UrbaNerd

I was bowsing around, and I ran into this:

http://skyscraperpage.com/gallery/data/589/28houston_future02.jpg

What is that tower with the "bowl" on top? Ive never seen this before!

• Like 1

Actually, that looks like it could have been an alternative plan for the Tenneco Building.

OK, so I know it’s not called that anymore. But I can’t keep up with all the changes, so I always call buildings by their original names. The second tallest building in that picture is and will always be the Allied Bank Plaza to me.

Oh good - it's not just me.

Tenneco will always be Tenneco, and Transco (I think that's what you meant) will always be Transco. Same with Allied Bank, Republic Bank, Texas Commerace Tower, and the Enron Buildings. I even kind of gag at Minute Maid Park.

Does Chrysler still own the Chrysler Building? I'm guessing they don't...but the name remains the same.

Clase tower was originally going to be 85 floors, but with Hobby airport and the FAA, they decided it would be better to just stop at 75. Just imagine though if it were 10 floors higher. It would register out to about 1,102 feet or so. That would have passed some of those buildings like the one in Atl. and L.A. in front of it. That would make it taller than the chrysler building in NYC. B)

As for the Location of the BoTSWT, it was to be built on the surface parking lot behind 1 Shell Plaza.

Here

Actually, thats not such an exact picture, but its the surface parking lot behind 1-Shell Plaza, Its surounded by Rusk, Milam, Louisiana, and Walker Street.

You are one block off . . . The location of the BoTSWT was to have been the block bounded by Walker, McKinney, Louisiana and Milam. The block you referred to (Rusk, Walker, Louisiana, Milam) is the location of Two Shell Plaza.

In passing downtown today I noticed a building with a similar dome on top. It was around 20 floors, although I didn

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

None of the designs for the Bank of the SW ever did anything for me. The winning design looks like the 2 tallest buildings they buily in Philly around the same time. Besides a few examples, mostly in Houston, I'm just not down with post-modernism. Houston's downtown skyline is almost perfect in several ways. I've always had a hard time imagining an addition that is taller than the current tallest 2 buildings, whatever they may be called nowadays.

It'll happen, and for the cities' sake, I hope it does, but I don't like the proposals that have been submitted so far, regardless of whether they'll be built or not.

• 1 month later...
None of the designs for the Bank of the SW ever did anything for me.  The winning design looks like the 2 tallest buildings they buily in Philly around the same time.  Besides a few examples, mostly in Houston, I'm just not down with post-modernism.  Houston's downtown skyline is almost perfect in several ways.  I've always had a hard time imagining an addition that is taller than the current tallest 2 buildings, whatever they may be called nowadays.

It'll happen, and for the cities' sake, I hope it does, but I don't like the proposals that have been submitted so far, regardless of whether they'll be built or not.

you are so right. there are 2 buildings in philly with that distinctive crown. although the bank of the southwest would have been much taller.

i hear that the winds up there (top of the reliant building) can be pretty ferocious.  would that have been open-air seating?

Xeelee scanned that pic and posted it over at SSP back in the day. I've been up to the top of Continental Plaza before. The winds are not TOO bad... i mean it can get windy.