to paint or not to paint

lizard98rx

hi everyone,

please advise us on whether to paint our front door or leave it alone. we were thinking dark orange. thanks

I think paint could look good. However, if you decide to paint the door, you really need to pick a complementary color for the door frame and the window frames. That being said, paint is not necessary.

the door is anodized aluminum

It looks great as it is. If you do decide to paint (and I hope you don't) know that the preparation of and paints used on metals is somewhat different than wood. When we specify paint on aluminum frames, like those seen in commercial buildings, is is usually for new construction and we call for a factory applied fluoropolymer finish. Anything else chips and fades too readily. If you must have the doors painted consider finding an automotive body and paint shop that will prepare the aluminum and apply the paint. Powder coating is also an option but you would have to remove everything from the door including the glass and all the hardware. Keep it as it is - it looks great.

the door is anodized aluminum

If you do decide to paint (and I hope you don't) know that the preparation of and paints used on metals is somewhat different than wood. When we specify paint on aluminum frames, like those seen in commercial buildings, is is usually for new construction and we call for a factory applied fluoropolymer finish. Anything else chips and fades too readily. If you must have the doors painted consider finding an automotive body and paint shop that will prepare the aluminum and apply the paint. Powder coating is also an option but you would have to remove everything from the door including the glass and all the hardware.

Keep it as it is - it looks great.

some think it's too harsh looking. if we do paint it we will do powder coating.

Don't worry about what "some [others]" think. Do what you want to do. It's your house and your doors and this is Houston, Texas after all. If you do decide to paint (because YOU want to) I believe powder coating is your best money spent. Enjoy your home.

Archived