According to HBJ, the Lone Star College system plans to implode two former Compaq buildings in their University Park campus. The implosion will be on September 18th and will take up to six weeks of cleanup. Lone Star cites the need for more green space as the reason for the demolition. Does anyone know which buildings in particular are being imploded? HBJ doesn't really specify.

HBJ link

According to HBJ, the Lone Star College system plans to implode two former Compaq buildings in their University Park campus. The implosion will be on September 18th and will take up to six weeks of cleanup. Lone Star cites the need for more green space as the reason for the demolition. Does anyone know which buildings in particular are being imploded? HBJ doesn't really specify.

HBJ link

I wish I would have found out a bit earlier since I was in the area a couple of weeks ago. I almost imagine that it might be the old manufacturer buildings...Buildings one/two, three/four. Those buildings were HUGE!

Are we talking about the buildings on the old Compaq campus? 25555 state highway 249?

Yes, The Lone Star College system bought a large chunk of the old Compaq campus from HP last year.

I am not completely sure, but it seems that the buildings to be imploded are Buildings 9 & 10. These are the only two buildings in the college campus that are vacant. They both look about 8 stories tall.

Lone Star - UC Map

Yes, The Lone Star College system bought a large chunk of the old Compaq campus from HP last year.

I am not completely sure, but it seems that the buildings to be imploded are Buildings 9 & 10. These are the only two buildings in the college campus that are vacant. They both look about 8 stories tall.

Lone Star - UC Map

Link to the article on the demo.

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/champions/news/lone-star-college-plans-demolition-to-create-green-space/article_8355838a-cf90-56e7-b24e-a55829682d94.html

Thank You Carly Farina,...............wicked witch of the West Coast.

If she would have left well enough alone, and listened to board members, Compaq may still be in business as an independent concern, HP may not have fired her, and she may have been eventually elected to Congress!

Sorry for the pop-up outburst guys.

They will implode CCA7 / CCA8. There are already crews taking out the windows and internal finishes... You can see the progress from Jones Rd.

Not something I ever thought I'd see...

Jeff

I had a fantastic office in CCA8 on the 8th floor (top) for 2 years with a view over the tree tops back to Lakewood Forrest. Then I move to CCA7 - also on the 8th floor with a window office looking down the campus toward the Mfg buildings and parking garage. The buildings have a nice atrium for every 2 floors and on the 8th, a cool arched skylight running the length of the hallway. I always felt like my office was on top of the world because when you stepped out of the elevator, you got all the natural light from the skylights. Much better than my current cubicle with no outside view.

Laura

HBJ link

These would be CCA7 and CCA 8. Which i believe to be SICK buildings.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is video we took on Jones road, former Compaq/HP employee. The buildings demolished were CCA7 and CCA8. The video above was taken FROM building 11.

FYI... the naming convention on the campus: CCA = Compaq Computer Admin, CCM=Compaq Computer Manufacturing , CCD=Compaq Computer Distribution. As in CCA1, CCM1 etc. There was only one CCD and it was magnificent and cutting edge in it's prime.

Here is video we took on Jones road, former Compaq/HP employee. The buildings demolished were CCA7 and CCA8. The video above was taken FROM building 11.

FYI... the naming convention on the campus: CCA = Compaq Computer Admin, CCM=Compaq Computer Manufacturing , CCD=Compaq Computer Distribution. As in CCA1, CCM1 etc. There was only one CCD and it was magnificent and cutting edge in it's prime.

Oops! Thanks for the clarification citizenjane!

• The title was changed to Lone Star Collge University Park Campus

Archived