Top Chef Texas

trymahjong

Guess the unexpected NY snow contributed to more TV viewing---The top chef commercials started---a few foodie residents asked why Top Chef Texas excluded Houston----using San Antonio, Austin and Dallas instead----hmmmmmmmmmm

didn't know what to say. . . . .I thought the culinary stuff in Houston was on the rise. . . .

wonder what happened?

Bravo was asking for something like $400k from the city for the "privilege" of being on their show and the city said no thanks... I am actually glad, yea it isnt that much money but what does this really do for our city...virtually nothing. Now if it was on a major network it might be another story.

Very interesting. And possibly illegal, because I can see how these shows could be classified as commercials, and there are rules about identifying who's sponsoring commercials.

It is important to note that it wasn't Bravo or NBCU/Kabletown that allegedly solicited the money, it was Top Chef's production company. Hardly any shows are actually made by the network they air on, they're made by independent companies who then shop the show to the highest bidder. That's why you sometimes see shows jump networks.

I'm sure somewhere there is someone who cares. Perhaps one of the several hundred thousand viewers? With viewership that low, I'm sure there is a better place to spend $400,000, like maybe on an ad that runs during the show for A LOT less money...which happens to be exactly what the CVB is doing.

I'm sure somewhere there is someone who cares. Perhaps one of the several hundred thousand viewers? With viewership that low, I'm sure there is a better place to spend $400,000, like maybe on an ad that runs during the show for A LOT less money...which happens to be exactly what the CVB is doing.

I agree there are/were probably better ways to spend $400K with the budget issues Houston is having....but Top Chef has many more than several hundred thousand viewers (the Top Chef Masters show had 1.25million viewers), it has even won an Emmy Award....it wouldn't have been a bad thing to get some Houston coverage

I agree there are/were probably better ways to spend $400K with the budget issues Houston is having....but Top Chef has many more than several hundred thousand viewers (the Top Chef Masters show had 1.25million viewers), it has even won an Emmy Award....it wouldn't have been a bad thing to get some Houston coverage

The biggest problem was that, for $400k, the show's producers were unwilling to give any assurance or warranty regarding the quantity or quality of attention that Houston got in their show. Another issue is that a show about Texas will draw disproprortionate viewership from...Texans. People that already live here shouldn't be the target demographic of a marketing campaign.

• The title was changed to Top Chef Texas

Archived