Downtown Parking

ricco67

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/m...politan/2877223

Oct. 31, 2004, 10:29PM

ON THE ROAD

Downtown street parking no longer free on Saturdays

Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

Downtown street parking no longer free on Saturdays

If you're planning to head downtown on a Saturday, don't forget to bring a pile of change.

A city ordinance requiring payment of parking meters from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturdays took effect last weekend. Previously, the meters were only in operation on weekdays.

Enforcement of downtown parking regulations picked up over the summer, when the Parking Management Division for the first time assigned its officers to write tickets on Saturdays for cars parked in violation of signs. Policing meter payment is now part of those officers' Saturday duties.

Red stickers have been added to meters to remind motorists of the new Saturday rule.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
this is a bad thing

I agree. Bad thing. Saturday people aren't used to taking a bus to downtown. They want to drive, and most of all, park free. And the times they chose -- 7am-6pm hurts those who live downtown trying to run errands on their day off -- not the suburban 20-somethings who come just to drink and start fights.

Nov. 5, 2004, 11:44PM

Battle of park versus parking

Some say greenery is nice, but where will the cars and trucks go?

By NANCY SARNOFF

Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

When the city of Houston turns 13 acres of downtown land into an urban green space, two parking lots in front of the George R. Brown Convention Center will disappear.

Those who use the convention center say the loss of parking means a crowded situation will become a nightmare.

"There's just not enough parking downtown," said Bridal Extravaganza producer Linda Miller, who relies on the front-door lots for her exhibitors and patrons. "That's gold to me."

When the park is built, Miller and others like her fear they will lose customers because they will have to park so far away from the event.

"Brides are pushing mothers and grandmothers in wheelchairs," said Miller, who has used the George R. Brown for 15 years. "When you get downtown and see nowhere to park, you want to turn around and run away."

Jennie Crowder, coordinator for the Hunters Extravaganza, said it has become so bad that she has been looking at other facilities to house her annual event.

"I've called Reliant and am waiting to hear back from them," she said. "I've heard they have ample parking."

City sees no shortage

But city officials respond that there is plenty of parking near the convention center and that the number of spaces has been increasing.

Less than a year ago, the city added 1,600 spaces in a parking garage that serves the convention center and the new Hilton Americas-Houston.

Plus, there are around 3,000 spaces in surface lots nearby, said Dawn Ullrich, director of the city's Convention and Entertainment Facilities Department. And there's a garage built for the Toyota Center and more than 1,700 spaces surrounding Minute Maid Park, she said.

Crowder recognizes the parking garage as an improvement but said the majority of patrons for the Hunters Extravaganza require surface parking for large trucks and trailers.

"Consequently, people have to park four or six blocks away and pay very expensive parking," she said. "It's not convenient."

Planner begs to differ

Crowder, who also holds shows in Fort Worth and San Antonio, said Houston ranks at the bottom in terms of parking.

Ullrich said the convention center's supply of parking is ample and that the city has a plan if there's a future shortage of spaces.

Lots flanking both sides of the newly expanded convention center have been earmarked for 1,000-car garages, should the need arise.

Ullrich said the convention center area has undergone huge changes, and it will take some time for attendees to realize their parking options.

"We believe we're well provided for the parking needs in both the short and long term," she said.

'Small price to pay'

Michael Hassler, a real estate broker with CB Richard Ellis, said the large number of surrounding lots will easily pick up the spaces that are lost to the park.

"There's not a shortage of parking," said Hassler, who specializes in downtown properties. "It's a small price to pay, in my opinion."

The proposed park, to be built by 2007 at the front door of the convention center, is expected to trigger retail and residential development, strengthening the city's tax base.

Richard Lapin, deputy chief of staff for Mayor Bill White, said the city should hope for a day when there are more people downtown than there is space for parking.

"There's a ton of parking around the Brown that frankly we hope might be developed," Lapin said. "There's a quilt show going on right now

actually while in downtown, I was watching some convention people walking from past MAIN to go to the GRB. So I don't know what they were whining about anyway. Granted, they can use parking for larger trucks, but that is already available.

Ricco

What is up with these people? The garage next to the Hilton was designed to serve both the hotel and the convention center and has covered, climate controlled skywalks to the GRB. I'd much rather park there, with my car under cover and out of the hot sun, and walk to the GRB through air conditioned corridors than park in those surface lots.

I think a lot of this is misperception by people who come downtown once or twice a year. They haven't realized that there are over a thousand new spaces in a garage half a block away that's opened since their last trip to the GRB.

Anyway, with our "fattest city" problem, if a few people do end up parking five or six blocks away, the short walk shouldn't hurt them too much.

I suspect most of these people are suburbanites who aren't used to walking more than 50 ft. anywhere to get from their car to the front door.

Sullivan sez:

I think a lot of this is misperception by people who come downtown once or twice a year. They haven't realized that there are over a thousand new spaces in a garage half a block away that's opened since their last trip to the GRB.

Anyway, with our "fattest city" problem, if a few people do end up parking five or six blocks away, the short walk shouldn't hurt them too much.

I suspect most of these people are suburbanites who aren't used to walking more than 50 ft. anywhere to get from their car to the front door.

I didn't think of that, Sullivan! That's an excellent observation!

Well, I was in downtown 3 times today and at about 8am (I think) there were quite a few people with badges that were heading for the GRB before it opened. they were walking there in groups of 3, 4, and higher.

Ricco

The whining in this article has two sources: (1) the woman who wants people to park within 20 yards of the convention center because you can do it in Waco or whereever, and (2) Houston's car culture. Get out and walk people!! Lose those pounds!!

Frankly, if a bridal type event requires such convenient parking, it's probably only a marginal economic event for the GRB and only a symptom of hopefully moving the dynamics of the facility on to bigger and better things . . .

I actually thought it was a ridiculous story... Nancy Sarnoff, and the Houston Chronicle, can do better. A couple of people whining about a to-be-built park in downtown (much more needed than more parking!!) does not warrant coverage. It is not a controversy... and I have no idea why they are trying to portray it as such. Just stupid. I'm sorry... is this a city of 2 million+ people or is it Brenham? That story would never run in a real newspaper. I swear, half the time my local community newsletter has more pertinent stories than the Chronicle. :angry:

Hey Chronicle... here is a story for you (if you want to cover a controversial park topic downtown). What happened to the redevelopment plans for Root Park??? - across from the Toyota Center. Remember that proposal???... the park was going to be reconfigured, a basketball court and more landscaping were going to be incorporated. The Rockets even discussed their contributions to it... as well as perhaps buying another block across the street from the entrance to the Toyota Center for even more park space. I passed Root Park this morning... tons of vagrants and a lot of litter. All of this is just a few blocks away from the area near the Convention Center.... and a park that was promised to be delivered to the citizens of H-town more than a year ago. There - my friends - is a story I'd be interested in.

So, rather than writing up the travails of a fat ass from Tomball that is too lazy to walk a few blocks (she must have gotten the Convention Center parking situation confused with going to the mall), the Houston Chronicle could perhaps investigate real stories.... but I guess that might be asking too much. Our hometown newspaper is a joke.

Funny, Goal.

When I was going by there this morning, I was thinking the same thing. Do you think the plans were put on hold, or abandoned altogether?

When I went by there again in the afternoon, there was a line of them while they were given a handout by a church or something.

It seems more likely that this will do more to steer people to other parts of the city on a Saturday afternoon away from downtown. At least Sundays are still free. If I'm some sort of cultural arts event organizer, I'm trying to schedule as many Sunday events as possible.

Also, I can't imagine the city making THAT much money over the long haul.

Regardless, a decision such as this seems to contradict the mayor's desire to help make downtown a more attractive place for people to come out and recreate outside of the usual 8-5 Mon-Fri.

Toyota Center crews clean Root Park during the weekday mornings. There are not nearly as many bums now as there were two years ago.

Remember when the Rockets wanted to move all the bums to Elizabeth Baldwin Park in Midtown?

The upgrades to Root (outdoor baseketball, water fountains, etc.) was nothing more than a smoke-screen to run off a few bums. The Rockets are no friend of downtown.

Print It

This announcement is nothing but a positive. Houston lacks park space when compared to most American cities. Thus, any new park is a good plan. Secondly, Houston is far less "forested" now than it was just 20 years ago. Thus, any new green space is a plus. Thirdly, if this does spur local development, I will trade the possible "kickbacks" to developers for the new tax dollars and hopefully increases in local population. More folks living, working, and playing in downtown means potentially less sprawl and congestion. Additionally, building a park to help spur development is MUCH MUCH MUCH better and cheaper than building a highway to nowhere (Grand Parkway).

Honestly, ONLY in Houston would the development of 13 acres of green space on lots that are currently used for surface parking, bring out the conservative naysayers. It really is unbelievable.

It would make too much sense to develop parks where people already live.

Instead, lets cater to the real estate speculators who own the adjoining property.

Minute Maid and Toyota are proof that the "if you build it, they will come" is not a valid concept.

Same will hold true for this park.

Print It

A city can benefit from the development of a major park downtown, witness Chicago's Millienium Park. Yeah, I'm mentioning ChiTown again, but at least they get it. The fear is that Houston's shot at this will be less than stellar and in fact mediocre. If so, why bother. I have absolutely no confidence that Houston's leaders, either business or political have the guts to do it right.

From http://nreionline.com/mag/real_estate_mill...park_energizes/

Millennium Park Energizes Chicago's East Loop

Paula Widholm

Oct 1, 2004 12:00 PM

While locals and tourists alike enjoy Millennium Park's numerous amenities, including interactive fountains and elaborate gardens, developers are carving out residences and retail around the destination at the eastern edge of downtown Chicago.

Since the July opening of the 24.5-acre, $475 million park, which also features a performing arts pavilion, theater, restaurant and ice-skating rink,

Honestly, ONLY in Houston would the development of 13 acres of green space on lots that are currently used for surface parking, bring out the conservative naysayers. It really is unbelievable.

A couple of years ago, when the city was talking about developing that block surrounded by courthouses as a plaza with a fountain in the middle, the Houston Business Journal ran a column on its editorial page griping about replacing the surface parking lot with a public plaza. :blink: Go figure.

I really don't think the park is some kind of trick to appease developers. My guess is that the whole idea that it will spur any kind of develpment around there is highly bogus. White was just saying that as a way of justifying the use of public funds on something as frivolous as a public park.

I find it ironic that someone with "Midtown" in their name would complain that the city is thinking too far ahead in putting a park where people don't yet live. I think most of us only wish the city had done more planning before Midtown's redevelopment began. I have passed by the parking lots before and thought what a waste they were, since the curved roads do give the place a master-planned feel that the parking lots just ruined.

That said, I am concerned that the city won't design a park that is actually attractive to residents and/or won't maintain it when it's done. Clearly, park maintenance is not the city's forte . . .

Well said, Kinkaid... Only in Houston would someone complain about developing a park at the expense of losing a few parking spaces... :rolleyes:

And I loved firstngoal's post too... and I agree 100% with it... Sarnoff and the Chronical can do much better than that...

Archived