Mosquitoes

heights

Has anyone else noticed the mosquitoes in the Heights are absolutely vicious the last couple of days? I haven't seen any spraying trucks lately, either.

Do any of you HAIF-er's have a Mosquito Magnet or one of the other trapping devices? If so, do they work?

Has anyone else noticed the mosquitoes in the Heights are absolutely vicious the last couple of days? I haven't seen any spraying trucks lately, either.

Do any of you HAIF-er's have a Mosquito Magnet or one of the other trapping devices? If so, do they work?

Yes, I have noticed. I haven't tried the mosquito magnet, but I'd be willing to buy if it works. I was outside earlier for about 30 seconds and was bit 3 times through clothing.

I was about to start a thread about this myself. I've never seen them this bad. It's the middle of the day and I just got around two dozen through the slap method--it would be satisfying except that it doesn't even put a dent in the swarm. I hate wearing repellant, but I think I'm gonna have to...and also put some on the dog where he can't lick it.. They're driving him crazy too.

Niche? Niche! Did you make it home?

I had to fog my yard to complete the basic mow-and-sweep today. (Don't get in my face...I use Eco-Smart). They were swarming me as if they were conspiring to kill me This was like post-Ike. They are slow, however. I usually can smack them dead and my cat is getting a large dietary supplement from those which sneak inside. She loves chasin' and eatin' skeeters.

I am relieved to hear that this is a problem elsewhere in the 'hood. I was starting to wonder.

Niche? Niche! Did you make it home?

I had to fog my yard to complete the basic mow-and-sweep today. (Don't get in my face...I use Eco-Smart). They were swarming me as if they were conspiring to kill me This was like post-Ike. They are slow, however. I usually can smack them dead and my cat is getting a large dietary supplement from those which sneak inside. She loves chasin' and eatin' skeeters.

I am relieved to hear that this is a problem elsewhere in the 'hood. I was starting to wonder.

Eventually yes, I did return home. The big ones were visible in the low-angle sunlight from a distance, almost like flies. But the little ones were the worst. I have bites on my feet, and I was wearing running shoes! How the hell did that happen?

What i'm surprised about is that there was enough standing water for them to reach maturity. those little moo's are flying around in packs.

I think I saw a group of them carrying away a cat.

Walking the dog this morning was terrible because of the mosquitoes. They're swarming and the breeze is gone so they attack relentlessly. They must be breeding in the sewer. Everyone, call 311 (M-F 6am-8pm) and get the city to spray. We haven't had any mosquito control in at least a year.

Walking the dog this morning was terrible because of the mosquitoes. They're swarming and the breeze is gone so they attack relentlessly. They must be breeding in the sewer. Everyone, call 311 (M-F 6am-8pm) and get the city to spray. We haven't had any mosquito control in at least a year.

mosquito spraying would have been pointless because the eggs were dormant because of the lack of rain, but now it would be rather useful. I think even the bats were happy, they put on a particularly spectacular show a couple of nights ago.

Early in the summer the city was still spraying my area every Sunday evening. They stopped sometime mid-summer.

I released a Houston mosquito in Dallas tonight. (What's the symbol for grimacing smile?)

Damn, what type of monster skeeter are you trying to spawn? The outcome of a Houstonian skeeter mated with a Dallasville skeeter could bring Texas to her knees! ;)

They are terrible this year, for most of the summer they have been bad at dusk/dawn, but the past few weeks they are bad 24/7. I've notice the "no-see-ums" are much worse this year too. (i feel like you normally notice mosquitoe bites immediately, these take a few minutes to notice and then you have like 10 bites). My friends and I got in from Longboarding Friday night around 1am and we were quickly chased inside by those vampires.

This must be a very localized problem. I had a friend mention to me yesterday that he had half a dozen get into his place this weekend. That was in one part of Montrose half a mile from me. But in my part of Montrose, I haven't seen a mosquito all summer. I was outside enough over the weekend I should have seen the latest infestation.... but nada.

So in short, Sucks to be you people.

Had a BBQ on my neighbors porch last night. Citronella candles burning, mouthwash splashed on the porch, and mosquito repellent which consisted of 97% DEET was liberally sprayed.

I apparently didn't get complete coverage (well, on purpose really, DEET plus plastic watch face = melted plastic watch face) so my wrist around my watch looks like a mosquito war zone. We eventually ended up inside.

This must be a very localized problem. I had a friend mention to me yesterday that he had half a dozen get into his place this weekend. That was in one part of Montrose half a mile from me. But in my part of Montrose, I haven't seen a mosquito all summer. I was outside enough over the weekend I should have seen the latest infestation.... but nada.

So in short, Sucks to be you people.

LOL. Maybe they just are not attracted to you because it's definitely not localized. Worse it's been all year at my house in Sugar Land and at work in the Rice U area. Even getting attacked in the middle of the day.

Damn, what type of monster skeeter are you trying to spawn? The outcome of a Houstonian skeeter mated with a Dallasville skeeter could bring Texas to her knees! ;)

Plus, the skeeter's fashion sense will probably take a dive while cratering its credit score.

According to the Chronicle, Harris County has no plans whatsoever to spray. The excuse is that they never spray unless West Nile breaks out. Other surrounding counties are spraying aggressively. I ask everyone to call the county and complain about their policy.

713-440-4800. Calling may be impossible though. I've tried five times yesterday and today and it seems they've taken the phone off the hook. There's no provision for voice mail. Harris County Precinct 1 Office 713-755-6111.

According to the Chronicle, Harris County has no plans whatsoever to spray. The excuse is that they never spray unless West Nile breaks out. Other surrounding counties are spraying aggressively. I ask everyone to call the county and complain about their policy.

713-440-4800. Calling may be impossible though. I've tried five times yesterday and today and it seems they've taken the phone off the hook. There's no provision for voice mail. Harris County Precinct 1 Office 713-755-6111.

I'd rather have the county save a few bucks instead of spraying for such a short season.

Perhaps you need a donation for some DEET related products?

Archived