Vacant lot Auction - how do I find out what was on the property previously?

native_Houstonian

There is a lot that I am interested in purchasing that is coming up for auction. My only concern is that I have no clue what occupied the property previously. How do I find out if there was an old gas station or dry cleaners there that may lead to soil contamination? Is this something that I sould be concerned about?

There is a lot that I am interested in purchasing that is coming up for auction. My only concern is that I have no clue what occupied the property previously. How do I find out if there was an old gas station or dry cleaners there that may lead to soil contamination? Is this something that I sould be concerned about?

Your best tools are Google Earth's historical imagery, which goes back to 1944, and the EPA's EnviroMapper. TCEQ also has a registry of underground storage tanks, and possibly other databases that would be worth searching.

I second google earth...just remember, NICHE is not talking about the google maps online...he is talking about the program Google Earth that you have to download...but it does have historical maps that go back pretty far.

Archived