K-Mart At 630 West Little York Rd.

IronTiger

I was looking around on Google Maps for some reason, when I came across this odd flea market that appears to be something else at one point in time. Building looks to be in bad shape.

http://g.co/maps/cx4xe

630 West Little York is the address, but I can't find anything on it except that it's "Trading Fair 4" flea market today.

Was built as a K-Mart man, many years ago. If I remember right, it was the only K-Mart in the north part of Houston at the time. The building has been in very poor shape for many years and considering the area, I'm suprised it hasn't been burned down by homeless, vandals, or arsonists.

Kmart was one of my guesses, but it didn't (at least from my very limited looks at Bing/Google Street View) look like one right away. It being a Globe or Sage was an option.

But thanks! Looks like according to Google Earth, closed in the mid-1990s.

If I remember correctly, that North Shepherd post office across Shepherd from that ex-KMART was originally a retail store of some kind for a very brief time in the 1970s before being turned into a post office. Anyone from the area remember what that store was?

If I remember correctly, that North Shepherd post office across Shepherd from that ex-KMART was originally a retail store of some kind for a very brief time in the 1970s before being turned into a post office. Anyone from the area remember what that store was?

I think I heard relatives say that it was called Shopper's Fair or something like that

The roof use to leak really bad and many of the vendors use to complain that they had to keep plastic over their tables to keep the merchandise dry on rainy days. It has been closed since "IKE" hit Houston. The roof finally gave way and the whole building is considered unsafe. So far there are no plans to reopen the site.

I think I heard relatives say that it was called Shopper's Fair or something like that

Shopper's Fair was at Shepard and Crosstimbers....it is now apartments. In its time, it was a major department store. I have pics as a baby with my mom there. Sears (which is still there) and a church were across Crosstimbers from it.

The roof use to leak really bad and many of the vendors use to complain that they had to keep plastic over their tables to keep the merchandise dry on rainy days. It has been closed since "IKE" hit Houston. The roof finally gave way and the whole building is considered unsafe. So far there are no plans to reopen the site.

I thought it had been closed long before that. In either case, it is an example of urban blight that needs to be torn down before tragedy happens.

• The title was changed to Flea Market/Abandoned Store At Shepherd/Victory/West Little York
  • The title was changed to K-Mart At 630 West Little York Rd.

Archived