Historic Houston Amusement Parks & Places

belmontdrew

Does anyone remember these old amusement places in Houston? what they were called? where there may be pictures of them?

The ski slope at the intersection of 610 West Loop and Southwest Freeway which later became...

The waterslide at the intersection of 610 West Loop and Southwest Freeway which finally became...

Lone Star Amphitheatre at the intersection of 610 West Loop and Southwest Freeway

OR HOW ABOUT...

Malibu go-cart raceway and arcade at the Southwest Freeway

Games-People-Play...I believe it was on Fondren....big 80's hangout with arcade, waterslides and go carts..

The little go cart place off westpark (Southwest Freeway ran in front of it)..the track was lined with red and white tires...

B)

MalibuGrandPrixtoken.jpg

I remember the Malibu Grand Prix off I45 near Little York one of three that were here in town.

Yep too sad to see it go away. So many memories. Hey someone mentioned the "Globe" store i went to one in 95'is are they still around?

Which Globe store did you go to? When I lived in Houston back in the early 1960s, I remember going to a Globe on Woodridge, which ran alongside to then Gulfgate Shopping City.

Does anyone know where the old S. Main Drive-In was? It apparently had a small kiddie park underneath the screen. My brother and I have been discussing where it was located. McLendon Tri-Plex is all I remember. Good memories guys!

On the old Bob Bailey site there are photos of the South Main Amusement Park. I'm guessing it was adjacent to the South Main drive-in because you can see an outdoor theater marquee in the background of some of the shots.

On the old Bob Bailey site there are photos of the South Main Amusement Park. I'm guessing it was adjacent to the South Main drive-in because you can see an outdoor theater marquee in the background of some of the shots.

DriveIns.Com has a photo of the South Main Drive-In. All it says is that it was located on

Old Fort Bend Road.

I think that was Billy Wade. I could be wrong. I used to go there very often. He was one of my favorites.

Actually Billy Wade was the best at Meyer Speedway.Another Billy, Billy Griswold was pretty much unbeatable at Playland. The car owner was Johnny Reiff I worked for Johnny & often drove the car when the races were moved to Meyer after Blackie Lothringer's crash which sent him into the spectator stands at Playland.

I think that was Billy Wade. I could be wrong. I used to go there very often. He was one of my favorites.

Actually Billy Wade was unbeatable at Meyer Speedway which was a 1/2 mile track. Another Billy, Billy Griswold was the man to beat at Playland Park. The car owner was Johnny Reiff, who I worked for and later drove his car when Griswold retired.Playland was a 1/8th mile track. The big names at Meyer Speedway other than Wade were M.J.Burton, Bill Blumerich, Charles Ray Schild, Griswold,Jimmy McKinny,& Ronnie Chumley & Joe Plowman. Add H.B.Bailey to the list

Edited by sprintcar

Actually Billy Wade was unbeatable at Meyer Speedway which was a 1/2 mile track. Another Billy, Billy Griswold was the man to beat at Playland Park. The car owner was Johnny Reiff, who I worked for and later drove his car when Griswold retired.Playland was a 1/8th mile track. The big names at Meyer Speedway other than Wade were M.J.Burton, Bill Blumerich, Charles Ray Schild, Griswold,Jimmy McKinny,& Ronnie Chumley & Joe Plowman. Add H.B.Bailey to the list

Wecome, sprintcar! From your comments, it's good to see there is someone on this forum that appears to be almost as old as I am...maybe older. From previous posts of mine, you can see that I went to many races at Playland and then to Meyer, when it opened. I always thought Playland was a 1/4 mile track, but you should know better than I. Did you read in a previous post of mine that I was very close to Blackie Lothringer's car when it came flying over the fence/wall that night? Were you there that night? Thanks for posting more names of the drivers of that era. I remember them. One you left out was Norm Pierce. He and Billy Wade had many close races to the finish line at Playland. A close friend of mine, Ben Bishop, raced at Meyer when it first opened. He was a rookie and only raced for a year or two. He ran in a '57 Chevy. Know him? Did you ever race at the old Arrowhead Park Speedway? I saw A. J. Foyt race there in midgets a few times when he was just starting out.

Yeah, 57 bird you are right. Norman was a hard charging competitor.Unfortunantally we lost Norman in 2005.Yes I did go to Arrowhead, of course I was just a kid,but I would tag along behind Johnny Reiff, the car owner for Billy Griswold, I didn't drive anything there 'cuz I was way too young.Norman raced there alot,

as did Billy Wade,Doc Cossey, Buddy Rackley,A.JFoyt, Quinten Steinman,Don Burton, Cecil Elliot, Tubby Gonzales,&Billy Griswold. Griswold, Doc Cossy,Don Burton,Cecil Elliot, & Johnny Reiff,& Norman Peirce & of course Billy Wade are all gone now, I miss them all,but I owe them all alot. Those guy's taught me alot, not only mechanical & driving stuff, but kept me away from most bad things life can tempt you with while growing up.I still see Norman Peirce jr. a lot, he's pretty much like his dad, but he was never very interested in driving.

Edited by sprintcar

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
A friend of mine mentioned a kiddie place called Wee Wild West. I went there as a kid (60's) but have no idea where it was. Anybody remember that one?

I went there as a child also for b'day parties. It was located near Yorktown and Westheimer I think. Maybe where they later in the 60s build Western National Bank. It's another bank now.

• 3 weeks later...

Peppermint Park I remember was where the beltway and 59 south meet now....it had some nice rides in it but it seemed like half the train tracks in there never worked...

I remember Nathan's Phimsical Whymsical in Sharpstown Mall....it had a shadow room, a mirror maze, a big jumping castle...

Westwood Mall had extensive renovations in 1991 or so...it had a 2-story merry-go-round.

Mountain Park...I never figured out its purpose...I went there once...

wasn't there 2 malibus in the SW Houston area?

my father remembered playland park but he grew up in the time where he could go only on certain days...

• 1 month later...
The crash you are refering to happened in '59. One of the 3 people killed was one of the owners of Playland and unfortunately, he was the one owner who was passoinate about the park. This basicaly signaled the beginning of the end of the park since his siblings allowed it to fall into neglect and disrepair.

I found this out when I went to the library down town to research Playland. I found several news articles but zero photographs. Where can one find more pictures of Playland?

That's correct. Blackie went into the stands and killed several people. It effectively shut the place down.

But I thought it was family, like children or grandchildren, of the owner who were killed. Are you sure it was the owner?

We used to go to the races in Channel View, Meyerland, and Playland Park and my favorite driver was Buddy Rackley. I think he ran the #8 on his midget. It was the most exciting thing in the world to a 6 year old kid. Gawd, I love the smell of burned fuel and castor oil to this day. :D

I distinctly remember A. J. Foyt, Jr. (rememer, A.J. Sr. was "Tony" Foyt, a force to be reckoned with!) because as a teenage kid and driver he always sported natty, clean uniforms amidst all the grease and gunk.

Did a little searching and found this picture of Hanna Barberra land in Spring.

hannabarberalandhouston.jpg

the only memories i had if i remember correctly when you were on the paddle boats there was like a rainbow bridge you went under, a ferris wheel ...and blue ice cream? i rmember my folkes bought me this souvenier there it was a smurf train that you wound up and went in circles. anyone find more pics of hanna barbera land?

This is not really on topic, but what about the Blimp Hangar out on I-45. I remember when we used to drive to Ftl Worth to seem my Grandparents we would pass by the Hangar and sometimes the blimp was out there. I have no clue where this was or what is there now.

and i remember that place i used to pass by it all the time when i was little when i had to go to my granma's house ,if you know where the old sam montgomery oldsmobile dealership used to be and on the corner of rankin road where a RV dealer now stands,is where she used to stay. Now heres a question that ive always wanted answers to, who remembers that rocket man on the old sam montgomery dealership roof? if you do anyone know its where abouts? the last time ive seen it was when they used it for display during the rockets first championship. sorry if jumped off topic for a minute :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Sprintcar, I just ran across some old posts. I also knew Johnny, Billy and others. Since you knew Johnny and Billy, You must have known Tony Medina (great guy to have on your side in a fight). What ever became of Tony? He used to have a tire store on Washington Ave. I lost track of a lot of these guys after racing. I think Jimmy (Griswold) still has the transmission shop. Man, this board brings back memories!

Jakdad

• 3 weeks later...

Playland Park's address was 9200 South Main St. My family lived inside the gates from 1942 until 1952.

My Dad was a partner in Busch-Laube Concessions who had the food stands.

Dad and Mother owned the mug joint ( photo machine) My brother and I had a pony ride. David and I bought our ponies and tack from the guy who owned the pony ride on South Main a couple of blocks north of the Shamrock.

There was a downtown amusement park that was called Playmore.

I also remember Playland Stadium and the accident. Sam Slusky (one of the owners of Playland) was killed in that one. I had been in the stadium talking to Mr. Slusky just a few minutes before.

How about Meyerland Speedway?

• 4 weeks later...
It's always funny how the papers back then would put the person's name AND address in the article--could you imagine that now? It'd probably land a lawsuit!

Yep - we're all much too afraid of the consequences these days to go around posting our names and addresses all over the place. :(

I may have some pics my dad took in the early 80's when he took my kids to Hanna Barbera. I'll look this week & post them this weekend if I do.

I remember Kiddie Wonderland, but not where it was. Also remember Peppermint Park, but not where it was either. If anyone remembers, would like to know.

Peppermint Park was at the Gulfgate Mall in the 60's. It moved to near W Bellfort and US-50 South in the 70's. I think the building is still there. It was a body shop most recently. I may have photo of the one near Gulfgate.

• 4 weeks later...

I remembert Gateway, both the pool and the skating rink. Had birthday party room at the rink, did the bunny hop and

the hokey pokey there.

about the "Bubble" that has indeed been a mystery; I was afraid of it and thus never went down it -- and have not

ever been able to fiigure out how it was that one could breathe inside it.

--> so if anyone knows how the bubble worked, please reply although maybe some things should just be left

as a mystery,

There was also a big tower like thing called, I think, the bobber, where you could jump on it and it would take you

down to the water and back up.

maybe 18 years ago I drove by where gateway was and walked to where the pool was - it was all closed down

but the pool was stiill there - i saw some metal objects floating in the shallow end, perhaps it was remnants of the

bubble or the bopper.

other things remembered --

the monoriail test track near smain and ost

kiddeworld on smain of course

fallout shelter store on smain near ost

playland park - i wasnt allowed to go but snuck there one time - remember a carny area like where

they guessed your weight

(maybe it was the race accident mentioned in other posts that was cause of parents not letting me go;

I always thought it was not wanting me to be around carnival folks)

saturday matinees at bellarire theater - stella link and bellaire - cartoon, serial, western and feature

kitirik - went to the show once also -- guess they wanted to get adult viewers also with the black tights and high heels :)

remember captain bob show also, as well as romper room - went to that once - i think channel 11 had studios

in prudential building

what about the weather eye - i'll have to see some other section of the web site for that -- anyone remember

the song in their ad about it ? (I know, but its a good quiz item)

Georg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every year, in the 50's & early 60's, Playland Park had "back to School" party. Houston Press had 1 coupon each day during summer, & was good for 1 free ride. We would collect coupons from anyone that would give to us, ride bus from Near North Side to Playland, & ride Roller Coaster 30 or 40 times. Used to see the Houston Wrestlers of Paul Bosch at the party every year.

There was also a Huge public swimming pool near there. Gateway Swim? Had a big bubble at bottom of deep end you could swim down to and actually breathe inside the bubble.... can't quite remember how that worked... hummmmm

I'm sorta thinking it was based on several posts about it here and other places. There's a thread about it on the Houston Area Postcard club site.

Someone said it was located at S. Main & Murworth - which would be inside the loop (currently).

Found a small news item about it on Historic Houston: "July 1951: A gang riot erupts near Playland Park and 36 youths are jailed."

For some reason I'm thinking of a racetrack that was further south on the Alt 90 section much closer to Stafford/Sugarland.

Since Astroworld is gone and it sounds like there are no more amusement park in Houston, does that leave Kemah with the only one?

Anybody know when Playland Park opened? Believe it or not, I've got through every thread on HAIF and while I found lots of interesting stories, I never once saw anyone say when it opened. The closest was a post where someone said he lived on the site from 1942 to 1952. Is that when it opened? 1942?

Anybody know when Playland Park opened? Believe it or not, I've got through every thread on HAIF and while I found lots of interesting stories, I never once saw anyone say when it opened. The closest was a post where someone said he lived on the site from 1942 to 1952. Is that when it opened? 1942?

I still get Playland and Peppermint Park confused.