Houston Fire Station No. 1 At 410 Bagby St.

ttuchris

http://digital.lib.u...ny&CISOOP4=none

,,,believe it would be the pictures at this link labeled Central Fire Station". Seems there were many locations for the first one.

http://www.houstontx.gov/fire/firestations/station1.html..... 5 different locations mentioned here.

Address for the Aquarium Restaurant is Preston & Bagby.

• 3 weeks later...

I realize you have inquired about 1's house before it became the aquarium but I thought I would show you a photo of 2's old historical 4 bay houst adjacent to the 1928 convention center.

Respectfully

DMac

Here's one from Scott Mellott's Facebook page. He's a retired HFD fireman and unofficial department historian of sorts. He has some great pictures up on Facebook.

30852_1257982940735_1564494415_30532411_53030_n.jpg

post-1976-0-49063700-1318995273_thumb.jp

DannyMac, do you know the exact location of the b/w photo of the 4-bay fire house beside the Convention Center?

Was it where the defunct Music Hall and new center is? (I forgot the new name).

Cool pic, thanks.

Yes it was. And across the str. (Capitol Str. bridge 'Y') was the old (8 flr)Cnty criminal courts/jail Bldg. built in 1897/98. Capitol Y = long leg of Y is Capitol w/top left as Capitol & top right as Rusk.

As time permits you might want to visit old 7's (now a museum) and ask to peruse three photo collection & also the paper trail of records for central & 1's house. The 8 bay photo as shown is central's 4th house. The Bldg @ the corner of Preston (w/2 bays) & San Jac. (w/6 bays) remains standing 2day but is part of the Harris Cnty justice sys. However U can still see the remnants of the bays as they were closed off & covered over. I remember in my youth (10 or 11) tagging along w/my older sister to the 1910 Cnty court house for some business, standing on the second flr & looking out the window towaeds old central1 block away & seening all the apparatus sitting out on front bays. What a site for those really old historical apparatus. The 1 that most impressed me was the tiller truck w/a long overhang behind the tillerman & also the old life safety net.

If you should make it to the museum (old 7's) might you share what you learn here?

Respectfully

DMac

DannyMac, do you know the exact location of the b/w photo of the 4-bay fire house beside the Convention Center?

Was it where the defunct Music Hall and new center is? (I forgot the new name).

Cool pic, thanks.

Yes it was. And across the str. (Capitol Str. bridge 'Y') was the old (8 flr)Cnty criminal courts/jail Bldg. built in 1897/98. Capitol Y = long leg of Y is Capitol w/top left as Capitol & top right as Rusk.

As time permits you might want to visit old 7's (now a museum) and ask to peruse three photo collection & also the paper trail of records for central & 1's house. The 8 bay photo as shown is central's 4th house. The Bldg @ the corner of Preston (w/2 bays) & San Jac. (w/6 bays) remains standing 2day but is part of the Harris Cnty justice sys. However U can still see the remnants of the bays as they were closed off & covered over. I remember in my youth (10 or 11) tagging along w/my older sister to the 1910 Cnty court house for some business, standing on the second flr & looking out the window towaeds old central1 block away & seening all the apparatus sitting out on front bays. What a site for those really old historical apparatus. The 1 that most impressed me was the tiller truck w/a long overhang behind the tillerman & also the old life safety net.

If you should make it to the museum (old 7's) might you share what you learn here?

Respectfully

DMac

That's very intriguing to me. Covered up bays...I definitely want to go there & check that out. Of course, I will share what I learn! Thanks for the info. and personal story.

• 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Houston Fire Station No. 1 At 410 Bagby St.

Archived