Home At 9007 Manhattan Dr.

Willowisp

It's the most expensive one-story house for sale in Meyerland under 4000 square feet. But it's on a pretty big lot. I'd say give it a chance and see what you think.

That is a spectacular mod, and dare I say a good price for it? I've probably been looking at Memorial area homes for too long to think over $500k is a decent deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Mod of the Month

Sunday, July 11th, 2010 2:00 - 4:00 PM

Houston Mod invites you to join us this Sunday, July 11th (2:00-4:00 PM), for Mod of the Month.

A significant mid-century modern house and additional lot currently for sale will be open for touring. The house is located in Meyerland in southwest Houston.

9007 Manhattan Drive, Houston, Texas 77096

Meyerland, Section 6B

lr2576635-16.jpg

lr2576635-5.jpg

This stunning contemporary/mid-century modern house is situated on two beautifully landscaped lots on a quite street in a prime section of Meyerland. The house offers four bedrooms and spacious flowing living areas with nine and ten foot ceiling heights where walls of glass meld interior and exterior spaces. The kitchen features granite counters, double ovens, gas range, compactor, and a microwave oven. The master bath includes a separate enlarged shower and whirlpool tub, a dressing area and two walk-in closets. The master bedroom is large and opens directly to a deck overlooking the tranquil grounds of the neighboring lot which is also available.

HAR Link

Support future Mod events by becoming a member of Houston Mod.

Houston Mod publications will be available during the open house including:

High Style in the Suburbs, The Early Modern Houses of Architect William Jenkins, 1951-1958.

See you there,

Houston Mod

Houston Mod was recently recognized with a third "Good Brick Award" from the Greater Houston Preservation Alliance for the Mod-of-the-Month open house program.

• 1 year later...

Hello, we are moving from the Bay Area where we live in a great MCM home (See listing here). We would love to find a larger MCM home (over 2500 sq ft) close in to the city with a larger lot (>10,000 sq ft) and great schools. Budget is up to 800K. Willing to put in work to restore. We have been looking in Bellaire and Meyerland and have found the pickings slim - homes are either too small or lots are small. We have been looking on Houston Mod too. Any leads would be appreciated or is this not possible?

• Like 1

Hello, we are moving from the Bay Area where we live in a great MCM home (See listing here). We would love to find a larger MCM home (over 2500 sq ft) close in to the city with a larger lot (>10,000 sq ft) and great schools. Budget is up to 800K. Willing to put in work to restore. We have been looking in Bellaire and Meyerland and have found the pickings slim - homes are either too small or lots are small. We have been looking on Houston Mod too. Any leads would be appreciated or is this not possible?

First off, you have a beautiful home.

Next -- I don't know much about residential architectural history or the Houston real estate market. What I do know is that Zillow's a great source for finding information on homes.

Here's what I did: I went to Zillow.com and searched for Houston. Then, I used the following 'advanced' filters to find several homes in the city:

- Only For Sale houses (no rentals)

- Minimum 2,500 sq ft

- Minimum 10,000 sq ft lot size

- Year Built: 1933 to 1965 (since this is what Wikipedia tells me counts as an MCM home)

- Home type: Single Family

When I apply these filters, I see quite a few properties that pop up on the map. I suspect you'll be able to find something you like if you search well enough using this tool.

Here's a link to my search results; I'm not sure if it'll work for you or not but - if so - it'll save you a bit of time... Link.

Good luck!

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to mention that sometimes the search results will come up with unmapped entries. You can find these records by clicking the link at the top of the box with the filters, once you've clicked Search.

Edit2: Note that some of these homes may not be on the market any longer. However, most of them should be.

Edited by Simbha

Thank you Simbha and BenH. I was able to click through your link, Simbha, and got to a map with homes - I appreciate the help! BenH, we looked at that home and it needs a lot of work - foundation, roof, plumbing. We are not sure we're up for that much work. We will keep looking!!

Marin: If you want to look for schools in the Bellaire and Meyerland areas, plug the addresses into this site:

* http://dept.houstonisd.org/ab/abcx_tool/search.asp

Once you get the names of the schools you can compare them

For high schools you can look up their SAT and ACT scores at HAR.com.

Generally the Bellaire and Meyerland areas have the top schools in HISD

Hey MarinMod we just made the same move! We moved from San Jose to Houston in August. We settled in Meyerland which has some great MCM homes. The only problem is they really don't come up for sale that often. :( The schools are great, Kolter for elementary, Johnson or Pin Oak for middle school and Bellaire for high school. Bellaire does not have many MCM houses, most of Bellaire is being rebuilt into newer construction.

If you need any help with your move just let me know.

• The title was changed to Home For Sale At 9007 Manhattan Dr.
  • The title was changed to Home At 9007 Manhattan Dr.