Sign in to follow this  

Free Weekend Parking Downtown

Any thoughts on how free weekend parking could be offered downtown ? I believe that there are other cities that offer this.

I do believe it is free on sundays. And free after 6pm on saturdays.

I think it's 7pm, and daily.

Sunday is free all day.

I don't think the pricing is the problem right now.

For me, its the fact that the majority of the spots around my building are currently blocked off due to construction (they put those slip covers over the ticket machines).

Also, somehow valet companies get to buy off entire blocks in the evening, preventing you from using even more spots.

I would love for visitors to be able to pay the 6 dollars for the entire day, but finding street parking right now can be very frustrating.

Here's a question for someone, if they know:

If I park my car on a street (e.g. Travis across from the Rice Lofts) in the afternoon (say 2pm) that gets blocked off in the evening for valet, are they allowed to tow it?

It's free after 6pm Mon - Sat (meters stop taking money after 5:55pm). Sundays are free. I'm downtown all the time and find free parking easy to come by.

• Like 1

It is free after 6pm to 7am during the week and Saturday's. On Sunday it is free all day. It use to be free on Saturday's in the majority of downtown until they changed it a few years ago.

If I park my car on a street (e.g. Travis across from the Rice Lofts) in the afternoon (say 2pm) that gets blocked off in the evening for valet, are they allowed to tow it?

Just remember that its a no parking zone on some streets from 4-6 pm, you will get towed. But I think the pull in parking spots are fair game on praire.

I don't think the pricing is the problem right now.

For me, its the fact that the majority of the spots around my building are currently blocked off due to construction (they put those slip covers over the ticket machines).

Also, somehow valet companies get to buy off entire blocks in the evening, preventing you from using even more spots.

I would love for visitors to be able to pay the 6 dollars for the entire day, but finding street parking right now can be very frustrating.

It is a public street, unless it states that it is a valet zone, even then it is only to pick up and drop off they can't tow your car just because they want to use it as a valet spot, even if they put a cone there, you can move it.... like the other poster said though, most of downtown is a no park area during rush hour (I think from 4-6pm)

free parking 6pm-7am Mon-Sat, free all day Sunday, designated 'traffic flow' zones that are tow-away zones between 4pm and 6pm (not all streets are like this)

plus, there are some areas that are fire zones 24/7/365 (and they're not marked as clearly as they should be!)