Maybe I'm being a bit naive and believing the hype, but Colliers International is putting this site up for sale and pumping it up (as they all do, no?). Maybe it's not as great as they say since they reveal that the property is only 45% leased as of now. Still, it does seem like a pretty good location.

It reminds me of nw corner Weslayan & 59 b/c of the gas station on the corner. Are apartments the destiny of this location as well? Is this location really as unique as they claim it will be and truly the last site of it's kind to become available for years to come? I doubt I guess, but it's a place for us to keep an eye on.

Property addresses:

2600 Southwest Plaza

3930 Kirby Drive

3910 Kirby Drive

Colliers International is pleased to bring to market one of Houston's strategically located commercial properties. This 4.128 acre site is located on the northest corner of Highway 59 South & Kirby Blvd. This location places the property in the heart of the Upper kirby District, one of Houston's premier mixed use development districts. In addition, the high-end residental communities such as River Oaks and West University are located nearby. Other important economic centers located nearby include the Texas Medical Center, Greenway Plaza and the Galleria.

The Upper Kirby District has been around since 1988 and has succeeded in turning a "no name" neighborhood into a vibrant residential and commercial destination in the heart of Houston's inner city, where neighborhoods and businesses work together to enchance the quality of life in the Upper Kirby District. Please visit the area links tab on this web site to learn more about this area of Houston.

Due to the large size of the property, the ability to develop a mixed use project including office, medical, retail and multi-family is unique and another site like this will not be available for many years to come. One of the advantages about this property is the ability to generate cash flow to cover holding costs until a final development plan is in place and construction begins. The property is currently developed with three (3) office buildings known as Corporate Plaza. The project is currently 45% leased.

http://colliersintlhou.visibli.com/share/4SPSFe

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I heard this morning from a customer of One2One Training that they have been given notice to vacate and all of the tenants in these hideous buildings must move out by October.

I don't know how to post a photo,but has anyone heard if these will be torn down, or (ugh) remodeled?

• Like 1

First I've heard about this. Upper Kirby is on a role though. I know many of us here are awaiting the news about the Collection's variance. That building very well could be in line for redevelopment.

• Like 1

I heard this morning from a customer of One2One Training that they have been given notice to vacate and all of the tenants in these hideous buildings must move out by October.

I don't know how to post a photo,but has anyone heard if these will be torn down, or (ugh) remodeled?

If your talking about the buildings on the Northwest corner of that intersection, I disagree - I don't think they are hideous at all. A renovation could make them pretty special IMO

• Like 2

I really enjoy these buildings.  They're different, and no, that's not a bad thing.

• Like 1

Ok. Hideous might have been a little strong. But it's basically the entrance to Upper Kirby, and the buildings under utilize the location, and the parking is tough.

I think the Bank / twin peaks / taco cabana are the real eye soars to the "entrance of Upper Kirby" If those go, and a high / mid rise replaces it, It would look very urban. I hope they renovate these buildings. PLEASE DONT TEAR THESE DOWN for God's sake - let us make improvement and not just redo over and over again.

I really believe that in the next decade, Upper Kirby will have merged with Greenway Plaza, which will have merged with the Galleria. Montrose blvd is the next peice to the puzzle in connecting the skylines...

• Like 2

Well Montrose is going to get a 30 story high rise at Hawthorne and the Chelsea down near the freeway so this gap is being filled in now. Then if Hines does develop the Southmore the museum area will get another hi rise. They just added another building to the cluster that has grown over the years around Richmond and Montrose, and sometime in the next 5-10 years the project on Westheimer and Montrose will pretty much fill it in. Also the 21 story Ziegler Cooper apartment building on West Dallas  between Montrose and Waugh takes the Montrose slice all the way up to Allen parkway. I'd say that's pretty even infill.

Well Montrose is going to get a 30 story high rise at Hawthorne and the Chelsea down near the freeway so this gap is being filled in now. Then if Hines does develop the Southmore the museum area will get another hi rise. They just added another building to the cluster that has grown over the years around Richmond and Montrose, and sometime in the next 5-10 years the project on Westheimer and Montrose will pretty much fill it in. Also the 21 story Ziegler Cooper apartment building on West Dallas  between Montrose and Waugh takes the Montrose slice all the way up to Allen parkway. I'd say that's pretty even infill.

You are right. It amazes me how urban, yet massive Houston is becoming...

• Like 1

That's the thing about Houston, that we take for granted. We're building three major urban centers pretty much inside the loop with Uptown, the Texas Medical Center which has four new projects slated to start construction this year and downtown. Not to mention the Woodlands, the energy corridor and everything in between thats not already got something going up.

If this growth was all going on in downtown it would rival any middle eastern or far eastern cities cranes and construction sites.

Not to mention all of the MFAH, MATCH, The Drawing Institue at Menil, Herman Park , two new rail lines, and the Buffalo bayou master plan all coming on at once is remakable. Its going to take a while for all of this to soak in, but come time for super bowl and visitors won't recognize the place.

• Like 3

That's the thing about Houston, that we take for granted. We're building three major urban centers pretty much inside the loop with Uptown, the Texas Medical Center which has four new projects slated to start construction this year and downtown. Not to mention the Woodlands, the energy corridor and everything in between thats not already got something going up.

If this growth was all going on in downtown it would rival any middle eastern or far eastern cities cranes and construction sites.

Not to mention all of the MFAH, MATCH, The Drawing Institue at Menil, Herman Park , two new rail lines, and the Buffalo bayou master plan all coming on at once is remakable. Its going to take a while for all of this to soak in, but come time for super bowl and visitors won't recognize the place.

You are correct sir. A quote from a book I'm reading (The BLDG BLOG book)

"we've been too hypnotized by Dubai to ask real questions"

A few pages later the author includes in the book and interview done with Peter Cook who was one of the founders of Archigram in the UK:

"Well, I've been to Dubai once, a few months ago. I found it singularly uninteresting, actually. It was incredibly bland- even formalistically."

"Buildings in Dubai tend to be one-liners. They might be interesting one-liners, but I think the really interesting stuff is always the hybrid."

Houston development is way more organic than whats going on in those other places. It's based on real need and while it's not super flashy or on the covers of architecture magazines I think the trend towards urbanism for us will bare fruit later with more prized architecture.

---back on topic----

This is going to be way to valuable of a property to not redevelop it. It doesn't really effectively use the site and isn't a building that can be retrofitted for a new use other than office and the doesn't really add anything to the urban landscape. While there are still plenty of eye sores near the highway in Upper Kirby this would certainly be the start of something nice in that general area.

• Like 2

Those buildings are pretty generic.  I wouldn't mind seeing redevelopment there.  They might figure that with the "Kirby Collection" going up a few blocks north that this might be the time to up their game.  

I'm sure that's the thought for a lot of areas right now. I'm sure that Bed Bath and Beyond, along with others, know it's days are numbered :P

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The building behind the Shell Station at Kirby and Southwest Freeway is being torn down. I also remember there was a gym there and Miyako is closed. I did not see a variance sign but will check it out later today.

It's all been vacant forever. We sure do need a nice hotel on Kirby. It would be close ti Rice Village, River Oaks and the new Levy Park b

• Like 1