Sale Sucre At 2916 White Oak Dr.

sonic0boom

"Sale-Sucre" is the name of the place according to permits (there are some accents over the "e"s, so I think it is supposed to be an expression for salty-sweet in French). Beyond that, I don't know. Would be wonderful to have a French cafe in the Heights.

• 3 weeks later...

I walked by this weekend and saw that this place is in full build out mode. Looks like there will be a bar in addition to a dining room. Aside from a coming soon listing on b-4-u eat, I cannot find anything about this place. Anyone know who the owners are? Chefs?

• 2 weeks later...

There seems to be a emerging parking issue for "restaurant row" due to Christian's. Last night I noted that D'amicos and Tacos-a-go-go were relatively empty, yet Christian's was packed out...and there wasn't a single parking space in sight. I had to park in the middle of the parking lot to grab a to-go order from Tacos-a-go-go. While D'amicos has signage for guest spots, it doesn't appear to be enforced. Throwing another establishment into the mix isn't going to help, especially since folks seem to camp out at Christian's for a long time.

The main property owner has added paid parking down Threlkeld, and that lot was empty. The pay lot fills up often on weekends and seems to be working well absorbing surplus. All the business and property owners have open lines of communication, much of it face-to-face, so I bet they find a way to work it out as long as the city stays out of it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do something like a 2 story garage where the new lot is. Another restaurant owner (not on White Oak) mentioned to me that it had been discussed and that they were possibly waiting to see what the situation would be before they spent that much money.

Whether this is just rumor or has any validity, I don't know. It does sound like a good idea, though. Another level of parking could ease some of the congestion but wouldn't be too overpowering to the neighboring businesses or residences.

Even if every Heights resident that was at one of these establishments walked or rode their bike, there are still enough people from outside the area that make ample parking necessary.

There seems to be a emerging parking issue for "restaurant row" due to Christian's. Last night I noted that D'amicos and Tacos-a-go-go were relatively empty, yet Christian's was packed out...and there wasn't a single parking space in sight.

FYI, I believe there was a show at Fitz last night, which would explain the amount of cars for a Tuesday night.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do something like a 2 story garage where the new lot is.....

I heard the same thing about a year ago when it all started, and that would explain the money they poured into the lot foundation and slab. I was shocked when they painted stripes on it.

• 3 months later...

Yes. It is supposed to be called "Sale Sucre" ("salty sweet" in French). They have been building out the space for a while and are getting pretty close to finishing.

Here is an article:

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/11-11-11-france-on-white-oak-new-french-bistro-sale-sucre-is-going-into-houston-new-restaurant-row/

I have no idea why it has taken so long to build out. But there has been steady progress every week.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What is it with these French cafes? The French bakery on Chimney Rock just north of Richmond Ave. has been building a new building on the site of the old El Arroyo about a block away. They have been working on it for what seems like over a year. I think the soccer stadium took less time to build than this 1-story building.

I'm wondering if the long build out is actually due to the French work ethic.

They are still in "soft opening" so they aren't open for breakfast yet. Looks nice inside. I'm planning to eat there tomorrow, I think they are going to be very receptive to what the neighborhood wants (they are already making changes based off initial comments customers had). I'll post my review friday.

What is it with these French cafes? The French bakery on Chimney Rock just north of Richmond Ave. has been building a new building on the site of the old El Arroyo about a block away. They have been working on it for what seems like over a year. I think the soccer stadium took less time to build than this 1-story building.

I'm wondering if the long build out is actually due to the French work ethic.

The owners of the French Riviera Bakery on Chimney Rock are Chinese.

So i went yesterday. The food is pretty good. I had the king prawn dish which I liked a lot and my wife had the mussels (very good). We also had a sweet crepe for dessert. The crepe was okay, but wasn't nearly as good as melange. They are still in beginning stages, so they were VERY slow to bring the food out. The waitress was very nice, and repeatedly apologized for the delay (and made sure to keep our waters/teas full). The issue is that the owner is the only cook. I'm not sure if this is by design, or if he will bring in more chefs/sous chefs as he finalizes the menu. I think once they get in the swing of things and make a few adjustments this should be a good addition to the hood.

So i went yesterday. The food is pretty good. I had the king prawn dish which I liked a lot and my wife had the mussels (very good). We also had a sweet crepe for dessert. The crepe was okay, but wasn't nearly as good as melange. They are still in beginning stages, so they were VERY slow to bring the food out. The waitress was very nice, and repeatedly apologized for the delay (and made sure to keep our waters/teas full). The issue is that the owner is the only cook. I'm not sure if this is by design, or if he will bring in more chefs/sous chefs as he finalizes the menu. I think once they get in the swing of things and make a few adjustments this should be a good addition to the hood.

Would you say this is a casual spot where I could enjoy French food with 2 well behaved children, or seriously adults only? I'm fine either way but thought I would ask before I either bring my kids in or go on a date night with a bunch of families.

i don't think they had any kids items, but there were a bunch of kids there last night. (who doesn't love Crepes right?) I guess family friendly would be a good term, not kid friendly.

Good to know. A kids' menu isn't a big deal to me. They often get a regular entree and split it anyway. They would eat the crap out of some steak frites if I would pay that much to feed them :lol:

It's terrific. Go. I originally was going to gush - in horrific foodie detail - about the meal. I also was going to gripe about a food blogger there tonight with her giant camera. Let me say this: Go, and if someone flaps around looking for a white Cotes du Rhone, bean them in the head with baguette. Ask Abel for his suggestions from the list. Crepe was tasty. Moules were tasty. Frites were great. Go. Great addition to the neighborhood. Be aware that kitchen service is still catching up. Go...for a casual evening.

• The title was changed to French Cafe On White Oak Dr.
  • The title was changed to Sale Sucre At 2916 White Oak Dr.

Archived