lockmat

0' setback variance being requested for 5-story apts at Smith, Elgin, Louisiana and Rosalie.

2-story garage under 4 floors of apt space.

Trees along Smith, Elgin and Louisiana to be preserved. New trees to be planted on Rosalie.

"Windows facing the street will encourage residents to take "ownership," or responsibility for the sidewalk and the street."

variance request: http://goo.gl/ao5ou see page 70ish

map: http://goo.gl/tnKso

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

lockmat, on Tuesday, October 11, 2011 at 10:00 PM, said:

"Windows facing the street will encourage residents to take "ownership," or responsibility for the sidewalk and the street."

How's that?

If something bad or undesirable happens outside their window, they will probably be pissed and feel entitled to stop it.

Contrast that with "not my problem" if it happens in someone else's neighborhood.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Funny, the Planning Commission has the wrong block marked as the site location on page 70 of the .pdf. They have it marked one block too far to the west. Hope that doesn't make a difference in their decision making.

Typical work by the government.

• 2 months later...

Hopefully that means a faster start?

Given the flurry of apartment activity inside the loop, it wouldn't surprise me. Strike while the iron is hot.

I'll be interested to see what all this new capacity does to rent prices in the next year as these developments come online.

• 2 months later...

http://www.chron.com...ing-3994538.php

"Last year, Crosspoint sold some of the land it owns in Midtown to the Morgan Group, a Houston-based apartment developer planning its second complex in the area.

The 154-unit project, dubbed Pearl Midtown, will be built on the block bounded by Smith, Elgin, Louisiana and Rosalie streets.

Wallace Garcia Wilson Architects designed the building, which will have four stories of apartments above two levels of parking. Construction is expected to start next month."

Edited by DrLan34

I live in Midtown now, every morning I wake up and as I drive down Brazos heading to 45... I think the whole time as I pass full blocks of great bars, restaurants where is my Super Target? Where is DSW Shoe Wharehouse?

This article is insane, those things exist and are being built up in Rice Military / Heights as we speak. Midtown has some issues sure, lack of big box stores is not one of them. I think the larger issue with Midtown is the light rail barrier (which can be breached) and the multitude of homeless charities expanding faster than condos/apts. i.e. they aren't going anywhere. I have no problem with the homeless in Midtown but as mentioned on 100 + threads on this forum, it's not ideal for a growing neighborhood and although I am understanding they need to operate somewhere and you can't have it both ways / move to The Woodlands, there is an excess amount of drifters and all around shady characters East of the tracks.

For the haters who are going to say I live in Midtown and I have never experienced ..... I dare you to walk down Caroline from Elgin to Pierce Elevated on any night and count the times you are hit up for money and see how safe you feel approaching 45. Friend got held up by gunpoint in house condo next to Baldwin Park less than two months ago.