Sunnyside

VicMan

Have any of you been to Sunnyside?

Sunnyside is off of 288, and it is predominately African-American. Most of the houses if not all of them are one story tall.

Sunnyside has a motel (a Palace Inn). Since I believe that the only sort of people who would stay there are people who cheat on their wives, I nicknamed it "The Cheaters Inn".

The following is strictly OPINION..

Highest Crime & Lowest Income Areas of Houston (in no particular order):

CENTRAL

• 5th Ward
  • Denver Harbor

SOUTH CENTRAL

• 3rd Ward
  • South Union
  • Sunnyside
  • South Park

NORTH SIDE

• Acres Homes
  • Inwood
  • Independence Heights

SOUTHWEST SIDE

• Gulfton
  • West Sharpstown
  • Alief

Again, this is strictly my opinion, and its based on common knowledge, talking with HPD & HFD, and personal experience.

• 3 years later...

My family is looking at different areas that are convenient to Downtown and the Med Center since I work in the Med Center. We haven't had a chance to drive over and see what the area looks like so I was wondering if anyone could give me some info on it. I have already looked into the crime stats a little bit but any advice and info would be appreciated!

My family is looking at different areas that are convenient to Downtown and the Med Center since I work in the Med Center. We haven't had a chance to drive over and see what the area looks like so I was wondering if anyone could give me some info on it. I have already looked into the crime stats a little bit but any advice and info would be appreciated!

If you can afford to live east of 288, north of the South Loop, and south of the Brays Bayou, that is a much better area than Sunnyside...and even then you're going to get funny looks from your coworkers when you tell them you live there. You might also look at parts of the Riverside Terrace area or in the East End.

Sunnyside is for slumlords. Otherwise, steer clear.

It can be dangerous at night, the problem lies in the arrangement and number of 2 story apartment complexes. Usually the parking is cloistered by the bldgs with access by way of periphery alleys. There might be good areas but I can assure you it's not in those complexes off of scott st. or any adjacent areas.

Don't know if you consider this Sunnyside, but check down Cullen in the neighborhood off of Bungalow St. It has mostly older homes from the 50s and 60s owned by older people, and a new addition from just a few years ago. I think the subdivision is called Paradise Oaks? It's that region where Sunnyside ends and starts to become more "Pearlandish".

If you can afford to live east of 288, north of the South Loop, and south of the Brays Bayou, that is a much better area than Sunnyside...and even then you're going to get funny looks from your coworkers when you tell them you live there. You might also look at parts of the Riverside Terrace area or in the East End.

Sunnyside is for slumlords. Otherwise, steer clear.

I'll second Niche's recommendation. South Union is just north of the South Loop, and is generally nicer than Sunnyside. Just north of South Union is Scott Terrace, which is generally nicer than South Union. Just north of Scott Terrace is Riverside Terrace, and if you can afford to live there, you are probably dictating your posts here to your executive assistant. ;)

I've also heard there is drainage problems in Sunnyside. Many of the streets still have ditches with no sewer lines (I have seen this with my own eyes).

Still, not sure if it is prone to flooding or not.

Also, the crime factor was one of the major issues that prevent me from moving there. Two of the houses I went to look at had been broken into when I showed up with my agent.

I really appreciate the feedback from everyone.

I was doing a lot of research and saw that they are trying to "revitalize" the Sunnyside area and I was curious about what it's like now.

The thing that keeps me intrigued about the revitalization is the potential for big gains to pay off but I don't know which areas to trust with it.

In Sunnyside, Houston HOPE is offering up to $30000 off of any home, existing or new, so I figured I would look into it.

Are there any other areas that you guys would recommend looking into that have GOOD revitalization potential and grant programs? I don't always believe the city because that doesn't guarantee that the crime will go down. I completely understand that this is Houston but we aren't trying to raise our son in a crime ridden area with bad schools.

Thanks!

• 2 years later...

The thing that keeps me intrigued about the revitalization is the potential for big gains to pay off but I don't know which areas to trust with it.

Are there any other areas that you guys would recommed looking into that have GOOD revitalization potential and grant programs? I don't always believe the city because that doesn't guarantee that the crime will go down. I completely understand that this is Houston but we aren't trying to raise our son in a crime ridden area with bad schools.

Thanks!

Good questions. I am looking for a starter home that will increase in value. There are some places I like in the Spring area near where I live now, but I don't like SISD and it's potential future and worried future buyers will stay clear of that area (although I'm a little surprised that some of the homes around 1960 and south of there are as high as they are, so maybe they're not that scared).

There are some nice new homes in Sunnyside but it sounds like everyone is saying to stay away I like this one: http://search.har.com/engine/7830-Brandon-Houston-77051_HAR83479567.htm

Do people have other suggestions for good starter type homes areas not in the exurbs? Is everyone still down on Sunnyside 2+ years later?

Good questions. I am looking for a starter home that will increase in value. There are some places I like in the Spring area near where I live now, but I don't like SISD and it's potential future and worried future buyers will stay clear of that area (although I'm a little surprised that some of the homes around 1960 and south of there are as high as they are, so maybe they're not that scared).

There are some nice new homes in Sunnyside but it sounds like everyone is saying to stay away I like this one: http://search.har.co...HAR83479567.htm

Do people have other suggestions for good starter type homes areas not in the exurbs? Is everyone still down on Sunnyside 2+ years later?

I'm of the 'never say die' set, but it will take a lot to turn Sunnyside around. The neighborhood is facing serious challenges (bad reputation and poor existing housing stock) that will take a concerted effort to fix.

My advice: Take a long look at some places on the Southwest side - just past the gentrified neighborhoods. Look at this place in Robindell, Or this in adjacent Braes Timbers, or this in Braeburn Terrace.

To get cheaper you could go a little further west and find houses starting at $80k and going up to $140k. If you go a bit east, you're in Meyerland and houses start in the $200s and go up to $1 million. (Reason for that is schools - Meyerland is zoned to Bellaire; Robindell and the other neighborhoods are zoned to Sharpstown).

You mentioned that you want convenience to downtown and the Medical Center. Downtown's pretty easy - just take Hillcroft to 59 and 59 in. The Med Center is an easy drive, too - and beautiful (along South Braeswood). If you ever wind up working in Uptown, it'll be even easier. 15 minutes in the thick of rush hour.

Archived