Houston With One Skyline

Simbha

So, one of my associates is learning various sketch programs because... well... she wanted to do so. She asked for permission to do so 'on the clock' and I told her I'd allow it - IF she produced a minor project each time that demonstrated her skill.

She's now starting Google Sketchup. Her project is to consider the hypothetical question of "What would Houston's skyline look like, if it were less spread out?"

She's chosen to start by moving existing models done by others into Midtown - beginning with the Uptown skyline. I figured I'd share it with HAIFers, so... here's the result:

6439043861_074211dbd3_b.jpg

(Sorry if it's a bit difficult to see; blue buildings on a grey background isn't the best combination. :P)

The Uptown buildings are right-center of the image, more-or-less adjacent to Downtown.

If I find that there's interest on the board to see how the project progresses, I'll post more in the future.

Edit/Add: If anyone has any suggestions for placement of Houston buildings in this regard, please feel free to post them below.

Here's another view.

She pulled together some more buildings earlier this night. This includes some buildings from Greenway Plaza, the American General complex, and some residential towers - specifically, some more from Uptown and the two large ones on Kirby - as well as the Memorial Hermann Tower at I-10 and Gessner.

6440454845_0003482c2d_b.jpg

Cool. What about a view from the street?

She's working on aligning the large structures to the grid now. It's difficult to do so because Sketchup imports the Google Earth ground layers as low-res images; thus, it takes some time. She'll probably be done with it later today.

She's actually got work-work to do, you know! :P

She's now starting Google Sketchup. Her project is to consider the hypothetical question of "What would Houston's skyline look like, if it were less spread out?"

IMO, the best way to answer such a question is by driving southbound on the 610 East Loop over the ship channel bridge and directing your view westward. Do so on a slightly hazy day so that the emphasis is on the form of the skyline rather than individually prominent buildings. From left to right, you'll see Reliant Park, the Medical Center, Greenway Plaza, Uptown, Upper Kirby, and then Downtown, and each of the skylines merge seemlessly with the others.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Houston With One Skyline

Archived