Historic Houston Amusement Parks & Places

belmontdrew

I think Texas Tornado has some kind of historic value to it, now that I think on it. Here's a little article on it:

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/coast.../late_80s.shtml

And I was wrong. According to this it isn't at AstroWorld any more. I think I will cry.

"The Thriller, owned by Oscar Bruch & Sohn, opened in 1986 on the German fair circuit. [...]It was purchased by Six Flags, moved to Astroworld in 1998 and renamed the Texas Tornado (originally called Taz's Texas Tornado, but the Taz was dropped for the 1999 season). After the 2002 season the Texas Tornado was dismantled and sent to Six Flags Marine World (Vallejo, CA) where opened for the 2003 under the name Zonga."

I have to admit that I haven't been to Astroworld in years. But the talk about the Texas Cyclone reminded me of the first "real" roller coaster there, Dexter Freebish's Electrical Roller Ride -- which later became Excalibur I think. When that opened, I was probably about 12, so 1972, and a friend and I spent practically our whole day riding that ride, running around, getting back in line and riding again.

I think your memory may be confused...you are probably thinking about the Texas Cyclone not the Tornado.  Its another wind storm so similar  :P

Sorry, Kirzania, I was replying to Ashikaga. I know Taz wasn't there in 1978 when he went. I was telling him HIS memory was wrong. BTW, Everytime I went to Astroworld when Taz was there it was always closed for repairs.

On another note, I remember as a kid you could ride the Cyclone over and over from about 11 until closing at midnight. We used to keep tabs on who had ridden it the most times. I have no clue what our record was but know I rode it 17 times one night.

Talking about the Dexter Frebish/Excalibur, remember there was that spot in the bottom turn where there was "blood" on the support pole. :o

I think this is Playland Park

11222.jpg

I've learned not to get Playland Park confused with Peppermint Park, which was near Gulfgate Shopping Center. I remember going to the later back then (1962-64). And I think that we also went to the former.

Maybe someone out there can jog my more-than-40-year-old-memory. I remember us going to an amusement park closer to downtown than Peppermint Park was. From that park, I thought that I could see the top of the Prudential Building; the neon logo of its "rock." Is it possible that could have been Playland Park? Was that park within "eyeshot" of the top of the Prudential Building?

Chet Cuccia

I've learned not to get Playland Park confused with Peppermint Park, which was near Gulfgate Shopping Center.  I remember going to the later back then (1962-64).  And I think that we also went to the former.

Maybe someone out there can jog my more-than-40-year-old-memory.  I remember us going to an amusement park closer to downtown than Peppermint Park was.  From that park, I thought that I could see the top of the Prudential Building; the neon logo of its "rock."  Is it possible that could have been Playland Park?  Was that park within "eyeshot" of the top of the Prudential Building?

Chet Cuccia

Maybe you are thinking of Hermann Park? They have a kids train and the zoo is there. you probably could have seen the Prudential building from there back then.

Maybe you are thinking of Hermann Park?  They have a kids train and the zoo is there.  you probably could have seen the Prudential building from there back then.

I don't know. Like I said, I moved away from there back in 1964. I thought that one evening we went to an amusement park and from the ground I looked up and saw that neon logo "rock" of the top of the Prudential. My memory about my time in Houston has been accurate about 75 percent of the time. Maybe this memory is part of the remaining 25 percent.

Chet Cuccia

I remember the kiddie place on south Main. Had pony rides and just down the street on the corner of Main and Breaswood was a Putt Putt place with a small arcade. Also the Perpermit Parks that dotted the Houston scene. I still pass one on the SW Freeway, its a body shop now, but they kept the red/white striped look of the building. Fame City is still there.

What a great memory! I am 52 years old and grew up in Bellaire & Sharpstown until I was 9. Mom & Dad used to take me to ride those ponies at OST & Main. One of my early childhood fond memories.

Other memories in Houston as a child . . .

* Seeing Snow White at the movie theatre in the old shopping center on the north side of Bellaire Blvd. just east of the train tracks on the east end of Bellaire.

* Going to see Kitirik at Channel 13 and Captain Bob on Channel 2 at their old studios on Post Oak Rd.

* The deep drainage ditches along Avenue A (now Newcastle) and Post Oak Rd. in Bellaire.

* Movies at the Trail Drive In, and the new Sharpstown Drive In.

* Bissonnet was still called Old Richmond Road from the curve at about Edloe, down through Sharpstown.

* A big discount store on Hillcroft in Sharpstown called "Globe".

* That jingle . . ."Summer winter spring or fall, stroll in the air conditioned mall, with one stop to shop for all, at Sharpstown Center."

* The old Sears on South Main just south of Downtown

* U-Tote-M was a fairly large chain of convenience stores in those days. Their radio jingle? "Just in case anyone should ask you, you tell 'em U-Tote-M." Their sign incorporated a totem pole.

Probably a lot more stored in this old brain here!

What a great memory! I am 52 years old and grew up in Bellaire & Sharpstown until I was 9. Mom & Dad used to take me to ride those ponies at OST & Main. One of my early childhood fond memories.

*  Seeing Snow White at the movie theatre in the old shopping center on the north side of Bellaire Blvd. just east of the train tracks on the east end of Bellaire.

*  Going to see Kitirik at Channel 13 and Captain Bob on Channel 2 at their old studios on Post Oak Rd.

* The deep drainage ditches along Avenue A (now Newcastle) and Post Oak Rd. in Bellaire.

*  Movies at the Trail Drive In, and the new Sharpstown Drive In.

*  Bissonnet was still called Old Richmond Road from the curve at about Edloe, down through Sharpstown.

* That jingle . . ."Summer winter spring or fall, stroll in the air conditioned mall, with one stop to shop for all, at Sharpstown Center."

*  The old Sears on South Main just south of Downtown

*  U-Tote-M was a fairly large chain of convenience stores in those days. Their radio jingle? "Just in case anyone should ask you, you tell 'em U-Tote-M." Their sign incorporated a totem pole.

Hey, I'm 47! I lived in Houston from 1962-64. There's a lot of stuff that I can remember. The people on this forum are very helpful. They have been able to verify if something that I think that I remember is right or wrong.

I lived on # 8 West Court Drive. It was a white house on the corner of that street and Galveston Road just down from where Park Place Boulevard dead ends into Galveston Road. Since you were in Houston back when I was there, is there anything that you personally would remember about the area where I lived?

Chet Cuccia

11222.jpg

Yes, that is definately Playland Park!

The main entrance was to the left of that photo. As you entered, the first ride on the left was the booth for the train which ran along side the roller coaster (behind it in the photo). Just beyond that is where Murworth is now. The round ride in the photo is the Tilt-a-Whirl.

Fame City was the best kid's place ever.  I don't even remember when it closed down or what it became.  In the 80s, it was awesome.  It's a shame that kids today don't get to experience that kind of business creativity that was around in the 80s.

I remember that place... my cousin had every birthday there for a while. Personally, I could take it or leave it. It was like an amusement park inside a warehouse. There were the bumper cars on the left, some slides it seems in the middle, a big He-Man virtual reality type thing in the middle where you went through these rooms and shot laser guns (ok, that was kind of cool), a putt-putt golf course, some of those bb guns where you try to shoot away the red circle on the target (impossible), a big video arcade on the right, and it seems like a big skating rink in the back. I think all of that stuff was at Fame City - I might be mixing and matching from other places. Can't believe I remember all that.

This one is more recent - anyone ever go to Physical Whimsical, at 249 and 1960, in the Mervyn's shopping center?

What about Games People Play? There were like three water slides, and I remember one time one of them was closed down. I heard that some kid had cut his back going over one of the seams between the sections of the slide, and from that day on I was terrified to ride down any water slide, anywhere.

Oh, last but not least... did anyone ever go out to the Oil Ranch? I think it was off of 290, near either Waller or Hempstead. There was a u-pick-em pumpkin patch, paddleboats, cows you could milk, and a big barn full of hay with rope swings and stuff. You felt like the Bobbsey Twins after it was all over. Very cool.

*  Seeing Snow White at the movie theatre in the old shopping center on the north side of Bellaire Blvd. just east of the train tracks on the east end of Bellaire.

*  Going to see Kitirik at Channel 13 and Captain Bob on Channel 2 at their old studios on Post Oak Rd.

*  Movies at the Trail Drive In, and the new Sharpstown Drive In.

*  Bissonnet was still called Old Richmond Road from the curve at about Edloe, down through Sharpstown.

*  The old Sears on South Main just south of Downtown

*  U-Tote-M was a fairly large chain of convenience stores in those days. Their radio jingle? "Just in case anyone should ask you, you tell 'em U-Tote-M." Their sign incorporated a totem pole.

I remember going to the grand opening of the "Trail Drive Inn Theater" & Gene Autry was there. Since he was a 3rd cousin to my Dad, I was anxious to meet "my hero" which was quite impressive for a 10 yr old. We talked briefly with Gene as he was leaving the theater & it was obvious that he wasn't interested in meeting us & didn't remember my Dad. So much for "hero worship." I remember though that someone asked him why he didn't bring his horse, "Champion" & his reply was that Champ was currently dating one of Bing Crosby's mares & wasn't interested in going along on the trip to Houston. Personally, I didn't think that Gene was either!

Okay, here's one for you oldtimers. My dad tells me about a Jersey cattle farm and dairy on the location of present day Jersey Village. You went there and saw them milking cows, and then you could eat ice cream made from the cows that they had just milked. If anyone remembers or can tell me more about this, I'll be impressed.

I remember that place... my cousin had every birthday there for a while.  Personally, I could take it or leave it.  It was like an amusement park inside a warehouse.  There were the bumper cars on the left, some slides it seems in the middle, a big He-Man virtual reality type thing in the middle where you went through these rooms and shot laser guns (ok, that was kind of cool), a putt-putt golf course, some of those bb guns where you try to shoot away the red circle on the target (impossible), a big video arcade on the right, and it seems like a big skating rink in the back.  I think all of that stuff was at Fame City - I might be mixing and matching from other places.  Can't believe I remember all that.

This one is more recent - anyone ever go to Physical Whimsical, at 249 and 1960, in the Mervyn's shopping center?

What about Games People Play?  There were like three water slides, and I remember one time one of them was closed down.  I heard that some kid had cut his back going over one of the seams between the sections of the slide, and from that day on I was terrified to ride down any water slide, anywhere.

Oh, last but not least... did anyone ever go out to the Oil Ranch?  I think it was off of 290, near either Waller or Hempstead.  There was a u-pick-em pumpkin patch, paddleboats, cows you could milk, and a big barn full of hay with rope swings and stuff.  You felt like the Bobbsey Twins after it was all over.  Very cool.

I remember "Games People Play". I lived in Ponderosa Forest from 75-82 and then off of Champion Forest Drive from 82-86. I had a few birthday parties at GPP. I remember the water slides. They had a "saw mill" theme to them. I remember them being really dirty and I think I remember hearing something about that kid. One of the slides had a huge saw blade hanging over the slide and I remember older teenagers telling us kids that if we rode the slide on Halloween, the blade would come down and cut us!! I don