Metro CEO back on the job

editor

Statement of METRO President & CEO George Greanias

I want to address my recent suspension and the embarrassing and difficult situation I brought upon myself. Let me start by saying that I am ready to get back to work today. My mission is to deliver the best transportation system in America for our riders, taxpayers, employees and all our citizens.

I made a terrible mistake by not only violating METRO policy, but also by letting down everyone in this agency and the public. There was no excuse for my behavior and I won’t offer one. I broke our policy and I broke trust with METRO employees and the public. I am truly sorry and apologize to every METRO employee, every METRO board member, elected officials, stakeholders, every METRO rider and to the public. I take full responsibility and have accepted my suspension without pay as appropriate and justified.

The best way I know how to redeem myself is to deliver better transportation that provides easier commutes and helps build a stronger economy. That’s been my goal since I got here, and it remains my goal. The hallmark values of the New METRO are transparency and accountability. We work every day to solve problems – and that includes acknowledging problems so that we can solve them.

I am deeply saddened and embarrassed that I created a problem. My employers have acknowledged that and have been completely open and transparent with the public and the media. I strongly support that. They have imposed a punishment on me that is serious and appropriate. I also strongly support that – because leaders should be held to a high standard.

I want to be very clear that while I violated METRO’s policy, and I broke trust with METRO and the public, I did not break the law. I understand that breaking trust is just as serious, and I am dedicating myself to making amends for that. The issue here is not my personal life; the issue is my public job. I have accepted my punishment from the board and now I am ready to get back to work and focus on the transportation needs for our community.

Statement of METRO President & CEO George Greanias

I want to be very clear that while I violated METRO’s policy, and I broke trust with METRO and the public, I did not break the law.

Mr. Greanias is the best thing to happen to METRO management in decades, maybe ever. If he were the CEO of a private corp he and his board could weather this scandal. But as the CEO of a public agency he occupies a political position.

And even though I take him at his word that he broke no law, he has the "dead girl, live boy" political problem whether the accusation is justified or not. It will damage his effectiveness - Bob Stein has already said someone else will have to be the face of the agency, maybe Chmn Garcia.

Greanias's resignation should have been in front of the board 1st thing this morning.

Archived