Downtown Vs. Uptown

Dominax

Its just a personal opinion --- he is a great engineer, but perhaps he is an overated architect.

Just because you can design a building with "wings" that can open and close doesnt mean you should, nor should you even try. Todays architects are to caught up with the highly technical details of their buildings, give me a Barragon over Calatrava anyday!

That said I think he must think of himself as the next Frank L. Wright or atleast his wife does, since it is she who told the proposed buildings owner that "...you know that building will always be known as the Calatrava building..."

That in and of itself is reason enough to hope this building fails - the world already has enough egotists, and architects by nature think of themselves as superior to other humans, we dont need to flaunt it and shouldnt have to!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I am curious as to the true height of chase tower. This site has it at 1002 feet, but the houston chronicle had an article listing the true height at 1049 feet.

The Chron probibly got that from the Information thing in the Lobby of the Chase Tower. It does say 1,049ft. But I've hear 1,005ft (305m) or 1,002ft.

The Chron probibly got that from the Information thing in the Lobby of the Chase Tower. It does say 1,049ft. But I've hear 1,005ft (305m) or 1,002ft.

Right but a dirty little secret is that the 992' for 1000 Louisiana doesn't measure the penthouse storey on top, whereas Texas Commerce Tower has a flat roof. I measure the penthouse as 14', so that would make Texas Commerce Tower the /second/-tallest building in the state, although still the first thousand-foot building in the world to have been built outside of the two birthplaces of the high-rise.

• 3 months later...

The height of both Chase and WF seem to be a mystery. I've seen two heights listed for WF: 972 and 992. Which is correct? Or is it really even taller than that? I've also heard that WF wants to keep the height of its building a mystery.

It begs an answer becauase from most angles, WF seems to be taller than Chase.

Right but a dirty little secret is that the 992' for 1000 Louisiana doesn't measure the penthouse storey on top, whereas Texas Commerce Tower has a flat roof. I measure the penthouse as 14', so that would make Texas Commerce Tower the /second/-tallest building in the state, although still the first thousand-foot building in the world to have been built outside of the two birthplaces of the high-rise.

What makes you think that mechanical room at the top of WF Plaza is not counted in the building height?

The height of both Chase and WF seem to be a mystery. I've seen two heights listed for WF: 972 and 992. Which is correct? Or is it really even taller than that? I've also heard that WF wants to keep the height of its building a mystery.

It begs an answer becauase from most angles, WF seems to be taller than Chase.

True from certain angles, but I don't think it's true from "most" angles.

The idea that WF wants to keep the height of its building secret is a bit silly. (1) WF does not own the building; they are merely a tenant. (2) The height is right there on the building's website: 992 feet.

Chase Tower's website also gives the 1,049 foot height. If that height were correct, it would still be the tallest building in the US outside NY and Chi.

• 9 years later...
50 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Seriously? There are sports, nice parks, great restaurants and bars, theater, easy public transit

I have no interest in billionaires getting richer through subsidized stadiums, thus no interest in the sports that are offered downtown. I have plenty of nice parks and restaurants in my area. I don't drink, so not interested at all in bars. Theater? No thanks, not an interest for me. I have a car.

I don't begrudge anyone liking what they like. There's somewhere for everyone.

6 hours ago, HOUCAJUN said:

Seems as though you have no use for life.

Okay, that's a little much. I love downtown (despite agreeing with gmac on sports stadiums), like the walkability, the theatres, the nightlife, the architecture, but saying gmac has "no use for life" because he doesn't like downtown and what it has to offer is crossing over to personal attack.  I believe a Houstonian can have a very full and rich life without going into downtown.

One thing that's always amused me is that the people who break out into hives and fall to the floor in spasms at the idea of driving downtown, also calmly do their holiday shopping at the Galleria and thereabouts.  At least downtown they remembered to keep the nice tidy grid pattern of streets in place.

Archived