College Football 2011

Highway6

We've seen Oregon play an SEC team (granted, the best SEC team or 2nd best, not a middle of the pack team) two years in a row, and it hasn't gone well. So they're hard to believe too, which affects Stanford's credibility.

Didn't Oregon play Tenn last year? Also the ntl. chmp. game was just gross as is most Bowl Games that occur after 4-5 bye weeks. Cant wait until the playoff system is put into play b/c this BCS/Bowl game crap is a complete joke.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't Oregon play Tenn last year? Also the ntl. chmp. game was just gross as is most Bowl Games that occur after 4-5 bye weeks. Cant wait until the playoff system is put into play b/c this BCS/Bowl game crap is a complete joke.

I think UCLA and Cal have beaten Tennessee lately, not Oregon. I don't really hold Tennessee as the standard for anything other than unwarranted expectations. That national championship game was pretty hard to watch. Not as bad as bama beating UT though.

Tough week w/the pics (Aub/Fla, A&M/Baylor,KSU/TT,UM/MSU)...Any insider info?

Yes - take the opposite of who I picked. I'm trending 0 for the first 2 so far. I went Auburn, Baylor, KSU, MSU. I picked Auburn! Gross. I need a few more showers. Whatever, if picking them jinxes them to lose, I'll do it. Pretty sure they won't though, Florida without Brantley is not good. Speaking of that, our strength of schedule has to take a hit last week and this week. Tenn and Fla without starting QBs, not good. They won't win much.

Go Coogs! #19 in the first BCS rankings. Homecoming this weekend.

Happy for the coogs.

Homecoming -

Perhaps going to a highschool without football, I've never really understood the appeal or concept of homecoming. But I really just don't get it at the college level.

Most schools have stadium capacities well over their student population size... who the heck do they think fills the other half of their stadiums if not the alumni?

From my perspective.. homecomings at the university level are embarrassing. And I'm not calling out UH, I know it's prevalent across the country. If you have to dedicate a special weekend for alumni to visit your campus and attend a football game, you're doing something wrong.

Would be a disservice to both of them.. just like 2010 Fiesta (TCU / Boise). Nobody wants to see David vs David... they want to see David vs Goliath, like 2011 Rose (TCU / Wiscy)

Boise = Goliath...Boise can beat any team in the top five less BAMA.

Boise = Goliath...Boise can beat any team in the top five less BAMA.

How can you assume that. They play one ranked team all yr... and that's Georgia from an underwhelming SEC East.

Having a good football program does not make you a Goliath.

3rd best academic ranked school from the 39th ranked most populous state in a 2nd tier conference.... i don't care how good they are, That's a David.

That's why people want to see them play actual competition in a bowl... Not against another BCS buster, not against the BEast champ, a big name school with a big name football program. Same goes for UH... I wanna see how they'd do against the Pac or B10. Boise St beating UH or visa versa doesn't show us much.

How can you assume that. They play one ranked team all yr... and that's Georgia from an underwhelming SEC East.

Having a good football program does not make you a Goliath.

3rd best academic ranked school from the 39th ranked most populous state in a 2nd tier conference.... i don't care how good they are, That's a David.

That's why people want to see them play actual competition in a bowl... Not against another BCS buster, not against the BEast champ, a big name school with a big name football program. Same goes for UH... I wanna see how they'd do against the Pac or B10. Boise St beating UH or visa versa doesn't show us much.

I'm confused about the "Having a good football program does not make you a Goliath" statement but will refrain as we can all look at TCU's 5 min of fame...Anyway, didn't UH get a win vs. PAC-12 via UCLA this year? Ok, well I'm also sure that Boise st. rocked Georgia (SEC) and when they were on the field they "Physically" looked better than a lot of other SEC teams, but that doesn't matter either....I understand where you are coming from, but the big schools gain "NOTHING" from playing "David" in a non championship game, which is why there needs to be a playoff system.

Think about it, how much does a win in a non championship bowl game matter if it doesn't even count for second place and the loss counts for absolutely nothing in the players eyes as long as they don't get injured or screw up their NFL money...:unsure:

BCS = Big Crook System!

Let's play for 3,4,5th place, guys!!!

Coogs vs. Boise St in a BCS game? I also have no confidence in Wisco vs. MSU (E. Lansing is a terrible place to Play!! Unless we are speaking Basketball of course)

If the current plans/rumors work out, UH vs. Boise could be an annual Big East conference game come 2013.

I'm confused about the "Having a good football program does not make you a Goliath" statement

By that definition of Goliath, every team that makes a BCS game would be considered a Goliath. All BCS games would be equal.

Cincinatti vs UH would be the same as Ohio St vs USC. I've changed the channel on enough BCS games involving the BEast champ to know not all BCS games are created equally.

I'm totally with you on the need for at least a plus+1 and the unfairness of the BCS system...

however.. that doesn't change the fact that there are some conference that are better than others. There are schools that are bigger and have more resources and history and are going to be better than others.

The conference you are in is indicative of the competition you routinely face. Kudos to BS for beating Georgia, and kudos to UH for beating UCLA... but that one quality win over a good SEC team or a mediocre PAC team isn't enough to convince me they could beat any team they played, much less any team in the top 5 not named Bama.

thank goodness Tech isnt listed this week, going with my heart has killed my scores the last two weeks!! I went from second to dead last i think

I dont know what the heck the BigXII -2 -1 +1 -1 needs to do. Supposedly Mizzou has decided to head over to SEC. I still think abandon ship and OU, OSU, UT, and TTU head over to PAC. We asked TCU to join, but what is the point? Are we just going to take some scraps from the big east?

I dont think UH will pull out the season without a loss, dont forget the heroics required to sneak past Louisiana tech by one point! Maybe they do, we will see, but I think its a bit early in the season to be getting wound up if UH gets snubbed for a BCS game or has to play another nonAQ school. Marshall, @ UAB, SMU, and @ Tulsa - will be interesting to see how those games turn out.

By that definition of Goliath, every team that makes a BCS game would be considered a Goliath. All BCS games would be equal.

Cincinatti vs UH would be the same as Ohio St vs USC. I've changed the channel on enough BCS games involving the BEast champ to know not all BCS games are created equally.

Maybe you shouldn't have changed the channel so quickly? Here are the overall winning percentages for the 6 BCS-AQ Leagues, Notre Dame, and the non AQs that have reached the BCS Bowls since their inception.

.714 SEC and NON-AQ teams (yep, the Davids)

.625 PAC TEN

.478 BIG TEN

.462 BIG EAST

.444 BIG XII

.154 ACC

.000 NOTRE DAME (0-3 in BCS bowls)

Kudos to BS for beating Georgia, and kudos to UH for beating UCLA... but that one quality win over a good SEC team or a mediocre PAC team isn't enough to convince me they could beat any team they played, much less any team in the top 5 not named Bama.

2009: UH won 45-35 at #5 Oklahoma State. Houston can and has beaten great teams. That said, I wouldn't say that Houston is in a position where it could legitimately deserve to compete for the national championship. But I also don't think that Houston would be easily beaten if it got to a BCS bowl.

Sorry 20th, this suspension shouldn't hurt LSU too bad vs. Auburn, but I guess the school felt that there was a need to publicize this unless it's a 2nd offense for Honey Badger and Ware. I just can't believe how the school would jeopardize a chance to earn MILLIONS (ntl title..win or lose) over a street drug test when the NCAA "Never" tests for ole Mary Jane (or synthetic Mary)! Mike Phelps, Carmello, Most NBA and NFL during season....now these guys. When will people get over mary and its usage w/n world class athletes, especially since it's not a "performance enhancer"?

I wonder will schools ever do random Alcohol tests on Fri and Sunday/Monday am's?:lol:

http://espn.go.com/b...for-auburn-game

2009: UH won 45-35 at #5 Oklahoma State. Houston can and has beaten great teams. That said, I wouldn't say that Houston is in a position where it could legitimately deserve to compete for the national championship. But I also don't think that Houston would be easily beaten if it got to a BCS bowl.

I'm not saying Houston isn't capable of beating great teams. I'm saying that's what i want to see in a bowl matchup - them playing a great team.

Boise State plays one quality game a year in the regular season. That they've won that game (Vt and Oregon x2) is a testament to them being a goood football program right now. But their 10 and 11 win records every year are meaningless when the rest of their schedules are made up of Idahos, Fresnos St, Utah St, San Jose St, etc. They better have 10 win season every yr with a schedule like that.

TCU has one quality conference game against Utah every year. They didn't have a quality non-con game last yr. The two years prior, they schedule OU and Clemson non-com and split them. They split Texas and Tech the two yrs prior to that. The rest of their 11 win season are made by beating UNLV, Co St, and Air Force etc every year.

Boise St played and beat OU by less that a field goal back in the 06 Fiesta... Now that was a hell of a game and a hell of a matchup.

TCU beat Wiscy last year. Again, a hell of a matchup.

Boise St and TCU played against each other in bowl games two years in a row prior. they split the series. And those games accomplished nothing. Two Good football teams, yes. But two David's that get 10 wins a season by beating nobodies.

UH is no different. I want their bowl competition to be against a real team, one that is tested more than once a season. Playing against Boise St is not an opportunity to prove themselves. And until Boise St moves to a conference where they will be tested, they will always be a David.

TCU is getting the chance starting next season. If they can maintain 9 or 10 win seasons every year when they play OU, Texas, Tech, OK ST, K State.. they'll be a monster and will finally have earned their reputation as a great team.

Sorry 20th, this suspension shouldn't hurt LSU too bad vs. Auburn, but I guess the school felt that there was a need to publicize this unless it's a 2nd offense for Honey Badger and Ware. I just can't believe how the school would jeopardize a chance to earn MILLIONS (ntl title..win or lose) over a street drug test when the NCAA "Never" tests for ole Mary Jane (or synthetic Mary)! Mike Phelps, Carmello, Most NBA and NFL during season....now these guys. When will people get over mary and its usage w/n world class athletes, especially since it's not a "performance enhancer"?

I wonder will schools ever do random Alcohol tests on Fri and Sunday/Monday am's?:lol:

http://espn.go.com/b...for-auburn-game

What can I say, Les always sticks to his principles. I like that about him. Either way, we have DBs and RBs coming out of our asses, so it shouldn't make a difference. If anything, it should make the team pull their focus together for this week and might help avoid the look-ahead to Bama next week.

WVU got rocked, continuing the trend I noted last week of every team we play getting worse throughout the season. Miss St, Florida, and Tennessee went from possible resurgence to just bad, WVU won't be a top 15 team anymore. I guess Oregon is holding up their end. I think people need to stop pimping the SEC as the best thing ever, it's a bag of average with a couple cherries on top, same as most other conferences.

Good thing all that matters is what we do...get past this week, bama, and Arkansas, and it doesn't matter if they all lose. Big difference from 2003 when we crawled our way up. It's much easier to start at the top and stay there than start outside the top and jump people.

Thank God Notre Dame is officially out of the conversation. Was so tired of hearing about the BCS bowl chanced of a 4-2 team.

Coogs won big. Another sellout crowd and an excellent tailgating scene. The Rice game is this Thursday. Sadly, just 1 home game left after that until possibly the CUSA Championship game.

Not much posting here for such a good weekend of football. My pick em was strange, I got the 7-10 confidence all right and the 1-6 all wrong.

Bye bye big 10 national championship relevance. Bye bye Notre Dame BCS game. Sweet.

Ha, when did the Big 10 have a shot at the ntl. championship?? I picked M$U (another 40 pt. wk) because I knew that Wisco's defense was stiff and unathletic esp up front....Just had no clue why so many people (including you 20th) were so high on them. On the otherhand It's gross to see how terrible college football is this year in ALL CONFERENCE's (i.e. just look at the top 15 teams...ugghh). This is 2 years in a row of sub par fball and It's never been so refreshing to see Sunday roll around.

On a better note, I actually think that collegiate team in Houston (not rice) may be on to something if they continue to outscore teams, but they will likely show like crap in a bowl game because it'll take their offense 3 qtrs to get going after a 5-6 weeks off following the regular season. If you don't believe me take a look at bowl games in the past few years and it's the team with the most stable defenses that prevails because collegiate offenses are typically complex and timing has to be perfect. Unless you have a guy like A. Luck, T.Boyd (Clemson) or maybe UH's qb, the game always favor the best D.

So eventhough I'm taking BAMA (b/c of running game and defense) over LSU, I think if LSU wins and remains undefeated their defense gives them the best chance to win it all (i.e. Stanford = exception) because LSU is accustom to playing without a stable Offense.

Thank God Notre Dame is officially out of the conversation. Was so tired of hearing about the BCS bowl chanced of a 4-2 team.

Coogs won big. Another sellout crowd and an excellent tailgating scene. The Rice game is this Thursday. Sadly, just 1 home game left after that until possibly the CUSA Championship game.

Agree on ND.. Love to hate them.

I'm wondering if UH has reached their ceiling in the polls. Non-conference games are usually scheduled a few years out, so you never know how good/bad a team will be when you play them. So Kudos to them for attempting to schedule a good team in a BCS conference - UCLA - but unfortunately with as poor a season as UCLA is they don't get many strength of schedule points for it.

Going undefeated is always impressive...but... They've beaten one team with a winning record, and as currently stands, if they win out, 3 wins will be over schools with winning records.

I don't think that should earn a BCS at large spot.... but I'm curious to see they can get up to 12 in the rankings to qualify.

UH's opponents and current records

UCLA 3-4

N Tex 3-5

La Tech 3-4

Georgia St (Div II) 2-5

UTEP 4-3

East Carolina 3-4

Marshall 3-5

Rice 2-5

UAB 1-6

Tulane 2-6

SMU 5-2

Tulsa 4-3

UH vs Rice right now on fox sports. Rain has not been keenum's friend. Interception, fumble for td. Rice up 17-14.

Yeah they recovered ok. Keenum has 8 (EIGHT!!!) TD passes, and there are still a few minutes left in the 3rd quarter. Silly.

So will Keenum go the way of the other guys at the top of that record book, and never even start in the NFL? Or does he have what it takes?

He may not be a starting the the NFL, but he is definitely good enough to be on a scout team.

Archived