Sign in to follow this  
trymahjong

Gentrification of Lower Westheimer1997-2012

I was in Awash when it was there. I like to think I have a reasonably catholic palate but that was some of the strangest food I've ever had. The ambience left a little to be desired - it was basically an office space with some tables scattered around. It wasn't a great surprise when it went under....

I guess this view was only of the 'trendy eats' kind of things, no coffee houses, like the Mausoleum on Westheimer and Taft (wish that place had survived, MUCH better atmosphere than Agora imo), or that pizza place that was next door to the Mausoleum where everyone smoked weed on the patio, or taco cabana that is now a smoothie king on Montrose and Westheimer.

Lots of things missing here is what I'm sayin' and I guess that was the point, to show the places that have moved in, but that's only half the picture, when you consider all the tat shops and second hand clothing stores, and hole in the wall places that have died as a result of the explosion of gentrification.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 2

I guess this view was only of the 'trendy eats' kind of things, no coffee houses, like the Mausoleum on Westheimer and Taft (wish that place had survived, MUCH better atmosphere than Agora imo), or that pizza place that was next door to the Mausoleum where everyone smoked weed on the patio, or taco cabana that is now a smoothie king on Montrose and Westheimer.

Lots of things missing here is what I'm sayin' and I guess that was the point, to show the places that have moved in, but that's only half the picture, when you consider all the tat shops and second hand clothing stores, and hole in the wall places that have died as a result of the explosion of gentrification.

Indeed. I'll go back even further - what about the BBQ place (Texas something Barbecue?) that occupied the spot where Smoothie King is now in the early 80s? Or when Hungry's (then Hungry International) was a couple of blocks further north on lower Westheimer?

well, as long as we're talking olden days, Joe Starr's Omni on the curve! A short lived punk venue in the early 80s. Bambolino's was across the street even then.

There was a cool vintage shop in that center next to the U Wash It (next to Poscole now). Back when vintage was few and far between and you got a smelly 50s print dress for $7, not $130.

Not sure what it is now, (used to be tats) but there was a barber school across the side street from Mango's. When we had enough money to pay for a haircut, we would go and let a 'student' butcher our hair for $5.

I still believe that Big Franks was the highest and best use of the space that later became Ming's and Little Bigs. The Chicago dog don't hesitate.

I've been jonesing to try Indika.

Go and try it ---it is as good as everyone says. The Houston Press map shows it appeared in 2001 but I remember the middle of 2006 when it opened on 514 Westheimer it was out in the boonies before.

I'm curious as to what was in business in the house that was torn down to make room for the new structure.

Edited by trymahjong

well, as long as we're talking olden days, Joe Starr's Omni on the curve! A short lived punk venue in the early 80s. Bambolino's was across the street even then.

There was a cool vintage shop in that center next to the U Wash It (next to Poscole now). Back when vintage was few and far between and you got a smelly 50s print dress for $7, not $130.

Not sure what it is now, (used to be tats) but there was a barber school across the side street from Mango's. When we had enough money to pay for a haircut, we would go and let a 'student' butcher our hair for $5.

I still believe that Big Franks was the highest and best use of the space that later became Ming's and Little Bigs. The Chicago dog don't hesitate.

I remember playing video games at the Omni, and that interesting Asian guy who sold acid and lived under the front steps. But, wasn't Bambolino's called Tim's Coffee shop at that time?

Go and try it ---it is as good as everyone says. The Houston Press map shows it appeared in 2001 but I remember the middle of 2006 when it opened on 514 Westheimer it was out in the boonies before.

I'm curious as to what was in business in the house that was torn down to make room for the new structure.

I used to eat there weekly when it was near Town and Country shopping center on Memorial. I tried the new location once. The menu had changed, it was hot and the parking situation was terrible. I haven't been back.

I used to eat there weekly when it was near Town and Country shopping center on Memorial. I tried the new location once. The menu had changed, it was hot and the parking situation was terrible. I haven't been back.

sorry it didn't work out okay--i'm lucky enough to live close enough to walk---usually there are enough spaces in the valet--the menu gets "tweaked" from time to time--maybe try again:)

i'm still wondering what was on this property originally --