Historic Houston Amusement Parks & Places

belmontdrew

I found these pictures of Malibu as it looks today...or not long ago. I still have my license for the go-karts someplace. I also think I still have some tokens for the video games. I used to go all the time for their putt-putt golf, but always perfered Speedy's for go-karts. I don't think that plae is still open, but it rocked. The track was built into an old pool.

http://www.abandonedbutnotforgotten.com/ab..._in_houston.htm

Hey guys, this is my first post, and I've got a question for you all. Where was the Malibu GP located on 59? I've heard Westpark, but the only place where the MGP could have been is a large empty parcel on the south side feeder of 59, right at the Westpark Tollway ramps. Is this where the MGP could have been?

Funny about the link above. The web site says this was where the murders took place, but in reality the location is the one on 610 near 290. That explains why the car remains look so fresh. I actually found the guys who took those pics, and on their web site they show a Google Maps sat overhead of the property. I did the same for the 610 location, and they match.

I've been looking for the MGP off 59 for a while, and I will be grateful to anyone who can tell me exactly where it was.

• 1 month later...
What a great memory! I am 52 years old and grew up in Bellaire & Sharpstown until I was 9. Mom & Dad used to take me to ride those ponies at OST & Main. One of my early childhood fond memories.

Other memories in Houston as a child . . .

* Seeing Snow White at the movie theatre in the old shopping center on the north side of Bellaire Blvd. just east of the train tracks on the east end of Bellaire.

* Going to see Kitirik at Channel 13 and Captain Bob on Channel 2 at their old studios on Post Oak Rd.

* The deep drainage ditches along Avenue A (now Newcastle) and Post Oak Rd. in Bellaire.

* Movies at the Trail Drive In, and the new Sharpstown Drive In.

* Bissonnet was still called Old Richmond Road from the curve at about Edloe, down through Sharpstown.

* A big discount store on Hillcroft in Sharpstown called "Globe".

* That jingle . . ."Summer winter spring or fall, stroll in the air conditioned mall, with one stop to shop for all, at Sharpstown Center."

* The old Sears on South Main just south of Downtown

* U-Tote-M was a fairly large chain of convenience stores in those days. Their radio jingle? "Just in case anyone should ask you, you tell 'em U-Tote-M." Their sign incorporated a totem pole.

Probably a lot more stored in this old brain here!

Hello, I was reading this forum and came across your post about Bellaire.

I grew up on the 4500 block of Mimosa Dr Between Ave B and newcastle and I always wondered what the area there was like. I never knew there were drainage ditches along newcastle and also post oak.

I do know there is a drainage tunnel now along the west side of newcastle with concrete openings for water to enter, this flows south to the bayou that is north of beechnut. The same type of tunnel is under the 610 frontage road on the east side of 610. I lived in the same house since I came home from the hospital until I was 18 and moved to Phoenix. My mother still lives in the house and I am trying to find information on who the builder was for the houses in that area. From the digging I did on some of the county websites I found it was built in 1950 and it was in a part of bellaire called "Post Oak terrace section II" I am also curious about the houses in the area east of newcastle between Bellaire Blvd and Beechnut, I think this area is called southdale and I remember some of the houses were very small almost like a shotgun shack. I would sure like to hear about your memories from that area.

Thanks,

Chris McGrail

Yep. I used to hang out at Playland in the early 60's. I was in high school. I particularly remember the "haunted" house. You would walk through it-pretty primitive actually- and end up in a room with a moving floor that went in a circle. I remember seeing a rather wild young girl who would make out with all the guys while going arouind in circles.

Hi. I don't know where the "haunted" house that you are talking about was located but it was not at Playland on South Main. There was a "fun in the dark" there, right next to our house, but it was a ride in a dark building. The cars looked like scooter cars and ran on a rail. Spooky things would light up and scare you. I would be interested in knowing where the "haunted" house you are talking about was located. Sparky

Hi. I don't know where the "haunted" house that you are talking about was located but it was not at Playland on South Main. There was a "fun in the dark" there, right next to our house, but it was a ride in a dark building. The cars looked like scooter cars and ran on a rail. Spooky things would light up and scare you. I would be interested in knowing where the "haunted" house you are talking about was located. Sparky

P.S: There was a "Glass" house on the other side of our house that had dark tunnels in the back of the glass part. You could walk around in the glass part and then you could walk thru the dark tunnels and you would come out in the glass part again. Sparky

Here you go Sparky

Mark,

The opening title to this says Playland Park 1952. Sure looks like a '55 Olds with the girl in it at the start of the video. That was back when cars had character, and I knew all the makes and models. Most look the same now.

TBird now that you point it out that does look like a 1955 Oldsmobile Super 88 Convertible, It's confusing me now, if you also notice, in the background there is no Roller Coaster wasn't it built by 1955? Not positive on that. I know it was there in '58 for sure. Maybe that race is the 1954 Fall race. The ran the Gold Cup Classic in like September or October. I missed that parade car, good catch. Sparky can you shed any light on when the Roller Coaster went up?

But you are correct, they all (cars) look the same now, however I have my deposit down on the new Camaro, Donny Buckalew was allotted two of them on the first release, he's getting one and I'm getting the other one, I just can't wait. 2010 Camaro can't get here quick enough.

TBird now that you point it out that does look like a 1955 Oldsmobile Super 88 Convertible, It's confusing me now, if you also notice, in the background there is no Roller Coaster wasn't it built by 1955? Not positive on that. I know it was there in '58 for sure. Maybe that race is the 1954 Fall race. The ran the Gold Cup Classic in like September or October. I missed that parade car, good catch. Sparky can you shed any light on when the Roller Coaster went up?

But you are correct, they all (cars) look the same now, however I have my deposit down on the new Camaro, Donny Buckalew was allotted two of them on the first release, he's getting one and I'm getting the other one, I just can't wait. 2010 Camaro can't get here quick enough.

The video is being shot from the north stands looking south. the roller coaster went behind the north stands, so it wouldn't show in the direction being shot. I know the roller coaster was there in the early 50's, when I first rode it. I'm not sure, but I think it was built back in the early to mid 40's before the track was built.

It wasn't really a haunted house, just a series of rooms you walked through. I definitely remember that moving floor. I don't know where else it might have been-Playland was the only amusement park we went to Maybe it was a Glass house. Was that located in Playland?

Like I said, we did have a glass house with a walk around dark tunnel in the back. But no rotating floor at all. I hope somebody out there can tell us where it was. Thanks for the videos. I played them over and over. This is a step back into my childhood. I can show these to my children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. Thank you all so much. Sparky

Like I said, we did have a glass house with a walk around dark tunnel in the back. But no rotating floor at all. I hope somebody out there can tell us where it was. Thanks for the videos. I played them over and over. This is a step back into my childhood. I can show these to my children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. Thank you all so much. Sparky

Here's another for you Sparky, enjoy

Does anyone know if we ever had a real good Fun House or House of Mirrors?

We see many old film clips and postcards of past cool things like these but I neve rheard if Houston had any permanent ones at these popular Amusement places.

House of Mirrors was always a fav because you would get lost and think you might never get out! You can still see some of the old time Fun Houses in silent films today! Clara Bow's "It" has great scenes of West Coast Pier Amusement Park's, but what about Houston??? :)

The video is being shot from the north stands looking south. the roller coaster went behind the north stands, so it wouldn't show in the direction being shot. I know the roller coaster was there in the early 50's, when I first rode it. I'm not sure, but I think it was built back in the early to mid 40's before the track was built.

The coaster was the keystone of Playland. It was always there at the park. The track came later. You could walk thru my Dad's Beer Garden at the end of the park and walk into the front gates of the racetrack right up to the front stand where Sam was killed. I don't know if anybody remembers that the coaster was once blown over by a hurricane. It landed in the park causing a lot of damage. We watched the first hill going down from my bedroom window. It mashed the snow-cone, pop-corn stand that I worked in, and some of the rides. Took a while to clean it up and rebuild. When we moved to Playland we lived in a trailer where the racetrack would be built. Then we moved into our house bordered by the fun-in-the-dark on one side and the glass house on the other. It backed up to the mug-joint my mother ran, the mit-camp, and the cat-game. The mug-joint was the get-em-while-you-wait photo joint, the mit-camp was the gypsy

fortune telling booth and the cat game was where you tried to knock three stacked cats off a table with three baseballs. I don't remember there ever being a dirt track at Playland. There might have been one before we moved to the park but I saw no signs of it anywhere. We moved to Playland when it first opened in the early 40's and my Mom worked there till the park closed. Good memories. Sparky

The coaster was the keystone of Playland. It was always there at the park. The track came later. You could walk thru my Dad's Beer Garden at the end of the park and walk into the front gates of the racetrack right up to the front stand where Sam was killed. I don't know if anybody remembers that the coaster was once blown over by a hurricane. It landed in the park causing a lot of damage. We watched the first hill going down from my bedroom window. It mashed the snow-cone, pop-corn stand that I worked in, and some of the rides. Took a while to clean it up and rebuild. When we moved to Playland we lived in a trailer where the racetrack would be built. Then we moved into our house bordered by the fun-in-the-dark on one side and the glass house on the other. It backed up to the mug-joint my mother ran, the mit-camp, and the cat-game. The mug-joint was the get-em-while-you-wait photo joint, the mit-camp was the gypsy

fortune telling booth and the cat game was where you tried to knock three stacked cats off a table with three baseballs. I don't remember there ever being a dirt track at Playland. There might have been one before we moved to the park but I saw no signs of it anywhere. We moved to Playland when it first opened in the early 40's and my Mom worked there till the park closed. Good memories. Sparky

Do you recall what hurricane did this? I think Playland Park was gone by the time Hurricane Carla 1961 came through. Right ? :)-_-

The park was definitely gone by Carla, because Colt 45 Stadium had broke ground. Not sure how much total damage Audrey did, but sparky said the coaster fell over causing a lot of damage, not sure to the extent of destroyed. I am sure Sparky could come up with a year.

Audrey_before_landfall.gif

Audrey @ landfall

Not sure what other it could be, unless it was the Cat 1 that hit Houston in 1943.

Edited by Mark F. Barnes

The park was definitely gone by Carla, because Colt 45 Stadium had broke ground. Not sure how much total damage Audrey did, but sparky said the coaster fell over causing a lot of damage, not sure to the extent of destroyed. I am sure Sparky could come up with a year.

Audrey_before_landfall.gif

Audrey @ landfall

Not sure what other it could be, unless it was the Cat 1 that hit Houston in 1943.

It was the first hump that was blown over so it only damaged things in the front part of the park. I married and moved away in 1952 so I know it was well before that year. I believe it was in the early 40's. Maybe the Houston Library can help us. I will try to get some information from them. Sparky

It was the first hump that was blown over so it only damaged things in the front part of the park. I married and moved away in 1952 so I know it was well before that year. I believe it was in the early 40's. Maybe the Houston Library can help us. I will try to get some information from them. Sparky

This is a brief history of the roller coaster that I found with a picture of it for sale on ebay...

"This rare photo of the ROCKET (aka: Cyclone) roller coaster at PLAYLAND PARK in Houston, Texas was taken in 1943. This roller coaster was built in 1941 and was the last roller coaster designed by famed coaster designer John Miller, who died in Houston shortly after he completed this coaster. The coaster was dismantled in 1967 where it has been nearly forgotten by city historians."

This must be the hurricane that Sparky remembered...

HURRICANE (Cat. 1* - July 27th landfall)

This hurricane moved inland over Bolivar Peninsula near Galveston Bay. Houston had a wind gust to 132 mph, Texas City recorded a gust of 104 mph, and Beaumont recorded 17.76" of rain. Nineteen persons died. Damage totaled $17 million.

* - Hurrtrak data indicated a Category 1 status; NHC/TPC documents had peak at a Category 2.

Only thing T-Bird, it had to be gone before 67, the Dome was open by then, And I am pretty sure it was dismantled before the ground breaking on Colt 45 stadium, and the broke ground there in'61. Here's an aerial photo of the Domw in '65, and I think that's just about the correct direction to be looking right at the coaster if it were still there. Maybe I am turned around.

odome.jpg

It could possibly be just left of the photo but I don't remember it being there opening day in April of '65

This is a brief history of the roller coaster that I found with a picture of it for sale on ebay...

"This rare photo of the ROCKET (aka: Cyclone) roller coaster at PLAYLAND PARK in Houston, Texas was taken in 1943. This roller coaster was built in 1941 and was the last roller coaster designed by famed coaster designer John Miller, who died in Houston shortly after he completed this coaster. The coaster was dismantled in 1967 where it has been nearly forgotten by city historians."

Surely there must be a photo/renderings of this now mysterious and almost forgotten coaster? My imagination pictures a 1930's Flash Gordon futureistic style OR a streamliner train appearance? It would seem that if people with enough interest could raise $ and recreate that good old coaster?

Photos of this coaster anyone out there! :(

A grand sight to see!

Photo even shows date on bottom left. 1967 is the date of its demise, am I to assume that as a 7 year old kid I could have seen it in person in 1967? but that would contradict when Sparky said it was partly destroyed after that storm. Wait, maybe the photo is just giving duration of Playland as a whole. I is confused now. Guess it doesnt matter anyway its all gone.

It frustrates me to think that the coaster (carts) are under tons of rust in the city dump. Grrrrrr. :angry: There's tear in my beer.

WHoever is selling these prints is full of it.

houstonrolllercoastermay1943ur7.jpg

Go back and look at post #143

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...st&p=102266

This photo came from the Smithsonian, Dated May 1943. Looks like the same photo they are running prints off of and sell on eBay. Something is fishy. I am not buying it's 1967, I went to the Dome too many times back then and it would stick out. It was down before Colt 45 Stadium went in, I am almost positive. Playland was where Murworth intersects Main st. You couldn't miss it.

WHoever is selling these prints is full of it.

houstonrolllercoastermay1943ur7.jpg

Go back and look at post #143

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...st&p=102266

This photo came from the Smithsonian, Dated May 1943. Looks like the same photo they are running prints off of and sell on eBay. Something is fishy. I am not buying it's 1967, I went to the Dome too many times back then and it would stick out. It was down before Colt 45 Stadium went in, I am almost positive. Playland was where Murworth intersects Main st. You couldn't miss it.

Maybe I can help out a little. Only the first hump fell over. The rest of the coaster was not damaged. It was rebuilt and the things in the park were repaired. If any one knows when ground was broken for the Astrodome that will tell us when the coaster was dismantled. The land under the race track and under the back half of the coaster was sold to the Astrodome complex and converted into a parking lot. Once the back of the coaster was gone, the park itself only lasted a few years. Like I said in a previous post I left the park in l952 after I got married. I know that the coaster was still complete at that time and up until at least l954 or l955 because I brought my son back to ride the boat road for children. Speaking of rides, I don't see any of them thru the framework of the coaster. You should be able to see the Ferris wheel, the Dive Bomber, The airplanes, the racetrack, etc.. I don't know when this picture was taken but I believe that it was taken when the park was just going up. I haven't heard from the library yet. Sparky

Thanks Spark, I knew I wasn't crazy, they broke ground on the dome on January 3rd 1962. And I was certain it wasn't there when the first game was played April 9th, 1965. I was there and it's would have been right there by the main entrance going in if were still there, there's kno way you could miss it. The entire park was gone before 1967 for sure. I wish I could find a better aerial of that area from '65.

According to the Smithsonian that picture was taken in May of '43

Here's a photo that came from Archie Lacy's grandkids, with a picture of Ed Hamblen, on the left, with Billy Wade in the Archie Lacy Special. That's Archie on the far right. I think that's Joseph Meyer in the middle. I don't know who the other two are, however it's got a good view of the coaster in the background. I'd have to guess early '50's if I had too.

504kgpi.jpg

T-Bird may be able to shed more light on the date of this photo, I think he may have communicated directly with the Lacy family.

T-Bird may be able to shed more light on the date of this photo, I think he may have communicated directly with the Lacy family.

Per Lacy's grandson, that's a 1957 photo. The #53 A.L. Special had just been built with some '57 Chevy tail fins incorporated into the rear. I agree with Mark that the coaster must have been torn down by the time construction on the Astrodome had begun. Mark, In your earlier post of the dome aerial shot, you're looking to the northeast (the Shamrock, in the upper left of the photo, is about due north of the Astrodome), so Playland would have been out of the picture to the lower left of the photo. Colt Stadium was on the north side of the dome, so the coaster may still have been there for awhile after it was built in the 1960 time-frame and prior to construction start on the dome. Attached a cropped 1968 Houston map (clickable thumbnail) showing the relative locations of the Astrodome and Playland. I guess some of Playland was still there. Murworth runs right where the roller coaster would have been.

th_MapPlaylandDomeCr-1968.jpg

Edited by 57Tbird

Per Lacy's grandson, that's a 1957 photo. The #53 A.L. Special had just been built with some '57 Chevy tail fins incorporated into the rear. I agree with Mark that the coaster must have been torn down by the time construction on the Astrodome had begun. Mark, In your earlier post of the dome aerial shot, you're looking to the northeast (the Shamrock, in the upper left of the photo, is about due north of the Astrodome), so Playland would have been out of the picture to the lower left of the photo. Colt Stadium was on the north side of the dome, so the coaster may still have been there for awhile after it was built in the 1960 time-frame and prior to construction start on the dome. Attached a cropped 1968 Houston map (clickable thumbnail) showing the relative locations of the Astrodome and Playland. I guess some of Playland was still there. Murworth runs right where the roller coaster would have been.

th_MapPlaylandDomeCr-1968.jpgPlayland was completely gone when the Dome opened. If you remember going to Playland from Houston, you would travel south on Main st. until it became So. Main. The Highway was split, having a high side traveling south and a low side traveling north. You would turn left at Guido's and enter the park thru the giant "Toothbrushs" and right into the parking lot. That entrance would later become Murworth Street. Right after the park was torn down and there was nothing but bare land and the street, you could look to the right and see a Weeping Willow tree still standing. I planted that tree when I was 10 years old. I looked for that tree every time I came back to Houston and saw it for a couple of years until apartments and businesses grew up on Murworth. Oh, the memories this site is bringing back. I thank all of you for this gift at this time in my life. Sparky.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a photo of Kiddie Wonderland right before it closed down (located on South Main, right by Med. Center, Prudential Bldg. and Shamrock Hilton). Heard a story of Candace Bergen's dad taking her there whenever he was at the Shamrock.

KiddieWndrld.jpg

Edited by NenaE