Would you? Could you? Live in a Tiny Home

57 members have voted

1. 1. What is your 'main' homes sq footage?

• Above 5000 sq'
    • Above 2500 sq'
    • Above 1000 sq'
    • Less than 1000 sq'

Are you guys plotting your escape from the impending zombie apocalypse?

I have a Subaru sti, and can pretty quickly attach a big metal cow pusher on the front, I can put lots of gasoline in the back and I'm good for a speedy getaway

The 5,867 grenades, 95 AK-47s along with our Leopard 2A6's, outfitted with new smoke dispensers we keep out back, should ward off any problems for the short time needed to aid in our escape. No need for any spare cash, we'll just commandeer what we need! :ph34r:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, we must buy more because that's what the advertisers tell us to do. 19 skillets are even better. Lol

The 5,867 grenades, 95 AK-47s along with our Leopard 2A6's....,

Such a consumer of arms.... It seems a 700 SF home could be defended with a fraction of that arsenal.

Such a consumer of arms.... It seems a 700 SF home could be defended with a fraction of that arsenal.

Good one. Ah, but you see my good friend it is not our 380 plus square foot apt I care to defend. It would be my partner and my collective butts. As he is ex-military we felt "owed" a few mementos for time served.

post-10151-0-09044800-1315176144_thumb.j

Good one. Ah, but you see my good friend it is not our 380 plus square foot apt I care to defend. It would be my partner and my collective butts. As he is ex-military we felt "owed" a few mementos for time served.

Looks like a smaller version of my garage.

I have a Subaru sti, and can pretty quickly attach a big metal cow pusher on the front, I can put lots of gasoline in the back and I'm good for a speedy getaway

Ha, I imagine it sounds like that, huh. Except that no one ever really wins against the zombies. The best you get is a couple of weeks and a false hope of future. But your AWD Sub will come in handy, so you're in!

Assuming we don't have to prepare ourselves for some sort post-apocalyptic or class/resource-war induced dystopian future state, there is something to be said for alternative community 'planning'. Particularly for those of us who don't have children to leech off of in old age. As we age with nonexistent or greatly diminished paid-in benefits or other economic support structure, and lacking the hundreds of thousands in cash to self-finance 20-30 years of non-wage earning life and medical costs, the likelihood that we will need to look to each other for communal support grows. I think the 21st century version of communal living in the first world is going to really take off, and will have lots of freaky but interesting variations.

One great thing about Texas, there's a lot of land yet to claim.

Ha, I imagine it sounds like that, huh. Except that no one ever really wins against the zombies. The best you get is a couple of weeks and a false hope of future. But your AWD Sub will come in handy, so you're in!

Assuming we don't have to prepare ourselves for some sort post-apocalyptic or class/resource-war induced dystopian future state, there is something to be said for alternative community 'planning'. Particularly for those of us who don't have children to leech off of in old age. As we age with nonexistent or greatly diminished paid-in benefits or other economic support structure, and lacking the hundreds of thousands in cash to self-finance 20-30 years of non-wage earning life and medical costs, the likelihood that we will need to look to each other for communal support grows. I think the 21st century version of communal living in the first world is going to really take off, and will have lots of freaky but interesting variations.

One great thing about Texas, there's a lot of land yet to claim.

So, you're proposing 20 to 30 years of highly inefficient communal labor as a geezer taking care of other geezers...as a substitute for 20 to 30 years of putting off retirement, specializing in a higher-paying occupation within which you're already adept and that doesn't require physical exertion. By doing so, you will be able to afford better treatment by immigrant youths. (They are another great thing about Texas.)

Don't get me wrong. I can understand a concern about becoming unemployable and having no financial safety net. But if the solution requires that all those unemployable people somehow band together for mutual protection and service...yeah, well let's see how well that alzheimer's patient handles sentry duty.

So, you're proposing 20 to 30 years of highly inefficient communal labor as a geezer taking care of other geezers...as a substitute for 20 to 30 years of putting off retirement, specializing in a higher-paying occupation within which you're already adept and that doesn't require physical exertion. By doing so, you will be able to afford better treatment by immigrant youths. (They are another great thing about Texas.)

Don't get me wrong. I can understand a concern about becoming unemployable and having no financial safety net. But if the solution requires that all those unemployable people somehow band together for mutual protection and service...yeah, well let's see how well that alzheimer's patient handles sentry duty.

Sometimes your attempts to have the last word with a condescending comment lead you to make some remarkably ignorant statements. Crunch correctly pointed out that more people will be growing old alone in the future, leading to some interesting living arrangements, as depleted or non-existent retirement plans lead people to find less expensive arrangements than the senior communities. This could range from unmarried people living together in single family homes, to senior trailor parks, such as those seen in Florida already. It could also see people cashing equity out of their current homes to build small cottages with a central common area.

The savings achieved can be dramatic. A smaller home on a smaller lot costs less. But, other savings could be realized by sharing transportation, meals, and gardening. And, yes, the healthier residents can check up on the infirm, saving money on nursing care. And, of course, all the old folks can entertain each other in that way that old folks do, playing cards or bocci ball, saving on entertainment costs. These arrangements are not new. Prior to Wall Street convincing the middle class that they could retire as wealthy people, old folks did this all the time.

Just because you are apparently too young to realize that these are real issues to those approaching retirement, doesn't mean you should expose your ignorance by chastising others who bring it up.

Sometimes your attempts to have the last word with a condescending comment lead you to make some remarkably ignorant statements. Crunch correctly pointed out that more people will be growing old alone in the future, leading to some interesting living arrangements, as depleted or non-existent retirement plans lead people to find less expensive arrangements than the senior communities. This could range from unmarried people living together in single family homes, to senior trailor parks, such as those seen in Florida already. It could also see people cashing equity out of their current homes to build small cottages with a central common area.

The savings achieved can be dramatic. A smaller home on a smaller lot costs less. But, other savings could be realized by sharing transportation, meals, and gardening. And, yes, the healthier residents can check up on the infirm, saving money on nursing care. And, of course, all the old folks can entertain each other in that way that old folks do, playing cards or bocci ball, saving on entertainment costs. These arrangements are not new. Prior to Wall Street convincing the middle class that they could retire as wealthy people, old folks did this all the time.

Just because you are apparently too young to realize that these are real issues to those approaching retirement, doesn't mean you should expose your ignorance by chastising others who bring it up.

I agree completely. As I'm looking upon my (semi-)retirement in the next 20 yrs or so, my nest egg may not allow me to live out a life of travel, but will allow for a lifestyle that will allow me to keep my own pace. With the help of my and my SO's kids, we will be looked after quite well.

To be honest, I'm looking forward to strolls through museums, tending to my (by then) grandchildren, and people watching and gossiping with other elderly in the park.

I'll be content as long as I'm not eating Alpo or meow mix for meals,

Please excuse me. In the context of a $2,000-in-small-bills bug-out bag, an escape plan, armaments, and west Texas...I was distracted from a bit of sane tangentiality.

Please excuse me. In the context of a $2,000-in-small-bills bug-out bag, an escape plan, armaments, and west Texas...I was distracted from a bit of sane tangentiality.

I agree that some of the posts had bordered on the militia section of freerepublic, but crunch's post that you commented on appeared to actually be an attempt at bringing the topic back to just this side of teapartiness. And, let's face it. If the tea party faction of Congress gets therie wish, SSI and Medicare will expire literally 1-2 years before I am eligible to get them. I'll be looking at lowcost living in a big way.

It CAN be done, by the way, and without moving to a South American country. The problem in the US is that people tend to want to live in the style that they see on TV. While checking out living in Belize one day, they spoke of no AC, no cable, and other "necessities" that we've come to expect here in the US. Well, hell, if I'm giving up AC, cell phones, and cable, I could live on something on the order of $500 or $600 a month! Half of that is food. So, if a small group of like minded people got together and built sevral cottages, with a community kitchen and rec room, imagine how little money one could live on. If it were on a bus route, it would be even cheaper. The only issue is, like all co-ops, you have to choose the co-owners wisely.

I agree that some of the posts had bordered on the militia section of freerepublic, but crunch's post that you commented on appeared to actually be an attempt at bringing the topic back to just this side of teapartiness. And, let's face it. If the tea party faction of Congress gets therie wish, SSI and Medicare will expire literally 1-2 years before I am eligible to get them. I'll be looking at lowcost living in a big way.

It CAN be done, by the way, and without moving to a South American country. The problem in the US is that people tend to want to live in the style that they see on TV. While checking out living in Belize one day, they spoke of no AC, no cable, and other "necessities" that we've come to expect here in the US. Well, hell, if I'm giving up AC, cell phones, and cable, I could live on something on the order of $500 or $600 a month! Half of that is food. So, if a small group of like minded people got together and built sevral cottages, with a community kitchen and rec room, imagine how little money one could live on. If it were on a bus route, it would be even cheaper. The only issue is, like all co-ops, you have to choose the co-owners wisely.

http://tinyhousevillage.com

http://www.twelve3.ca/about_us.html

The chief problem with living in the U.S. on such a budget is that most middle-class people don't want to be viscerally reminded that they're living like [insert racial epithet here]. Forgive me, but that's what you've described.

Poverty in the wrong context ain't cool. And this generation of geezers wants to be cool.

The most sane thing I would recommend to aspirational geezers in Texas is to own a home which is your residence homestead. You can go bankrupt from medical-related debt, and nobody can take it away. And where property taxes are concerned, you are eligible for special treatment inclusive of tax deferral. It can also be reverse-mortgaged, which is great if you don't plan on leaving an inheritance to children or to the state. And seriously, none of that is going away.

" I could live on something on the order of $500 or $600 a month! Half of that is food"

There are some, outside the governments 'standard', who might consider this as poverty. These 'cool' people are the ones we must encourage to continue their 'cool' lifestyle. The more they consume, the more we [inserting racial epithets here] Trailer trash, Gweilos or 鬼佬, Métis, Honkies, Seppos, Crackers, Squareheads, Halfies, Rednecks, Pommies, Gringos, Peckerwoods, are able to live quite comfortably on their consumed 'discards'. Is air con, cable tv, nutritious food, adequate warm housing, clothing, and an xbox really poverty?

http://www.webpages.ttu.edu/chom/Hom.SRE.pdf

"I'll be looking at lowcost living in a big way."

For those unable to view outside of their own eyes, middle class Americans are already doomed to live in their lives of self- imposed 'poverty'. Adventure is suitable for all people.

“It is easier to stay out than get out.” – Mark Twain

http://www.everydayminimalist.com/

http://www.postconsumers.com/education/

A perfect design for an in-law cottage.

http://www.good.is/post/when-luxury-and-trashy-collide-inside-one-man-s-dumpster-house

A Berkeley, California man has erected a one-person house in a dumpster, of all places. While the art of dumpster swimming pools and dumpster diving are already ways of life for the thrifty or adventuresome, Gregory Kloehn is elevating the dumpster-centric movement to new levels with his dumpster house, complete with amenities that rival some luxury condos

Edit: I wonder if Houston would still require it to be fully fenced off.

to be clear, I'm still very much a fan of cash, guns and a passport. But I have far less faith that 20-30 years from now the insurance and banking sectors (tax deferral, reverse mortgages, etc) are providing extra scratch to people without incomes or property assets. Here's an ugly fact: I have the same amount of inflation-adjusted retirement savings now that I did in 2000. That's the effect of being a youngish person aggressively invested throughout two very significant market downturns. It takes a long damn time to recover a 50-70% loss, twice, on a middle class salary in 10 years of mostly secular bear market. At 46, I don't have a lot of faith I will magically quadruple my money in the next 20. I also assume that in 25 years there is no social security check coming to me. It goes without saying I don't have a pension. It's only prudent to think ahead.

But back to my housing ideas: It's safe to say I will have plenty of young and healthy people around. Half the kids today seem to be raised by their grandparents anyway; I don't see that trend reversing. Plenty of little vagabonds will be available. The only problem I see is that I'll be old, and Niche will be going on 40 and will have lost his youthful appeal. Hopefully he'll have a kid or two by then to work the water pumps and carry the compost. Choose your mates wisely, cuz I would prefer visually appealing and articulate help. One lesser hookup and you're risking it!

;)

]I have the same amount of inflation-adjusted retirement savings now that I did in 2000. That's the effect of being a youngish person aggressively invested throughout two very significant market downturns. It takes a long damn time to recover a 50-70% loss, twice, on a middle class salary in 10 years of mostly secular bear market. At 46, I don't have a lot of faith I will magically quadruple my money in the next 20.

Yes. This is me exactly. It was great until CREF drank the Enron Kool-Aid and hasn't been any good since 2001.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

In the news today:

A Florida developer said he can put people in a small home for the price of a mid-sized car.

Dan Louche is building his second tiny home on his father's Deland, Fla., rural property. The outside of the 160-square-foot home is cedar. Inside, it's knotty pine.

The materials are the same and sometimes better than those found in conventional homes, but Louche builds the small house for $36,000. It's less than half that if you build from his plans.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/Florida-developer-builds-tiny-home-for-price-of-car/-/1735978/8814848/-/2ql9i6/-/index.html

• 4 months later...

A Subaru? Really? I have never known anyone that owns a Subaru. I've seen the comercials on TV all the time, about the guy loosing his sunglasses and the other where he does want to part with his older Subaru (which incidentally looks just like the new one), so he makes room in the garage for both.

But really, I never see anyone driving one around here. Is there even a dealership here in Houston?

A Subaru? Really? I have never known anyone that owns a Subaru. I've seen the comercials on TV all the time, about the guy loosing his sunglasses and the other where he does want to part with his older Subaru (which incidentally looks just like the new one), so he makes room in the garage for both.

But really, I never see anyone driving one around here. Is there even a dealership here in Houston?

There are dealerships, but they're about as far away from Santa Fe, Texas as they knew how to get.

I wonder if this will ever catch on in Houston... especially inside the loop.

Given that they would likely be classified as mobile homes, it would be hard for them to "catch on" in Houston, due to the numerous restrictions on mobile homes. However, prefab or modular homes may achieve a moderate amount of success in the right location and with the right demographic.

This is my first HAIF post...I've been frequenting the site for at least a year but been to shy to contribute so please bear with me, hahaha. :-)

I've been researching these tiny homes for a year or two now. My personal opinion is that a small family could live in a house of 600-800 square feet if you're prepared. Tumbleweed Tiny Houses (http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/) has a great little plan for a family and they provide shelving/closets built into the house for ample storage. Then again, I don't have very many things (by choice). My husband and I currently live in an apartment and I think it would be more than feasible to raise a child in a small home. I think we have way too much room currently, personally-- we don't use the dining area and rarely use the office area except for storage, and our guest bathroom has never been used (we rent a 2 bed/2 bath). Husband and I don't see eye to eye on how much room we have vs. what we use though. I'd love to "downgrade" to a tiny house.

• 1 month later...

We used to live in a place that was around 600 square feet. All in all that was a little to small. Now we live in 950 sq ft. That is fairly comfortable. I think as energy prices (and therefore heating and cooling costs) increase house sizes will decrease.

I just saw this in the news and since someone posted here, I figured it was enough:

San Francisco is testing out 220sq ft. apartments.

Since everyone knows living there is insanely expensive, they hope this will allow a single person to afford their own place.

I don't recall the size of the smallest apartment I lived in, (400sq?) but man, that does sound tiny.

That's like Tokyo tiny.

Archived