Marriott Marquis: GRB Convention Center Hotel At 1777 Walker St.

Subdude

Go to Main st. in any small town in Texas and you can see a dozen houses just like that one. Demo it and build something useful to the Convention/sports district.

While I disagree about tearing it down, it should be moved to a plot in a neighborhood in the loop and be used as what it is. A home.
  • Like 1

Why? Would it really be out of place in the vacant lot between La Carafe and Hearsay? or on Commerce Street next to Spaghetti Warehouse or backing up to the sunset coffee building? or facing Main between Nit Noi and the Harris County building? or in the parking lot next to Treebeard's? There actually  seems like there's quite a few places in the historic district where you could plop it down and it could become a great little bar/restaurant. 

• Like 2

Oh okay, yes I could see it moving to the historic district somewhere and being turned into a bar/restaurant or something like that. I just think it should be moved from this particular location with all of the massive developments going on in the convention/ball park district. There used to be two houses here, where did the other one go?

• Like 2

It's out of place in a city that is desperately trying to revitalize its core downtown with numerous multi family projects and office space. There will soon be a day where those surface parking lots will be replaced with high rises and a tiny old dilapidated house has no place downtown, when it could be enjoyed in a museum setting elsewhere.

• Like 1

i realize not everyone will agree.. but its funny how Houston is so quick to destroy anything historic, but when it comes to these houses they must be preserved. I'm not saying demo them.. i just don't think it belongs in an urban downtown setting. even near Market Square. the architecture doesn't go at all with the historic architecture around Market Square Park. if the Church wants to use a house as administration purposes, by all means save that house! but if you're not going to put these houses on property that has no chance of being redeveloped anyways (IWA or SHP) then you are just hindering urbanization. id probably rather see them donated to people who can't afford a house, plopped down outside of the CBD. maybe a historic designation/plaque could go in the front yard, but beyond that.. i don't know about these houses.

drone? thats the construction web-cam mounted to the side of Hess..

^^^ seriously?  well, i must confess, i have viewed many many construction web - cams, and i have never ever viewed one with this particular clarity.  brilliant!

• Like 1