully that is true.

I think the 806 Main location will be a JW Marriott.

ya i think my previous comment about them making that whole area a more pedestrian-friendly promenade was on point bc those building on ave de americas are clearly retail, at least in these renderings. looks like they plan on resurfacing the entire area... looks nice. assuming the lot behind the hotel turns into a residential tower this area is going to be transformed quickly.

Pardon my ignorance, but do we know if this will take up two lots (hotel and parking garage)?

It will take up two lots. The lot the hotel will be built on and the parking garage will go on the lot directly north of the GRB.

Yeah that pool is going to be insanely awesome.

Are they going to redo McKinney infront because the surface looks like it is striped in a weird way. Does anyone know anything about that?

In the article it mentioned that Houston First Corp is going to spend $23 mil to make Ave De Americas more pedistrian friendly by incorporating retail and restaurants. So they most likely will resurface the area.

Pardon my ignorance, but do we know if this will take up two lots (hotel and parking garage)?

Yes. the hotel will be on the oversized block (1 1/2 blocks) just to the north of Discovery Green. The parking garage will take the block immediately to the north end of the GRB.

Very excited about this project. The design and layout of the hotel are fantastic and the plans for Avenida de las Americas look great as well. The next 3 years are going to bring another huge leap forward for downtown Houston.

Edited by Houston19514

ya i think my previous comment about them making that whole area a more pedestrian-friendly promenade was on point bc those building on ave de americas are clearly retail, at least in these renderings. looks like they plan on resurfacing the entire area... looks nice. assuming the lot behind the hotel turns into a residential tower this area is going to be transformed quickly.

Now I understand Avenida. The retail and pedestrian walkway will be in between the two sides of traffic. Some of the renderings were confusing me at first.

I might have missed it, anyone taking guesses to the floor count of this thing? This rendering makes the Marriott look about as tall at the Hess next door. But, it also looks like it could have over 40 floors. That would be such an awesome addition to that side of the skyline. It will make downtown look wider from the Northwest/Southeast at a distance, just like Hess did.

Just humor me, Rendering=Contract for the sake of discussion.

aww man

Yeah, I saw that too. But I think there is reason to hope for a significantly earlier start and finish than May 2014-May 2016. This seems to have moved very fast so far. With the city having already approved the package, the plans being as complete as they seem to be, and the brand name already chosen, the deal is pretty far advanced and it does not seem like it should take another 1 1/2 years before they can start construction. Further, Rida Development's president was recently quoted as saying he would love to be one of the host hotels for the 2016 Final Four, April 2-4, 2016.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1