Hurricane Irene 2011

bachanon

Hey guys, as I'm sure I'm not the only person with friends and family on the East Coast, I figured we might as well open a thread on Irene.

Do you think this is over-hyped? How bad is it for New York City if the winds are 70 mph for 10-12 hours and a 3-5 foot tidal surge?

I think due to its current and abnormally western track, it could be dangerous with the flooding. But it sure seems like when a Cat 2 or less is coming for the Texas coast, we sure don't get 24 hour coverage on CNN. Did Anderson Cooper set up shop on our seawall for Ike ? nope.

I am in Manhattan watching NY1. The mayor is taking the hurricane preparedness seriously---

All street repairs were halted yesterday, all subways, buses, ferries- closed 12 pm today---all tolls are waived. Beaches and cultural institutions are closed. Broadway is dark. The mayor ordered evac low lying areas of zone 1 by 5pm. He says they are prepared to shelter 70,000.

On the streets, long lines at grocery and drug stores.everyone seems to have cans soup, a crate of bottled water and a12 pack of beer.

My first thoughts at the beginning of the week as it became clear Irene was going to affect the East Coast ...jealousy.

Where the hell is our hurricane? East coast doesn't need it.. we do.

We can't get one. The high pressure dome that is slowly killing us through heat and drought would steer any hurricanes around us. It would simply be a tease that then slid south to Mexico or east to La.

High Pressure Dome

aside from the storm surge and maybe flooding of the subway lines, I dont' think its going to be that big of a deal.

I don't think the winds and damage is going to be any worse than the typical nor'ester they would normally get.

aside from the storm surge and maybe flooding of the subway lines, I dont' think its going to be that big of a deal.

I don't think the winds and damage is going to be any worse than the typical nor'ester they would normally get.

I guess that you unaware that 250,000 New Yorkers live less than 5 feet above sea level then? To put that in perspective, imagine the entire Galveston County population going under water. No, not the island. The entire county.

Yes, storm surge is kind of a big deal.

I am close to Inwood Park-- the tides are high enough from Harlem River to breech park paths. It is raining hard but wind seems minimal. There is tree refuse on sidewalks. We still have power. The other 4 boroughs not so lucky. 6000 in Bronx lost power. No one is on the streets.

NY! shows Rockaway pier broken in 2 places and the stairs around battery park towards the river flooded.

Think the worse is over.

The winds gusted to 50+ mph in Inwood park-----There were branches of trees the width of my arm that broke off. That seems to be only damage. Inwood is greenspace that goes up to the Ft. Tryon, many of the trees lost branches.

We didn't lose power in Inwood, but 20,000 in Queens, 16,000 in Staten Island lost power. Most of Coney Island seems flooded. There are flooded out underpasses all over the city, where no traffic can get through.

The Mayor reported, crime went down significantly in last 24 hours.

How Irene measures up to Katrina or Ike, I don't know. I spent both Katrina and Rita in my house in Montrose. During Ike I was in Las Vegas. but it's hard to compare these things.

I appreciated the proactive measures the city took. I think mostly NYC got lucky as far as Irene's damage potential is concerned----and I'm so relieved.

Archived