The Woodlands Research Forest Extension To Egypt

Muralpainter

From Don Norrell of The Woodlands Township:

Miles McKinney attended a regular Board meeting of the Westwood Magnolia Parkway Improvement District last evening. The purpose of attending this meeting was to gather additional information regarding a proposed 2-lane extension of Research Forest Drive from the existing intersection of Research Forest and Bear Branch Drive, in the Village of Alden Bridge, to Egypt Lane on the northwest side of the Township.

Planning and funding for extension of Research Forest Drive is under the direction of the Westwood Magnolia Parkway Improvement District. Funding will be accomplished thru sales tax collections levied on sales within the district. The district encompasses land containing commercial activity around and near the intersection of FM 2978 and Egypt Lane outside of The Woodlands Township. This Improvement District is funded through sales tax collections and these funds are proposed to be used to fund debt service requirements for bonds that will be issued for the roadway project. The roadway construction plan must be approved by Montgomery County before construction can begin.

Right-of-way necessary for the project was acquired by Montgomery County in 2010. County approval to move forward on construction of the roadway is projected by early November, with construction beginning in January 2012. The roadway extension is projected to be complete by mid-2012.

• 1 month later...

I heard this being talked about a year ago, and was expecting something to happen by spring 2011, but it didn't... So I will believe it when I see it, starting with clearing the area... although this sounds like a good indicator. Hopefully approval from the county comes through with no issues.

Personally, I don't like streets with breaks in them like Research Forest has here, and others like Kuykendahl from Crownridge to Alden Bridge... it's inconvenient when it could otherwise be a great alt route and very confusing to those navigating the area for the first time. Just my opinion.

Possibly one of the most unintentionally hilarious topic titles in the history of HAIF.

While most of you were laughing about the hilarious title, my first thoughts were, Hey! Egyt is in Wharton county, not Montogomery county.

I know, sad.

Yes the area is also named Egypt along with the other Egypt in Wharton county. Egypt could have been a better way to identify the area instead of Magnolia East or Woodlands West.

I misassumed that the humor statement was over yet another report that Research Forest would be extended.

post-3399-0-32890400-1320090666_thumb.jp

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From the Montgomery County Police Reporter:

On May 3, 2012 at approximately 9:20PM The Woodlands Fire Department responded to the report of a grass and woods fire on the Green Belt drainage ditch at the new Research Forest Cut through (Branch Crossing @ Research Forest Dr. area). When Firefighters arrived they discovered the excavator heavily involved in fire. Investigators from The Montgomery County Fire Marshal’s Office have determined that the fire was deliberately set. Also next to the excavator was a commercial tree shredder/grinder for making mulch out of the tree debris. The actor or actors also vandalized this machine by discharging the dry chemical fire extinguisher inside the operator’s compartment and opening the fuel drain valves draining approximately 50 gallons of diesel fuel on the ground. Two days prior to the fire, five juvenile males were seen at the worksite and interfered with the contractors by blocking their access to the tree debris. The juveniles refused to climb down from the tree debris piles citing their protest to cutting down trees to extend Research Forest Drive.

http://montgomerycountypolicereporter.com/?p=44988

While I agree that the cutting down and the destruction of nature HAS to stop, I don't think that that's the right way of doing things. Those little "eco-warriors" need to realize that by burning things (which releases harmful unburned hydrocarbons into the enviroment) they are harming their "cause", and are making themselves out to be royal nutjobs... **sigh**...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • The title was changed to The Woodlands Research Forest Extension To Egypt

Archived