The Best Little Rivalry in Texas -- Circa 1981

Simbha

I was browsing the web doing a bit of research for a client this morning, and I came across this article discussing the differences between Dallas and Houston. It's from Time Magazine and dated November 30, 1981.

Here's the article link: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,925046,00.html

I'm NOT trying to start a flame war here. I thought it was an interesting read comparing the two cities at a time nearly 30 years ago.

Here's the start:

To folks in Dallas, Houston is a loud, boorish, blue-collar place, overwhelmed by nouveau riche high rollers and overrun with Cadillacs and pickup trucks. To folks in Houston, Dallas is a dull, snobbish, white-collar town, dominated by banking and defense interests, and overrun with Rolls-Royces and Mercedes.

And the finish:

To the outside world, such competitiveness might seem a bit petty. After all, Dallas and Houston are both rich and flourishing, with low unemployment rates (under 5%). And the two cities compete less with each other for capital investment and prestige than they do with the nation's other cities. Above all, Dallasites and Houstonians have something of abiding importance in common. As Columnist Ashby says of the two rivals, "Their family name is still Texas."

What do you think, fellow HAIFers? Have things changed in 30 years?

Simbha - with all due respect this will start a flame war in a matter of time, and should be no surprise. Hopefully the moderators will close this thread before it starts.

It is a fun article to read though. Interesting to read something from 1981, and hear of descriptions of up and coming projects that I have thought to be long standing staples in each city. I was a little boy living in Chicago at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Simbha - with all due respect this will start a flame war in a matter of time, and should be no surprise. Hopefully the moderators will close this thread before it starts.

Yeah, I understand this - thus, why I noted that it was not my intention to do so. Even so, the comments thus far have been kind. :)

Archived